1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are we not signing a Running Back?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DukeDukeDaDaDa, Apr 13, 2020.

1. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Because running backs are going the way of the kicker. Yes, they are important in important spots, but league rules have pretty much made them expendable no matter how good they are.

2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I was listening to draft guru Ryan Wilson on 93.7 the Fan yesterday and he said the Steelers are hoping that Jonathan Taylor will be there at #49. He thought that CEH should be the pick but the Steelers brass looks upon Taylor as a more "traditional" NFL type RB.

3. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think he has missed games because he was tackled too hard & got bruised.

Someone stepped on his foot & he missed games.

Ankle sprains left & right, missing games.

4. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    He missed a lot of 2018 but I think he has been mostly available the rest of his time in the league, went for 1600 yards from scrimmage in 2019, over 500 of that was receiving which surprises me as I didn’t view him as a receiving threat at all.

5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Nah.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It's funny. You've got people insisting that he has had the ball too much in his career and you've got people saying he has been hurt too often. It really can't be both. Yes, his 2018 was ruined by injuries, but that also cut down on the mileage.

I do get the concerns with Fournette, but he could make a hell of a one-year rental and that makes some sense for a Pittsburgh team that is all in for 2020.

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Let’s not kid ourselves, Fournette is better than any RB we have.

The question is, is he so much better than James/Benny that he puts them over the top that it’s worth surrendering a draft pick for him.

His numbers aren’t superb with the Jags but everyone knows he’s the whole offense too. He could be a beast with Ben at QB.

I’m kind of leaning towards he would be worth it, especially if they work out an extension. I don’t think Conner will get a second contract which would leave you Fournette and Snell as a 1-2 punch, thats pretty good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Yep, I recall Coughlin bought it up.
    Do you follow the Jags? I posted in another thread (non-Steelers) if anyone had the scoop on what happened in Jacksonville. It seemed like they were a QB away from being a juggernaut to a fire sale in a few years. Front office? Money? Everyone wants out now it seems.

Fournette is good but doesn't he rock the boat a bit?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  9. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Fournette is a significant upgrade on Conner / Snell but can they afford to pay him $ 4m this season and $8m next season? They still need to extend Cam Heyward and pick up some free agents to plug holes after the draft. Then next season they’ll want to extend Watt, Juju and maybe Sutton. Where will the money come from for all of this?

I think they will draft a back with one of their first two picks and go with what they have Tbh.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Darrin Hall, Ralph webb, kereth whyte are backs we have on the roster. Webb caught a lot of passes as well as being a good runner at Vanderbilt. They are familiar with hall. Whyte showed some good quickness last year. We will get to see more of these guys hopefully in preseason. It's not like they haven't been adding some players to the mix.:cool:

11. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Whether or not I follow the Jags is irrelevant. (I don't)
    In order to know why he missed games, I'd have to be Leonard Fournette. (I'm not)
    ;+)

He rocked Mike Mitchell.;+);+)

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I don't see the need at RB that many others do. I do see a need at offensive line and a need to open up the running game with a passing game. I think the Steelers have a decent enough run attack to move the chains and make some plays if they have the opportunity to do so.

McCoy.. eh old news and would be overpaid.. Freeman the same... etc etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    People see a need for another RB because they expect Conner to miss games next season, we saw how it played out last season.

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Mitchell kinda stops him in his tracks there. Surely there are clips of him abusing Mitchell much worse.

I think that's Dud getting juked out of his shoes causing a ten yard gain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Was thinking the same thing...This is one of the "better" clips of Mitchell

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    A guy like Dobbins could be a game changer but even if we got him and he was a flat-out stud, if the O-line can't protect Ben and Ben goes down, Dobbins will simply put up good numbers on a team that missed the playoffs or were one and done......while the elite defense does their part one more year.

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Mitchell isn't a very good example when it comes to tackling. He typically went for the "missile" approach and it often turned into the "missed" approach, and often out of bounds.

18. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I like the way Fournette waved Mitchell in before he lowered the boom.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I say bring back Merill, the guy is incredible shape at age 55 :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    F YEAH WOO HOO HAHAHA

21. rpgczar

rpgczar Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2014
    Maybe they sign Marlon Mack in 2021 if colts don't bring him back. Not sure who top backs are next year

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Considering all he went through with the concussions I doubt he'd want to.

23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I imagine that wasn't serious, but Hoge has been outspoken about the dangers of concussions. It's not surprising given that his heart actually stopped while the medical staff was treating him after his final brain injury in the NFL. They were able to revive him, but his brain was so badly scrambled that he couldn't recognize his wife and he had to re-learn many basic skills.

24. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ha, I thought you would like that one :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  25. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    How do people feel about the running back room now? I’m happy with it personally. JC will benefit from bringing in Watt, and Snell night take a step forward. I don’t expect to see much of McFarland until down the stretch but if he takes to the league it could be a nice setup.

Watt, Conner, Snell & McFarland are all locks to make the roster. They may keep Whyte as the change of pace back to give McFarland time to settle in, Whyte can play as a returner on ST too

• Like Like x 1