1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's making these personnel decisions? Players misuse.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Jan 19, 2019.

1. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    - Edmunds was drafted to apparently cover TEs. Which he rarely did because come to find out he's not very good at it.

- Burnett, a safety was brought in to play LB.

- Washington was drafted to replace Bryant and be a deep threat which he never was. I could tell by watching his tape he'd never translate to that unless he was the fastest guy in the world. He's built like a RB.

Who the **** is making these horrible decisions??

2. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Burnett was brought into play safety not linebacker. When he was signed; however, he stated he could play both. The versatility was why the Steelers offered him the contract they did.

The draft came, all the LBs the Steelers liked were off the board, so Cobert and Co. went with what they believed would be someone who would help fill the void. Terrell Edmunds..

A surprise to most including myself. The idea is Terrell could be the "dime" linebacker >> really a nickle linebacker formation.. In Terrell's rookie year, he has more snaps played than any other defender, BUT he was not utilized in the linebacker role as initially planned. Burnett filled that role. It will be interesting to see how Terrell develops in his second year. I'm not ruling Sean Davis out either. Add in Marcus Allen and there are some athletic young safeties.

Washington doesn't have the speed of Bryant. No one claimed that. He did excel in catching the deep ball however. As you can see on tape, he's smooth in his transition with good hands. He does a great job of fighting for the football with long legs and arms. In his rookie year, he wasn't spectacular, but give the guy time. Most WRs don't pull a Ju Ju smith Shuster in their rookie year. As Bell said, Ju Ju is a special player.

Colbert has one of the best track records of a GM in NFL football. Sure he's had his blunders, but LOOK AT OTHER TEAMS and you will see how many more blunders they've had.

At the end of the day, the draft is a crapshoot. Colbert has done better than many.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Colbert is not the one who is putting the players in position to fail. That aspect befalls on either the coordinator, player or both. Colbert is neither.

For Terrell, his misuse befalls more so on Butler than it does the circumstances. As I stated about him after the draft, Terrell was initally going to be the dime 'backer and then subsequently eased into the Strong Safety spot later on in the season. The issue is Morgan Burnett got hurt early on. That greatly impacted those plans. That being said, Butler still is not off the hook. Placing Terrell in unwinnable situations until Week 12 (even still after the fact), ultimately doomed his rookie season. Just that alone and, as I have been on record multiple times this season, applaud how well Terrell handled it; all the more reason I do believe he can take the next step in Year Two.

Morgan Burnett is a victim of himself. Too many injuries his entire career. Now, with that said, Colbert has not had a good free agent signing in a while. LaDarius Green was not good. Vance finally played well but did not play well the season before and Burnett was damaged goods. I do understand that Free Agency, like the draft, is hit or miss. I do not understand though that why is it Colbert continues to insist on bringing in damaged goods.

James Washington's is purely on him. Was amazing in the preseason. Did very little though until the final three games of the season. It makes little to no sense how that is possible. Hopefully he can bounce back.

In short? Colbert needs to do better with how he goes after the FA's. Anything else beyond that he is unaffected by. No binaries.