1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are we not signing a Running Back?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DukeDukeDaDaDa, Apr 13, 2020.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    LeSean McCoy, Carlos Hyde, Davonta Freeman all available. Yet the Steelers seem to be hell bent on sticking with this rag tag group of RBs with an oft injured starter. I don't get it.

2. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    They all look like Moncriefs. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Probably because they've already got 5+DW at FB?

Connor, snell and was it White that got picked up last year? Are an interesting enough combo to see more of. Edmunds is garbage IMO. Samuels has tools but I don't see him as part of the roster for long but what do I know. unless white washes out in camp I think there is something there... Good hands and speed and was actually a breath of fresh air some of the chances he got. Watt is great pickup if they decide to utilize him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey DukeDukeDaDaDa.

We have got a wide-assortment of RBS each with a unique set of skills. Personally, I do not think that RB is a pressing issue. Let us look at what we currently have.

• Whyte: Love him for his speed.
    • Samuels: Great pass-catching.
    • Snell: Best Power-Back we have.
    • Edmunds: Brings zero to the table.
    • Conner: Saved him for last because he is our best RB on paper. Runs Down-Hill nicely. Has to stay healthy.

Yes, as individuals I am not sure I like any as a steady starter except Conner. However, he has to prove to himself, and all others, that he can stay healthy. I still believe that his body is recovering from the Cancer treatments. I am not a medical professional in any capacity. Nonetheless, I believe that all of his medical treatments have made his body more susceptible to being injured.

SHOOT! Just for the average person, these treatments would take their toll on one's body. Now compound that with a job as being a professional football player. And a RB at that, brutally punishing. I think the with the passing of time that we will see a more durable Conner. How long will it take"? How long can we wait? These are critical questions that we need answers for. In the meantime, I think, and hope, that his body will get stronger. And as it does, he will become a more productive and reliable player on a more steady basis.

In the meantime, utilize the RBs listed above minus Edmunds and I think that we will be okay. We have good WRs and TEs. The RBs above that I like, combined with those pass-catchers and.... Ben coming back will give us a very good offense IMO. Given all of this, if there is a promising RB in the Draft at the right spot that is on our Board, then take him.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We have some depth. What we need is a bell cow. Conner could be that guy but can't stay healthy. I would expect the Steelers to spend a draft pick in the 2nd or 3rd on the position. The guys you mentioned wouldn't add much to the roster IMO. All have been banged up and lack tread on the tires.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    My assessment of what they have:

Conner is a good back but he will probably give you ten games at best, you need to be very comfortable with what is behind him. He is coming in to his final year and I think everybody knows he is not getting a big extension. I’d love to keep him at a couple of million a year as a rotational / committee guy but he just cannot be the starter with his injury history. They might need to invest in the position and draft a running back high either this year or next imo. Committee has never been Tomlins way.

Benny Snell looked ok towards the end of the season but if he is your starter I think the opposition will be very happy. He will get some hard yards but is not a home run hitter. Could potentially be great as a closer.

Whyte, I just don’t know, haven’t seen enough, tremendous speed, if he can develop as a receiver they may have something

Samuels, ok receiver out of the backfield but he can’t block and is not even average as a rusher so I don’t think he will be on the roster after his rookie deal, they may even cut him this off season if they draft somebody

Edmunds is a special teams guy at best imo

Perhaps with the group above and now Watt added to it they have enough of a committee to go in to 2020 but as I already said Tomlin has never really done committee. Last year at times they did swap guys in and out but that was as much down to injury as anything else.

I’d love if they brought in a stud running back to help Ben but I would not be particularly annoyed if they don’t. Perhaps they feel Benny Snell can take a leap forward this year but I don’t think he has the speed or ability to make people miss that you need to be a top back in the pros. Whether they draft somebody probably depends on who falls to them. I would not hate the idea of bringing in a veteran like Freeman if the price is right either.

Somebody mentioned in the draft thread that the very top teams don’t lean on the running game. It’s interesting, Henry nearly ran the Titans all the way to the SuperBowl, Gurley did the same the previous year. 49ers are a team that use a great scheme and a committee of nobodies to open up play action. Ravens depend heavily on the run and went 14-2. There is no right or wrong approach, but you absolutely have to be able to establish the run as a threat one way or another.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Do you remember Dave Dravecky the former Giants pitcher? Cancer treatments left his pitching arm so brittle that his arm completely broke in half while throwing a pitch. The loud crack that his arm made while separating in two could be heard all over the ballpark. So I think you are on to something about Conner's frequent injuries being related to his cancer treatments.

8. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I thought the Steelers did it exactly opposite; Established the Pass to open up the running lanes. With Ben the Steelers like to run out of the Shotgun; maybe that will change with Watt.

I still look for the Steelers to pick up a RB with their 2nd round pick. Cam Akers would immediately improve the RB core.

9. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Because Conner is better than those guys, Hyde might have something left though, the other two not interested.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I heard on a podcast that Conner only played 6 quarters in the second half of the season :facepalm:, they're going to need Conner to play 12-13 games this season at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If Cam Akers is the best we can do with our second round pick, I will be sorely disappointed.

And maybe the reason we don't sign a running back is we don't have the money.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The answer is simple; the 2020 NFL Draft. It is right around the corner to begin with. Signing one now does nothing to help the team except eat more cap space that the team needs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Hanratty#5.

First and foremost, I hope that you and your loved ones are doing well. We are all ok on my side. Yes, as I have admitted, by no means am I a medical professional. Given that, I think that it would only make common sense that:

(1) Cancer in itself is going to weaken one's body.
    (2) The treatments are most likely taxing on one's body and mind as well.
    (3) Again, as I stated. I am sure that the treatments would drain the strength and physical conditioning of one's self.
    (4) Again, Conner plays football for a living. Wow! Take that in for a moment everyone. The average person who lives a normal to sedentary lifestyle would have a hard enough time coping with the treatments. Now, imagine carrying the ball 30 times a game and being chased by and pounded on by 300 pound gorillas. Again, Just Wow! Now that takes a lot of courage.

Given all of that, I hope that this monster is gone from his body forever. Even if he never plays football again, at least he lived out a dream, for as short as it may have been. Let us hope that he is not finished with football. That his body is only getting stronger with the passing of each day and the flashes of brilliance that we have witnessed from him can be delivered on a more consistent basis. Very courageous young man. Not just him but to all on this Earth who have had the same experience and are presently going through it. I wish them all the very best.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

• Like Like x 3
  14. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Even though it is a passing league, The stronger teams also have a strong running game... "balance"...I mean all teams want this, but with the salary cap the way it is, It's hard to allocate your money and have EVERYTHING...

First and foremost teams still need a franchise QB, or at least a very "good" one...But, If you do want one, They want paid : Insert Big Ben or others...

They command so much money, There's basically no way to have EVERYTHING...QB, RB, WR's,OL,D...You have to hope your younger guys pan out,and most teams are going with the " Draft a good one, run the wheels off them,in their last year draft another one...wash, rinse, repeat...

It's almost like todays RB's are used like old work shirts...Use the hell out them, Then just toss them away, And get some new ones

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I like Akers, but the second round is too early IMO, if he was there in the third round then get him.

17. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    third round yes.

18. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    Because we are drafting one at 49

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  20. Bend Steel

Bend Steel Well-Known Member

May 26, 2018
    FANTASTIC post Steelwinds! My wife is a cancer survivor and we were together during that spell. I can NEVER utter a bad word or even have a bad thought about Conner. What SW said above is on point and maybe even a little understated if anything. To beat cancer is long odds. To play in the NFL is long odds. To beat cancer THEN play in the NFL is rare air for sure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    The draft is in a few days. They will be available after the draft. Signing one of them now would be foolish at this point. See who you draft, see where the holes are, then evaluate the available free agents and your cap position.

This is how it goes every year. It’s not that challenging?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I listened to SNR today for about 4 hrs, my company eased restrictions on the employee wifi so I'm able to stream insert radio during the crisis. Lilley and Williamson talked about the 48 guys that could possibly be taken before the Steelers pick but they really felt it was going to be a RB or WR. Sounded like several solid prospects at WR including one guy who had Washington's size, more polished route runner than DJ and had more skill than both. He was something of an enigma at 6'4" who highpoints the ball and would force safety coverage over the top since you wouldn't want a 5'8" cb covering him, i want to say his name was Golden. As far as running back everyone seemed excited by the kid from LSU but if a run starts late first they really are just 5 backs worth a first round early second grade. Crowley seemed to think it was a pipe dream that someone falls to 49th but could happen

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    That is the only RB (Clyde) that I don't want in the draft. He checks none of the boxes (Big, Fast Strong). He is 5'7" ran a 4.6 and only had 15 reps; He played on the best team in football, with the best QB in football, behind one of the best offensive lines in college football. I think I could have run for over 1,000 yds on that team!

I expect a run on RBs in the middle of the 2nd. Unless we use one of our 4th round picks to move up in the 3rd I do not see one of the Elite RB available at pick #102

Like I said before; Hoping Cam Akers is there at #49; he will not be there at #102.

24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They were high on him saying he played on a team with a horrible OL and just some bad teams overall. They were using the term turning a 2 into a 12, meaning the type of back that looks like he is only going to get two yards but manages somehow to squeeze out 12. Crowley was saying its really hard to tell how good he is because of the poor team surrounding him.

25. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    What they could really use is an elite receiving back in the Kamara/ Ekeler mould. Samuels is not the guy imo, below average YAC ability and a limited route runner as well

They have their thumpers in Conner & Snell.

• Agree Agree x 1