1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Can’t the Pirates find a decent first baseman?

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Quadrupleyoi, May 30, 2024.

1. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I mean, first is at the extreme left of the leftward drift, the easiest defensive position. Any outfielder or third baseman should be able to adapt, and many do as they age and lose range. How is it possible that the Pirates consistently get so little offense out of the position that should give you the most run production?
    Connor Joe is doing fine, but he should be a platoon player. Where is the other half of the platoon?

• Like Like x 2
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    On another board we had a Tellez countdown to a batting average of .150. He came close and then he goes and gets 2 hits in a game.

3. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    Meanwhile, Lamb (who hits left but throws right, and so can play some third as well as first) is hitting .333 with an OPS just below.900…. at Indy. He is not on the 40 man and I don’t know what it would take to make that move.
    Does Tellez own a sex tape starring members of the front office and the Pirate Parrot or something? I just can’t think of any reasonable explanation for him being around.
    Could he somehow be traded to the Steelers? He looks like a man who could be useful on third and short, or in goal line situations.
    At some point they gotta make a move. Is June 1 his expiration date?

4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Saw an article where Reynolds was "informally" trying out 1st base during practice since he seems to be slipping a bit in the OF apparently. :shrug:

5. Quadrupleyoi

Dec 23, 2017
    It is a known (though little discussed) phenomenon that a player’s offense can improve if he is switched to an easier defensive position. That is the real reason for the leftward drift, to keep a good bat in the lineup as the guy loses defensive ability. Too bad there are only two corners to put guys at! Has Reynolds’ range factor gone down? I did not see that article. He is only 29, usually it happens in the early 30s, unless there has been an injury.