1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's your surprise "faller" this year?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 17, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    It seems like every year there's a guy that everyone can't believe falls down the board. A few previous examples that I can remember...

Last seasons Prince Amukamara was seen as a 8-12 range guy, who dropped down to 19. Da'Quan Bowers fell to the middle of round 2 after initial mocks had him top 5 (although because of injury). Brandon Harris was thought to possible be our first pick at 31, and he went 60th.

Taylor Mays falling into the middle of round 2 in 2010. Brandon Spikes towards the end of round 2.

In 2009 I though Michael Oher would go top 15 and fell to 23. The same year I though James Laurunitis and Rey Mauluga would go in the first round, and thought Rey would be in the middle of round 1, both fell into round 2.

In 08 I was jumping around my living room because everyone said Rashard Mendenhall would go around the 10th pick and we took him at 23.

So who's it going to be this year? And will it be someone that we're interested in?

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  3. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I agree that Burflict is going to fall, but I don't think its going to surprise anyone. Said earlier that the one person that I think may fall out of that top 10 catagory to us is Janathon Martin, especialy if Mike Adams has a good combine.

4. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think Burfict might fall, but before the draft. If he has a bad combine, he could be expected to go in the mid 2nd before draft day starts, and it won't even seem like a fall.

5. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I might fall down the steps or something, ya never know!

6. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think Hightower falls into the 2nd, much in the same way Maulaga fell a few years ago.

7. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Unless exceptional, IMO mostly ILB, S and RB's Fall- I think they figure why pick one early when there are so many that are very close in size and workout about the same. Just like the big bodies on both lines- when they are exceptional at the combine or their work outs they can shoot way up. Everyone will always need a big guy who can move.

8. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Remember Dontay Moch OLB last year from Nevada? Last year ran like a 4.4- 4.5 at combine. I watched him play a bunch but Maylock started loving him after his workout and everyone on another Steelers site was shining the guy, talking top 15 pick.

I thought he was small. I watched a bunch of Nevada football the last 3 years but thought Johnson coming out this year was better than Moch last year, Johnson seemed to always make plays.... Moch was just a good player. Think Cinci drafted him but he got hurt or something...

9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I will say Quentin Coples falls from being a top 10 pick to a low first rounder. There's way too much bust potential there when you look at his production vs. his talent. His senior season was a classic case of "look like Tarzan, play like Jane"

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

johnson is a good looking LB. :cool:

11. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I've got a new big faller. Riley Reiff will fall to the 20's, or further - possibly even to where we sit at 24. His arms measured 33 1/4". He will succumb to Brian Bulaga syndrome, and fall way below where his game tape suggests that he should be drafted. I now have a new #1 prospect for us at pick #24, and it's Reiff.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i've thought that too elvis. i wouldn't mind his counterpart at iowa for the other side either. zus. i think they are both good tackles. but colbert doesn't like good linemen. LOL :cool:

13. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I've been all over the place with ILB (Hightower), NT (Poe), or G (Glenn) in round 1. But Reiff is someone along with DeCastro who I wouldn't mind seeing us trade up for if he starts to fall.

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  16. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    in the first adams can fall (i would pick him )
    in general burfict should fall to the 4rd

17. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i've seen alot of sites reshuffling their top picks after the combine and i expect some more reshuffling to go on after the pro days. it always happens. teams don't value some guys as highly as the draft guru's alot of the time. people get all gugu with what these boards put out there early. they are now comparing reiff with several other tackles that went high but have not made it work out very well in the league, because of the short arms. baker, gallery to name a couple. this may be the reason decastro isn't a top tackle prospect coming into the league. :cool:

19. PSYCHOSTEELER

PSYCHOSTEELER Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011