1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why aren't we using Edmunds to cover TEs?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TenaciousD, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    In Sutton's defense he had really good coverage on the TD to Josh Gordon. That was just an excellent "high point the ball" type of catch by Gordon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think the unfortunate answer is that he's not very good at it.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It should be a combination of safety and LB, especially for TEs like Gronk and Kelce.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, I can see why someone like you would think of accuracy as laughable given your aversion to it.

Uzomah's statistics support my assessment, not yours. He's a scrub who was made to look better than he really is Sunday because Sutton wasn't getting the job done.

Regarding the depth chart argument, are you really so dense that you still don't get the point or is this an act to avoid admitting you were wrong? Uzomah is a third-stringer who has been forced into first-string snaps by injury. You're clutching at a flawed semantic argument because the reality doesn't fit your point of view. Uzomah is listed as the top tight end because the two guys ahead of him both got hurt.

Uzomah is a fourth-year player who had caught all of 45 passes in 34 career games for the Bengals. His season high had been three receptions. Sutton did such a wonderful job Sunday that Uzomah set a career high in receptions with six and racked up over 50 yards receiving for only the second time in his career. He is the definition of a scrub, yet you are clinging to some ridiculous semantic argument while I bury you in statistical accuracy.

Now you are just reminding me of this.

5. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He was in position, but failed to make the play. It was a hell of a play by Gordon, but Sutton had his hand in there. He needs to be strong enough to knock that ball away.

6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    You are misinformed. Uzomah surpassed Kroft on the depth chart this season He has been the clear backup to Eifert over Kroft, even when Kroft was healthy. Eifert is now on IR. Which is no surprise, because he is always on IR. Not sure you can call a guy a starter who has been out for 2 and a half years and then came back, played a few games, and went back on IR. Uzomah is the starter. When Kroft comes back, Uzomah will still be the starter. Eifert will retire after his year. You keep pounding your chest but you have zero proof to back up your claim that he is a third stringer. I have provided you two links that state otherwise. I'm not sure if you follow fantasy or not but there are plenty of articles stating that Uzomah is the Cincy TE to own with Eifert out. Do a little research before you post.

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Guess this article is full of chit too.

C.J. Uzomah, TE, Cincinnati Bengals (99 percent available)

After Tyler Eifert (ankle) suffered another tough-luck, gruesome injury in Week 4 -- the Bengals are back to their tight end by committee of previous years. Tyler Kroft led the committee without Eifert in 2017 and put up 8.9 FPG (TE14 in PPR), but C.J. Uzomah has run ahead of Kroft as the Bengals' No. 2 tight end so far. Per PFF, Uzomah has run 75 pass routes to Kroft's minuscule 25 routes in Weeks 1-4. If you're going to throw a waiver wire dart at a Bengals tight end, make it Uzomah.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nf...m=false&p.tcm=%23000&p.bgc1m=%23EAEAEA&sr=amp

8. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    In case you two were too busy swinging your handbags to review the game:

Uzomah had 6 receptions on 7 targets. But only three receptions (24 yards) on four targets were against Sutton. Fwiw, each of these catches was followed by a quick tackle for essentially no YAC. (And Uzomah pushed off without being flagged on one of the catches.) Sutton also successfully defended an eighth Uzomah target, but the play was negated by Watt jumping offsides.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Now I see your problem. You are relying on fantasy sports websites for much of your perception of the NFL in place of real experts who do actual reporting on the game.

I really do love the way the Black Knight keeps hopping around thinking he can win a fight he lost days ago. Uzomah is a scrub. The third-stringer comment was absolutely fair, but more importantly, the statistics back my point. He set a career high in receptions thanks to the work of Cam Sutton and you think Sutton did a good job. That's the argument you are trying to make here. It's deteriorating from amusing to sad.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Next time make sure your link actually works. It is more effective that way.

11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Good point, far better than anything that other guy has come up with. Sutton also failed to make plays on balls to other receivers Sunday.

12. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Bringing the gun (facts) to a knife fight. I like it....your accuracy is quite impressive Sir....:smiley1:

13. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018

Get over yourself. Your wrong. Your points are childish and silly. You base all of your statements off of your own opinion, and there are ZERO actual facts behind any of your statements. Google is your friend. Maybe do a search on something before embarrassing yourself.

14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Here's another on for you. From Fansided

Stripe Hype

[​IMG]
    The Future at Tight End: Cincinnati Bengals’ C.J. Uzomah
    [​IMG]by Brad Griffith8w ago
    The often overlooked C.J. Uzomah is used to flying under the radar. Will the Cincinnati Bengals give him more time to develop his untapped potential?

Making our way through the Cincinnati Bengals’ preseason, Tyler Eifert has had a roller coaster start to this season, which shouldn’t surprise anyone. This has become the norm for Eifert and it leaves fans asking “what could have been?” With a late return to training camp following precautions from an injury, Eifert has now found himself with limited playing time to prevent re-injuring his nagging back. With the probability that Eifert can’t last a whole season very high, the Bengals have continued to prepare by giving starting reps to C.J. Uzomah.

15. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    This will be my last post on this subject. We have spent far to much time debating the Bungles depth-chart.

My point is this. Uzomah is a marginal player in this league with some upside. Cam Sutton is a young player in this league who is slowly showing improvement. Regardless of your opinion of him, Uzomah is currently the best option the Bengals have at Tight End. Cam Sutton had the task of covering him, and did a pretty good job of doing so. Personally I felt like it was one of Cam's best efforts to date.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    People need to remember that people were calling Troy Polamalu a bust in his first year in this league. He ended up becoming in my opinion the best safety to ever play the position.

Is Terrell going to live up to those standards? Probably not, but it just goes to show this isn't something that generally happens overnight.

They drafted Terrell for his measurables and athleticism with experience playing linebacker and safety. He's showing improvement which is a positive. He also has a good attitude and appears to have a good work ethic. I never expected him to be a "Gronk killer". Who is in this league?

IMO, Terrell still looks very much like a rookie out there, which is OK because he is a rookie. He has made some good plays. I think people just need to be supportive of him. Think he'll be a good player in this league in time.

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Interesting with the safety grade on Sean Davis. I recall some people on here were calling for his head earlier.

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Troy showed flashes of what he would become throughout his rookie season, and his college career made it obvious that he had the potential to be real thing. Edmunds hasn't shown much yet, good or bad. His college career was inconclusive, IMO.

19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Edmunds had a pick that some may interpret as being "flashy". He's also had other good plays.

The point is we can all speculate about how Edmunds will be as a player in this league, but at this point speculation is all that it is. He's progressively been getting better. Too early to make an accurate judgment on this pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Davis has always shown flashes. Burns has too. They just need to do it consistently. The secondary in general seems to be communicating better. Hopefully if Davis and Edmunds keep improving we will have a nice saftey tandem in time for a playoff push.

21. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    You guys are both right. Subjectively, Sean Spence was our #1 OLB and starter material last season. Objectively, Sean Spence is couch material and was on the field only because Shazier was in a hospital bed.

Obviously, Uzomah is between those extremes.
    :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  22. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I agree it's too early to determine anything.
    I just don't see how the fans opinions of Troy in his rookie season relates to Edmunds. Maybe the same fans who said Troy was a bust think Edmunds is the real deal and they'll be wrong again, or vice versa.

23. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I've never heard that one before and it made me actually laugh out loud. Thanks for making my morning, Clive!

• Like Like x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Now you think statistics are a silly basis for an argument? Do you even know what a fact is? I've been providing statistical evidence to back up my point all along. You've been relying on fantasy sports sights and sticking your head in the sand. You were beaten on the larger point pages ago. The semantic argument you've used to try to cover your failure isn't much better.

Now you are resorting to arguing that statistics are not facts and that arguments based on statistics are silly and childish. You've been embarrassing yourself for a while. I've been trying to help you out, but some people just don't know when to accept much-needed assistance.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, what we really needed to raise the level of discourse was a joke based in misogyny.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 2