1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are we not signing a Running Back?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DukeDukeDaDaDa, Apr 13, 2020.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    For a conditional Day 3 pick in 2021? Not sure I believe that rumor.

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If we can swing OJ Howard at the same time I say trade him trade every one

3. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    Also before people shoot down the whole notion of trading for Fournette, please tell me how the circumstances are all that much different from when we traded for Bettis in 96?

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    fournette is not a full size bus, maybe a short bus. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They don't need both of their top 2 RBs going into the last year of their contracts, that's what you would have in Fournette and Conner, Fournette's 5th year option if picked up would be 10 million. I would rather get a cheap rookie RB in the mid rounds, the team would control him for 4 years.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

I’m just the messenger, man :lolol:

I’m still chewing on it.

7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

:drinks:

Me, you and others chewed on the possibilities of acquiring Minkah when those trade rumors regarding Pittsburgh floated about back in September. Look what happened then! Nothing is set in stone just yet. :)

As I said, Tomlin was at LSU's Pro Day back in 2017. Even if it was with Carnell Lake, I doubt the team was simply looking at the likes of Jamal Adams and Tre'Davious White at the time. Leonard Fournette was also likely someone that caught Tomlin's interest then. I doubt that interest has gone away.

However, with all that said, here is a truth that cannot be ignored. One that sadly will keep all of us in suspense. We will simply have to wait and see!

8. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Also 18 fumbles if that's accurate, over 3 college seasons. Avg of 6 carpet cleanings per season. Kid is bad ass but that's a lot of cough ups and a lot of mileage.

9. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    There is definitely a risk with the wear and tear, but is there a history of concussions? If not, his situation is nothing like that of Ladarius Green. Concussions were a concern when he arrived and it is ended his career with the Steelers.

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I wasn't speaking of a direct comparison of the two as far as injuries more of a player who had a big upside, some of which we glimpsed but was a risk due to injuries and wear and tear. It ended up not working out with Green. Same type of risk/reward in trading for Fournette. He could be the bell cow Tomlin loves, one that he could run the wheels off and misses the playoffs. So then they have given up getting a younger back in the draft for a single year player. He could also lead the league in rushing, propel this team to its next title and be the next great Steelers running back for the next 5 years. So is the front office riverboat gambler or are they gun shy after being burnt before? I guess we will see by Sunday.

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I like Fournette but he likes to ride the bench collecting paychecks when he can play. So I'm with :cool:, draft a good one.

12. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Fournette has been a PITA for Jax since the day he was drafted, although the culture there is probably partly the issue. No way I’d give up anything significant for him, if he is available for a late round pick and they see him as a one year $4m rental then maybe. Looks like they just want him gone now.

The talent is there no doubt about it, a lot of wear on those tyres though as others have pointed out. He has run hard against stacked boxes his entire three years there. With Ben under center it would be interesting to see what he could do with presumably a bit more room to operate.

13. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The first Tweet made me start thinking??????

The second doesn't make sense, hearing that LF could be had for a 3rd, so why not use our 4th:huh: The Steelers seldom draft in the early half of the rounds and even with Tomlin's mediocrity I doubt if our 4th at 20 - 22 (116 - 118 overall) would get it done.

14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm of the camp that we turn the clock back, put Conner on a strengthening and conditioning program, and run with what we got. It all hinges on Ben anyway, so why waste a draft pick. Not to mention an OC who's use of talent is like drawing to an inside straight.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I suspect Conner is already on a strength and conditioning program. He's just not durable. Maybe it really is due to the lasting effects of cancer treatment, as some have suggested. I'm sure part of it is the upright, physical running style. Some guys just can't stay healthy no matter what they do. I think it is a combination of all of that. Maybe at some point the Steelers will get lucky and he will get through an NFL season healthy, but I doubt it and I certainly wouldn't count on it.

They may have no choice but to roll with what they have. Hopefully, Snell will be at least a little better and the return of Roethlisberger will open up the running game a bit. Watt should help there, too, after the team went most of last season without a fullback. They have other needs, so I can see them not taking a running back and hoping the combination is enough to regain a semblance of a ground game.

16. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I wouldn't be sure of "anything" with this coaching staff....other than non-losing.....but the comment about turning the clock back was meant to imply that if they haven't put him on a program they are even dumber than we thought. Maybe Conner simply can't take the HGH and PED's that the other 90% of the league takes....who knows.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Now we're back to exaggerations again, or do you really believe the rest of the league is on HGH and other performance-enhancing drugs?

In all seriousness, my point is that it is very unlikely that there is some quick fix for Conner's injury-prone nature.

18. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think Ben has enough weapons with Conner but that won't last more than 6-9 games. When Conner goes down, that's when we will need a better pass catching, blocking, threat to score out of the backfield for Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I'm not ready to give up on Conner yet. Three seasons with injuries is bad but it could be a fluke too. Let's hope!

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I see many of conners injuries happen when he tries to punish the defender and impose his will on them. If he would take more of the Franco Harris approach he would do well and last longer. Not downing either guy but he's got to run smarter. :cool:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Agreed.....and let's hope that either he, or our brilliant coaching staff, can see that as well and he runs a little smarter this year.

22. SteelCity_NB

Oct 23, 2011
    I dont think we can go into the season with the same QB and RB depth charts.

You can get away with Ben going down if you can really rely on your run game. If Conner battles injuries again it will be 2019 all over again.

I still think the plan at #49 should be to take the best RB (Dobbins, Taylor, CEH, Swift). If they are all taken then I think we should aggressively pursue Fournette.

We have invested substantially over the past few years in Defense and it began to pay off last year. I thought last year's defense may have been the best since 2010.

I think this year's draft should target our run game. Get a RB early and get me 2 more bodies on the Oline.

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Elaborate please.

24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

It sure looks like Conner is on a strength and conditioning program to me :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Super Bowl !!!

• Like Like x 1