1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's our worst 1st round pick in last 20 years?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jball, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Terrell Edmunds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Artie Burns

20 vote(s)
    37.7%
  3. Troy Edwards

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Jarvis Jones

30 vote(s)
    56.6%
  1. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    There's a couple more picks that weren't great(Ziggy Hood, Kendall Simmons) but they actually had decent careers in the league.

I have to go with Jarvis Jones. Considering that some people thought he should have been a top 5 pick. The guy played like he didn't have a pulse. No fire at all.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Jury is still out on Terrell. Check back with me by the conclusion of the 2020 season for him. Still too early for my tastes.

I voted Artie Burns. Talk about a death spiral. His rookie season was his best season. After that, his confidence was shattered beyond repair. Jarvis was close though.

3. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Jarvis ranks among our all time busts, let alone the last 20 yrs

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Burns flashed some ability, but he isn't even a competent NFL cornerback, so I have to go with him. Jones was a well below average starter, but not quite as bad as Burns.

As much as I criticize the pick, I think the other three options are clearly worse than Edmunds.

5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    LMAO at Terrell Edmunds name being on that poll. Actually pathetic attempt.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Huey Richardson

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Hello.......Mendenhall. Lol

8. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Pathetic attempt at what exactly? Please explain.

Relative to the rest of our first round picks, he deserves to at least be on the list. I didn't expect him to win but , relatively, if your going to make a classic 4 option list, he absolutely should be on the list. Whatta ya got wise-ass? What? He's great? He's just waiting to bust out?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Last 20 years.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    He’s in his third season and a solid starter on a really good defense. And a pathetic attempt at pushing your narrative.

• Like Like x 1
  11. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Jarvis Jones for me. Just because it was so easy to predict he had no talent. His college tape was gawd awful but KC and co got wowed by the sack totals.

Evaluations......we don't need any evaluations...

Jarvis was the Steelers pathetic attempt lol

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  12. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I guess that's where we differ. I don't consider him to be a solid starter. Especially considering he's a 1st round pick. Who else are they gonna start? They have to give him a chance. And he hasn't shown ANYTHING that I wouldn't expect from a 3rd or 4th rounder from Colorado St.

And I picked Jones. I didn't choose him but based against our other 1st rounders, he belongs there.

13. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Terrell has been a bit disappointing, we probably all thought he was a reach at the time and it looks that way, if he was taken later in the draft we’d all probably be happy enough with him. I think his ceiling is solid starter. It’s not unusual for first rounders to pan out like that. I think I read somewhere that roughly a third of them are out of the league after their first deal, a third turn in to solid starters and the remaining third are pro-bowl / elite. No team hits on every first round pick.

Even if Terrell does not look like an inspired pick he is nowhere near the kind of bust material that Artie Burns is, what a dreadful pick that was, they really needed a lockdown corner at the time and they get Artie. He gets my vote.

14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I voted Burns, Jones was bad but every now and then he would luck into a fumble recovery. Burns is someone who is totally lost on defense.

15. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Jamain Stephens and Huey Richardson were worse than any of the listed....but yeah 20 years. Have to go with Burns. Jones actually made some plays here and there.

16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Troy Edwards was a 6th round WR taken in the 1st. Antonio Brown was a 1st round WR taken in the 6th. The football draft gods giveth and taketh away.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Troy Edwards

best receiver in the country in college, lasted only two years with the Steelers and than was traded

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Artie burns for me

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Jball.

The JJ pick has set us back 8-10 years basically because, "Dud" Dupree although improving, is still not that great complimentary LB to the other side (Watt). In our Defense, we need TWO "Dynamic" players at the OLB position in the scheme that we play. One great and one mediocre at best alone does not cut it. Now there is a good chance, "Dud" Dupree will also be gone and we have to start the search all over again.

I was never impressed with his physical stature when I saw JJ. I said to myself where is the rest of him? Of course, most of the overpaid, usually incorrect,t analysts stated that Jarvis was a no-brainer for us. And, as most often, they were wrong. Kind of like the weather man/woman. More often than not they are both wrong but still keep their jobs. The same can be stated about their thumbs-up for the Dupree pick. Not materializing in my opinion.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Bud is playing really good this year. Not sure what you’re talking about.

21. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I can somewhat see Burns being on the list since he’s been demoted, but it’s really unfair to try and label a guy that’s still in his first contract and still a starter as one of our worst in the last 20 years. we have no idea how Edmunds is going to improve or decline and putting him in the same conversation with players whose careers are well over doesn’t make much sense.

On a side note. Looking at the 1st round selections over the last 20 years it a pretty impressive list overall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Huey Richardson

23. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Glenn. Happy Thanksgiving. Hope your day, like all of your days, was a good one (smile).

Yes, Bud is playing "good" IMO. Not "really good" in IMO again. I am just frustrated that it took almost five years to get there and now we are in the final year of the contract. So, if he does continue to play "good", there is a chance we are only going to reap the benefits of 1/5 years of "good" service. Maybe in part it took the departure of Joey Porter (who I loved as a player, not so much coach) to unlock Bud's abilities. However, that is Water Under the Bridge now and not so much Bud's fault.

On another note, We stood by him and picked up that 5th year option. However, we know that loyalty only goes so far and he will want to test the market if he continues to play "good". Now, if he leads us to a game changing play that brings home a Ring. I will be willing to forgive the first fours years of sub-par play (smile). Take care.

24. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey STEELWINDS....

Can’t remember where I read it but the discussion was about TJ and what his market may be when it’s time. They were talking in and around the 20 mil. range. I’m sure the FO is fully aware of what’s coming down the road soon. I don’t see any way they dedicate the kind of money Dupree will be looking for knowing Watt will need to be paid as well. That’s a bit of coin dedicated to the position. The smart money should clearly go to the guy who’s career seems to be ascending every year and not someone who is right now a flash in the pan. They can’t afford to risk losing T.J not only because of his play but his leadership as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey thesteeldeal.

I could not agree more with you. We pretty much know what we have with TJ and his consistency. Bud, although playing well now, IMO is still an unproven consistent commodity. If I had to dedicate the coin to one or the other the choice is clear-cut, TJ.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1