1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can't I find that guy....?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by TarheelFlyer, Mar 19, 2016.

1. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Typically by this point in the draft process I have a guy that I want the Steelers to target in the draft. Last year it was Dupree. At one point it was Heath. Another Eifert. It doesn't happen every year, but almost every year I find "that guy" who I really want to fall to our draft spot. I watch the draft saying, please don't take Player X, I want him to be a Steeler.

Sell me on someone. Who should be that guy? The guy who I want to fall to us. Someone other teams are going to screw up and not take. Who is it?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Sheldon Rankins in the first, William Jackson III in the second and Justin Simmons in the third. Players in my eyes that would "fall" to when we are picking and would be great additions. I think all three go higher than where we are slotted imo, but draft predictions are always so crazy.

3. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I will say early in the offseason my "man crush" was on Kendall Fuller and then I watched game film and that was gone. However people have pointed out that his injury had a lot to do with it so I need to go back and watch some 2014 tape. So now I am not really not sure I have a guy I want in the 1st but I do have several players that I really would like at some points in the draft. I know I was real high on Tyler Higbee TE but with Green here that has gone.......I would still love to draft this guy after the 4th. Currently I really like a few CB, Harlan Miller is a guy I want bad and if we could get him in the 3rd I would consider that a steal. Also Mac has put up a guy named Frankie Williams and like Miller is a very under the radar guy who show big time #1 potential. Also add Sean Davis and Cyrus Jones to the list of CB that I like. Victor Ochi is a guy who had one hell of a shrine game that I am also warming up to as well.

I am finding myself more interested in guys mid round to fa level then I am in the 1st round. I will say this if there was something I want in the 1st more then anything then that would be to trade back and gain a few more picks 3rd, 4th and/or 5th but I don't want to trade out of the 1st. Not sure this is what you were asking but look at these guys I have mentioned and you won't be disappointed.

4. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I think my thought was more about the first round than the other rounds. I do have guys I like in later rounds, but it is really had to say that a 4th rounder is going to fall to us and be overlooked. To me, Dupree was a guy who just continued to drop. I loved his ceiling, but just couldn't see him falling all the way to us based on mocks...and then he did. I just haven't found that guy this year yet. Maybe I will, but at the moment....I just am not so sure. Right now, getting say Tenn's 33rd and 64th picks sound better to me than any player at 25. Maybe that changes for me as we get closer to the draft, but at the moment I just am not feeling it.

5. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I actually have two for the first round- Billings and Alexander. If both of them are there, I don't know which one I'd go with, although I'd lean alexander

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    My guy this year is Braxton Miller. Idk that he is a first round target (probably second), but he's still a guy I want to end up getting.

Idk about the first round tho. There are just more guys I like than a single guy I love. Plus, we have multiple positions we could be looking at, so it widens the pool. A DT like Rankins or Billings, edge rushers like Ogbah, Spence, Dodd, Lawson, or a CB like Alexander, Apple or Jackson. I hope we stay put at 25, because I think we would have at least a couple of the guys I've listed above available to us. It would be nice to have a small handful of excellent prospects to pick from. We really couldn't go wrong.

7. muthjv

muthjv Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2012

\my two picks too.
    i'd go alexander in the first because i believe there is more depth at dl in the second

8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    If Alexander were there when they got to us at 25, I'd be inclined to trade down but not out of the first round. Maybe with KC. Picking up maybe an additional 3rd round pick and still having Billings & Jackson on the board would be nice.

9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I read somewhere Alexander had no INT's, not sure about that but it went on to say no CB with no INT's was ever drafted in the !st. Not exactly sure about that stat or if I said it right but it was something like that. Anyways I am rooting for a trade back, awhile ago I post what last years trades netted and I am all for it. I feel we could move back 2 spot and gain 2 more picks and I also feel we could really load up in the 3-5 round range.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The one thing about Alexander is that he doesn't give up big plays. I read somewhere (maybe NFL draft scout) that he entered the FBS championship game on a 23 game streak of not allowing a TD. Of course he gave up nothing in that game before injuring his hammy in the 2nd quarter, so the streak is 24 games. He also tackles well for a corner, and has a knack for blowing up bubble screens. He's a good football player.

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I like the fact that he is pretty confident in his play, I don't want a guy who just don't believe in himself. From what I am reading I say he goes before us but that also means someone has to drop. Right now I want to watch Fuller's 2014 tape, he was my early mock man crush and I was turned off what I watched on this years game tape. It was pointed out his injury had a lot to do with that so I need to watch him again. I think there is a good chance we may have a shot at Alexander, but Apple and Fuller may be good back up plans which may allow us to move back a few spots.

12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    nope no picks, but did practice against sammy watkins and martavis bryant a couple of years ago. :shrug::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    One bit of advice, when watching Fuller keep in mind what we ask corners to do in our scheme. VT often put him on an island, and that's where he struggled. With the play in front of him, he closes fast and makes plays on the ball. He's also very good covering underneath with help over the top, and may be the best tackling and blitzing CB in this draft. He really fits what we do IMO, and we should value him higher than teams who do a lot of cover zero and cover 1.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    To be fair, I watched at least 5 of his games and saw only 2 opportunities for him to pick off a pass. Both were tough catches to make. Teams avoided him other than going safely underneath him when the coverage scheme dictated that he bail and allow the underneath stuff to protect against the deep ball. I'm not overly concerned about the lack of ints because I just didn't see the opportunities. Notre Dame challenged him a few times with Will Fuller, and he completely shut Fuller down. Fuller came into that game with 6 TDs in his first 4 games, and he had 2 catches for 37 yards against Clemson with Alexander covering him most of the day.

• Informative Informative x 1