1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why did we let Hargrave walk?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Benny Lava, Aug 28, 2023.

1. Brice

Brice

Jul 18, 2018
    Because Cam and Tuitt were better. Hargave would have been stuck at NT for the Steelers.

It was a good move for Hargrave to change teams and go to a 4-3 Defense.

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Successful draft pick = Colbert
    Unsuccessful draft pick =Tomlin
    What are you, new to the board? Everyone knows that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Ah, my bad.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Blame MT for everything?! Hardly. I have supported that man since becoming a Steelers Fan in 2008. That said, just because I support him does not absolve him from criticism.

Here is a better way of stating my final thoughts on Green

Tomlin, Colbert, Klemm and AR 2 all take blame here. Tomlin though gets the majority as he is the one who spoke so much of him after the 2021 Drafts conclusion.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not correct from my point good sir.

If a pick hits, all get credit. If not, all get blame. Don't lump me in with other people. :drinks:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I guess we won't lump you in as long as we can find post of you giving Tomlin credit for a good pick....where is it???

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

We?!

Never mind that though, were you here during the months leading up to the 2023 Draft on the Message Board?! What about 2022?! 2021 even?!

I have sung his praises to the stratosphere. Merely accrediting one man in something as arduous as Scouting is silly. :lolol:

8. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Well in defense of the KG pick I don't see how the Steelers could be blamed for something they have no control over. It doesn't matter if they started him his Rookie year or attempted to insert him now...it's not about skill or knowing the playbook...it's about physical traits that he does not possess nor will he ever like possess that would make him an effective center or backup at the guard position. His lack of size or strength is not something you can teach so regardless of the pick whether it was 3rd or 7th the same outcome would have happened.

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

The Steelers can be blamed for the team drafted him knowing he accured less than a full seasons worth of experience as a Center. That isn't on Kendrick Green as he was literally Green to the position. By contrast, Artie Burns can be blamed for he had extensive experience playing Corner at Miami. The same cannot be said for Kendrick Green; four games total at Illinois.

It is one thing to state that the team is to take blame if a player doesn't develop. It is another all together if that player is playing a position that is as foreign to him as learning another language.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I'm a little confused by this post. If you are claiming that Green lacks the sufficient talent to be a successful lineman in the NFL, is it not the Steelers fault for not seeing that and overdrafting him in the third round? Was it not the Steelers coaching staff who tried to fit a square peg into a round hole by playing Green at center? A position where he had very little experience at?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I'm going off the statement that the Steelers failed Kendrick Green. They took a chance on him is what they did. He was never going to be good enough to play any position on that OLine even if they had drafted him to play the position he was most familiar with. Like I said his not succeeding had nothing to do with his skill at the position, coaching, or field intelligence. His physical traits is what failed him, not the Steelers organization.

12. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    To me this isn't rocket science....Let's just say I had a dream to play in the NFL and a team decided to take a chance on me...even as a average Joe (undrafted) off the street but who received accolades as a college player. Let's say I played mostly safety, but last 4 games of my college career I played corner and was pretty good at either position.

I get to camp...I'm just as good as a starter with learning technique, knowing game situations, and I soak up coaching but my speed is insufficient to play corner or safety. For the most part I suck, but it's due to my speed always keeping me out of position. Did the organization fail me or did my physical traits fail me??

How can u say that a organization failed someone in regards to something that they had no power over??

At any rate, they've traded him to the Texans now so we'll eventually see if the statement "the Steelers organization failed him" is correct.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
  13. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    While I agree that Green may have never succeeded at a starting level, to say that his failure has nothing to do with his skill or coaching staff seems quite short sighted. That's like saying if a player succeeds, it's only because of his natural ability, not the coaching.
    Either way, it is a fact that Green had very little experience in college at center and that's exactly where the Steelers put him.
    It still falls on the organization to find talent in the earlier rounds and as a third round pick, Green can be considered a rather large failure. Undoubtedly, some of that blame falls on the organization. At the very least, in the evaluation process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Theres players that switch positions in the pros all the time...some in the early stages of their career.. others later in their career to extend their playing days with no prior time playing that position...theres nothing unusual about that as much as you and AQL make it out to be and you still missed the point of making a statement that says a organization failed Kendrick Green. At the very least it's still up for debate until we see what the Texans can do with him.

15. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    To be clear, I never said the organization failed him. You claimed the organization played no part in his failure. I disagree with that assessment. Also, players do switch positions but most aren't thrust into a starting position at one of the most important positions on the field, after only playing that position a handful of games.

16. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    They didn't play a part in his failure and I stand by that until the Texans or another team proves different. They started him because he was a third rd pick and they didn't have a better option. What else did you want them to do?? They had no trade capital, and If they grabbed someone off a waiver wire then there's a reason why they're on the waiver wire. I'm curious to know what you felt they were supposed to do?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Or maybe Green failed himself, they shouldn't have made him a starter as a rookie, but what's his excuse now two years later and he still sucks?

• Like Like x 1
  18. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    He's clearly a troll.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Oh, I agree that they did him no favors by first drafting him too high then asking him to play center. I would have never dreamt he had any trade value, but Omar managed to wrangle a 6th rounder from the Texans in '25. All Hail Omar!

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    He is a she

Try to keep up GoldBunny

See what happens when you hide behind the ignore button you miss valuable information from knowledgeable members

21. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Green was a reach in the third round. That's not Green's fault, the Steelers over valued him and chose him too high when at best he was likely a 4th or 5th rounder as a left guard. How the hell is that Green's fault? What's he supposed to say? "No man don't take me in the third. Wait a couple of rounds." I get what you're saying. However, not every guard can play center and vice versa. How the hell is it Green's fault the Steelers passed on Creed Humphrey to take Pat Freiermuth when their offensive line was perfectly dreadful? I'm not arguing Freiermuth wasn't worth it. He's a stud. But I thought then (and still do) that center was the more important need at the time. Yes, Green stunk at center and apparently was not in the Steelers plans as a back-up guard, either. However, the Steelers whistled past the graveyard with this offensive line for about four seasons past it's use-by date, and they reached badly for a center. Not exactly the same but similar situation with Terrell Edmunds. They needed a safety and they overreached for him by taking him in the first round. He was a productive player, but he wasn't a first-round talent. There were services that had him as an early third round choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  22. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    He simply couldn't hack it as a center. I don't know what was discussed between Steeler brass and Green before they took hum. But I can't imagine he said "No way" when they asked if he would/could play center when he had five starts in his collegiate career there. Yes, Green failed, but the Steelers have to absorb some of the blame for his failure. I hope he at least can carve out some sort of an NFL career for himself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm one of the Biggest MT supporters on here...everyone can tell You that, but I believe everyone in the organization failed Green....that doesn't mean He would have been good, but He didn't get achance......if You don't think it matters....why haven't they started our number one pick at LT???

• Like Like x 1
  24. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    Because unlike the center position when KG showed up they have better options at LT. I don't think you're going to find anybody brave enough to say BJ Finney was even remotely a better option at Center, or JC Hassenauer who never started at any position in college but always came in as a reseve. Bj Finney was an undrafted free agent himself and he was out of the league by the end of the season. People may have already forgotten Creed Humphrey was sitting there when they picked Freiermuth. They went all in on Freiermuth and tried to supplement the move with Green..is anybody going to say going with Freiermuth was a mistake??

Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Who