1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

why can NE trade down and we cant.. thats why they are good

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by HinesWardHOF, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I certainly hope our FO never makes personnel decisions based on what fans want.

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    They are what they are because of Tom Brady. Period. Let's forget for a second what you see on the field in terms of throwing, reading defenses and decision making. He is a leader who sets a great example for his teammates. Brady understands that a team has to play one game at a time, and he focuses on each opponent like it's the last game of the season. This rubs off on his teammates, and that's why you rarely see the Pats lose to lesser teams. He also plays every series like his team NEEDs a TD, even if they are in complete control. Again, this desire and leadership motivates his teammates and that's why they finish games. His leadership is huge key their success - I would say key #1. Another key is that he is the rare - maybe only - franchise QB that puts winning over a big payday. He has never been the highest paid QB in the league, and I don't know if he's ever even been in the top 3. While Flacco just got 20 M/yr, and other QBs like Ryan and Rodgers are looking for 21+, Brady just signed a 12 M/yr extension. He has consistently over his career accepted less than his market value, and that has allowed the Pats to do quite a bit to sign and retain other players. Without Brady taking less than his value, they would not have been able to retain both Logan Mankins and Vince Wilfork a few years ago. It has also allowed them to absorb a pretty long list of highly selected draft picks who have either busted, or have yet to show any value: '08: Tenrrance Wheatley (2nd), Shawn Crable (3rd); '09: Ron Brace (2nd), Darius Butler (2nd); '10: Jermaine Cunningham (2nd), Taylor Price (3rd); '11: Ras-i Dowling (2nd - pick #33 after a trade up). They have also busted big time on trades and signings: Albert Haynesworth and Chad Johnson come to mind. They just parted ways with their only outside receiver, Brandon Lloyd, because of locker room issues. Through it all, Brady has been the force that has allowed them to weather a proportionally large number of bad personnel decisions. Make no mistake. Brady is the reason that the Pats are who they are. Period.

3. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013

:facepalm: WOW, am I on the wrong board here.

4. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Why? Do you disagree with my logic, or do you just hate Brady and the Pats? I despise Brady and the Pats as much as anyone, but I recognize who the guy is and why he has been the #1 key to making them a top tier team over the past decade.

5. fansince40s

fansince40s Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013

I don't hate Brady in fact I think he is a lot of what you say he is but I come here to talk and see others thoughts on Steelers football, not how great the Patriots and Brady are, but on second thought this is the draft room so maybe anything goes here.

6. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    The reason is that people are blasting our front office for not being like the Pats' front office. I am simply pointing out that the Pats' front office has made a bunch of bad personnel decisions over recent year - easily far more than ours has - but they have Brady and nobody else does. So, I was responding to the baseless assertions.

7. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    The most important thing is

the songlist for our new HOF players

i'm stuck on Shamarko

maybe when he hits someone hard we can shout

POLO!!

8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    This should have been painfully obvious to anyone following along the thread. God forbid we deviate even a little from the Steelers in order to make a point that in fact is supporting the Steelers :doh:

9. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I was sitting in my living room with several Pats fans last night. I never heard so much profanity before when the Pats traded down.

"We do this every f**** year"
    "Brady isn't getting younger, why the f*** are we not giving him top end talent"
    "Just more players to cut before the season starts"

TRUST ME, Pats fans are not happy with alot of the moves they have been making the past 5 years.

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    I would have traded our 17 pick for what Belichick got for his 29 pick, he got the vikes 2-3-4-7 picks in this draft, I wonder if the vikes called when we was on the clock, if they did we blew a gang buster trade for sure...

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    That's pretty funny. I think it was clearly the correct move for them at the time, given that this is a deep draft, with minimal "1st round" talent, and where the #29 and #52 players have similar grades. I have a feeling that they will package some of those picks and go for a WR in the early part of the 2nd. I think Justin Hunter gives them the right fit given everything else on their roster, and Brady's accuracy throwing over the top.

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Just remember, Tom Brady doesn't have that many years left. Most Pats fans know, when he is gone, their dominance is going to come to an end. They would rather equip him with weapons and try to win another SB. These 3rd and 4th round picks probably aren't going to crack their starting lineup.

13. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011

Now you're over playing my words. I'm not talking about someone who is 35 or 60 or whatever. You're making a big deal over someone who is only a year or 2 older than most of the other draft picks. Example Vaccaro is 22....Fisher the very first pick was 22...Patterson is 22...Eifert 22...Jones is currently 23. This was my point...he's not much older than the other players drafted or other players people wanted the Steelers to take. We're not talking about a 34 year old player here...and I'm not saying age isn't a concern. I'm saying its not a concern right now. Hell we're not the Eagles who drafted a 27-28 y/o linemen a couple years ago...or the Browns who took Weeden who was 27-28 last year. Harrison didnt start until he was 27-28...same thing with Keisel....and both of them turned out just fine.

While yes...he may sit some he may not...with a lot of the previous D first rounders they still had solid starters in front of them...

Timmons had Foote and Farrior
    Hood had Smith
    Heyward has Keisel

Other non-first rounders that had the same thing happen:

Harrison had Porter
    Keisel had Kimo
    Worilds had Harrison and Woodley

I do think unlike these past situations...all the Steelers have now is Worilds who is not locked up beyond this season....and Woodley who is. Jones should easily play some this year (maybe like Aldon Smith as someone said)...and could easily be the starter next year especially if Worilds is not around or flops this year and becomes backup.

And again as far as his medical stuff...as I said your a fool if you think the Steelers would still take him if he had a bunch of red flags. I dont care about USC a few years ago. He's played for 2 years now and has gotten many clean bills of health.

You're trying to say I dont know what I'm talking about and I have a lack of knowledge? You're trying to put words into my mouth. Just because YOU dont like the pick...and you're looking at a bunch of reasons that really dont even matter one bit at this point. He was the best pick with who was available and he does fill a need...thats all there is to it. Hate it all you want...but its not going to change it.

14. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    No way...move from 17 all the way down to well...the Steelers 2nd round pick (as the Vikings pick after them)? Yes they'd have the power to move up if needed...but no. If the Vikes included one of their 1sts and a couple of those picks sure...thats more fair. No way the Steelers take that deal and move that far down.

15. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Age is not much of a factor to me at least at this point. Look at Harrison's stats. 2004 was the first year he played at all for us. He was 26. His first "great" season was 8.5 sacks at the age of 29....29! Up till that point over 3 seasons he had 4 total sacks.

Let's relax about the age a little.

16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i think jones age work in his favour is one year more mature than normal draft picks , and btw he will see the field a lot in his first year ,

17. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    I was going to respond earlier in the day that I would be frustrated as a Pats fan, as they've played this game a few times too many. But I was feeling lazy...

18. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Thank you! :thumbs_up:

19. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: and finally :facepalm:

20. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    3rd best player on our defence? Come on, that's going a little crazy. There's some questions about how effective he's going to be in a 3-4. Yes, I know he played 3-4 in college, but this isn't college. He's definitely more suited for the 4-3. The guy is too small for the 3-4, doesn't really have any pass rush moves other than pure speed around the edge and he's not that good against the run. I don't see how on earth you can say he's our 3rd best defensive player.

21. bedwyr

bedwyr Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I wonder how Tom Brady feels about this trade down. He's one of the greatest QB's of all time and he's getting nothing out of this years draft to help him. Good job he's 28 eh.

22. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    A little early to say that. Only 2 of the WR's are off the board and the Pats weren't in any position to get Tavon Austin, nor would he be a good fit anyway with Amendola there already. The Pats can still draft a WR or two.

23. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    since when is 6-2 245 small? timmons is smaller. carter, spence, and foote are smaller. you watch the games he played and he just shows up. he makes plays in the big games and doesnt disappeare. maybe i should have said it different. he may not be the 3rd best now but i bet by december he will be.

24. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    The knock on him is he's too small to play 3-4 OLB. It's not like I'm making this up, that is the scouting report on the guy.

25. 3x5

3x5 Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Where are you getting this from? Everything I have seen says the opposite, with some sources saying we are exactly the scheme he would be good for. Additionally he's bigger than James Harrison: 6'2" 245lbs vs 6' 242lbs.