1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

who's the pick O or D first?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, May 7, 2014.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm really leaning towards the trend being broken, but you never know. :cool:

2. Somathus

Somathus Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The D was the problem last year and now Keisel (assuming he comes back), Ike, and Troy are a year older. Ryan Clark is gone. We have starter and depth problems at DL, LB, and CB

I would be fine with our first 3 picks being on defense

3. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    If any year was the year to debunk the alternating theory, this is it! Until it's proven false, I say offense is our first pick, one of:

Zach Martin
    Eric Ebron
    O'Dell Beckum

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I will be shocked if the Steelers do not draft
    5 defensive players this year.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Odds on favorite is definitely defense.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we also picked up two new safeties to fill the void of clark and eventually troy. we have two new DE's that will via for keisels job and we added Thomas. we added moats,so'oto and molls at LB plus a 1st rounder in JJ and then garvin and Williams last year at LB. most are making it seem like we have nobody added to these spots and we are deperate. not true. I don't see all the immediate need for a mostly defensive draft. I could see it split up more. we definitely are not in dire straights at any of the positions.:cool:

7. SteelerBark

SteelerBark Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    No question...DEFENSE. Needs to be upgraded.

I'm more content with our offense...but I'd love to see Jordan Matthews in black and gold. There will never be another Hines, but I think this kid could be dependable and reliable and a workhorse like 86.

8. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The reason I've always scoffed at the theory that we alternate intentionally is that the picks we made seemed to always fit. None of our picks ever seemed out of place, and a lot of them were no-brainers. The last two years are perfect examples. We were desperate for a guard and the best guard fell to us. We were desperate for an OLB and the best (I think he was the best in our FO's eyes) one fell to us. This year is finally the opposite. It finally seems like it makes more sense to repeat sides of the ball rather than switch.

It could still happen, if someone like Mike Evans fell to us. But if the top 3 corners are all available and we take Beckham? Then I'll jump on board the alternating theory.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    see, now this is where I feel quite different about it. our upgrade on defense might just be a year more knowledge instead of more players. arnfelt,Williams,garvin,Williams,mclendon,Thomas. not to mention the additions of Thomas,mitchell and moats. CB is probably the biggest need on that side of the ball.

offense is fine for now too, but who will play LT if beachum goes down? that is a major concern to me on offense. we still have 3 vet corners but we don't have a backup LT that I'm comfortable with. the cream of the crop at tackle and cb is at the top in this draft. other positions in this one are deep enough to wait for.:cool:

10. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
  11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    FA additions may have a part in it too. they were a lot more active then in previous years. corner wasn't addressed, DL was, S was, WR was, RB was. LOT I think could be more of a possibility than wr or cb. with wr somewhat taken care of in free agency and the depth of the position in the draft, I'd have to think it comes down to LOT and CB vying for the top spot this year, mostly because of shear numbers of quality at those highly touted positions. :cool:

13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Go with defense they struggled last season lack of pass rush, missed tackles and bad secondary coverage. The offense just needs one WR and a 3rd string RB.