1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's your "dirty draft secret"?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Blast Furnace, Apr 25, 2016.

1. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Derrick Henry. You can never have too many RBs haha.

2. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    don't know why but i got this weird feeling that they will take sean davis.

1. sean davis cb/fs maryland
    2. braxton miller wr ohio st.
    3. kevin byard ss mid. tenn.
    4. jonathon jones cb aub.
    6. eldon roberts lb hou.
    7. quinton jefferson dt maryland
    7. spencer drango ot/og baylor

don't ask me why, but a bad feeling it ends up something like this. it seems it's never close to what i pick every year so. of course i got two of them the year before last and one last year. :cool:

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm adding Keanu Neal to my list.

5. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    I also like Justin Simmons from BC. He visited, so he might be a day three selection for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I like him too, and I think he goes day 2. I don't buy the pundit rankings that place him in day 3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah there's not much tape of him as a freshman. I remember making notes watching him back in 2013. Highly impressive. Reminded me a bit like Shazier as a freshman.

I'll dig deep and see if I can find any full USC games back from 2013.

To me he is a box safety in nickel packages. That's where he will really excel. As I've said before he looks like a 4-3 WLB in base defense which may not really work out for us. I think playing him as a deep safety is not utilizing him properly. Then again, I remember how much Troy played within 10 yards of the line.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Cyrus Jones in the 4th rd, added value as a return man on ST.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Another Pitt Superstar, I have read that of all wr's he has the best hands
    and route running ability. Too bad we couldn't draft him in the 6th round. He will be long gone
    Somebody will be getting a helluva football player.

10. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I too have heard good things about Boyd buy just in passing as I"m not focused on any WR's right now considering our other red alert areas on the team.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think we get a wr fairly high this year. :cool:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Actually, I've read reports that he was more of a passer, but Ohio State wanted the option/run type QB. He's a nice option though to have at WR though and they could put a few gadget plays in for him.

13. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Ok, some will find this dirty draft secret amusing considering my evaluation on Billings. Part of me is hoping that Billings IS the prospect that some others on this board think he is, and that we draft him at #25. IF he truly is the 3 down powerhouse that some believe he is, then the value is undeniable.

To me it's a big IF. I've watched plenty of his games (watched a couple last night), and I still see a really good 2 gap anchor, but not a guy who will have a ton of success making plays in the backfield against NFL offensive linemen. However, I've been wrong before. I hated the Bell pick, and he's turned out well (although in my defense I evaluated him at 240 lbs, not 215-220). I also hated the Gilbert pick, and he's really blossomed into one of the NFL's best RTs. So, if we do draft Billings, I won't be frustrated because I know Colbert and company are better at player evaluation than any of us. I'll just hope this is another Bell/Gilbert situation where I'm wrong about the player.

There.... that's my biggest dirty draft secret.

14. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Drafting Noah Spence would REALLY be throwing caution to the wind.

History of drug abuse and a clear reminder of perhaps the biggest first-round bust in team history by plucking another guy from Eastern Kentucky.

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Heres a shocker, paxton lynch is on our board at 25, it's a no brainer we would draft him for our future franchise QB sitting behind Ben for 2 years like Rogers sat behind favre....And we will never get Bens future replacement any cheaper than in this draft at 25, and lynch could be sitting at 25 for us....

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  16. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    2 years? Ben will play for another 6.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed. I have been wanting Alexander for months. On the other post about who we absolutely DO NOT want, a lot of people said Alexander. I was really surprised because I would be thrilled if we got him.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016

Saints are saying their going to take Lynch now for the same reasons you just presented.

19. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Saints aint saying nothing, just some of these so called gurus blowing as usual, the saints have too many needs to blow a 12 pick on a QB in this draft, they need guard DT and really need a weakside linebacker the most, I don't think the jets will go QB either, the browns are the most likely team to move back into the 1st round to get lynch, but drafts are un predictable, I only said what if Lynch is at 25, we could fill the most important future position on this team for a cheap price........

20. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    I agree that Ben will probably play another six or so, however, if he gets his bell rung again (very likely) he's pretty much gone on record as saying that football isn't worth the risk and he wants to be healthy for his family moving forward.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he hung it up early.

21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    To those who think Lynch should be the pick, exactly what have you seen on tape that screams "franchise QB?"

I had never watched him until his bowl game vs Auburn. Man... that was tough to watch....

22. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    I agree with you in that if I were the Saints, I wouldn't do it. They need tooo much everywhere else and they should be trying to maximize that team around Brees and make the best of his last couple of years of productive play.

23. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Size-6-7 245: Mobile: big arm:
    2014 22 TDS 9 picks, 137 QB rating: 2015 28 TDs 4 picks 157 QB rating: Whats not to like?? He won 9 games, lost 3 and only lost to Houston by 1 point, 35-34, every Qb always has a bad game once in a while, you cant grade him over 1 game out of 13....

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  24. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2016
    Something tells me that this is going to be a crazy draft.

25. SubtropicalSteeler

SubtropicalSteeler Member

Apr 27, 2016
    If Artie Burns is available with the second pick, I want him bad. I think he has "it," but I just can't see spending a #1 on him for the reasons you mentioned. I don't think he'll still be around at 2, but I would be pumped to get him there. The last 7 or 8 years, there have been multiple players from the U who have been skilled, but underrated as a result of terrible coaching during college. With a little work, talent can really shine through. I think Burns could be a difference maker in the NFL, and he appears to have the desire to succeed. I've seen some mocks really move him up the board recently, but I'm just going to hope he slips and the Steelers can get a steal late in the second round.