1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who would you want backing up Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Move up/trade to get a stud to replace or learn under him for 1 -2 years?

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Move up/trade to get a solid veteran backup?

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Stick with our illustrious threesome we currently have backing him up?

32 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Even going with MR, we get a running game back like Henry and OL we're there. I think we have some good RBs already so that isn't my top priority. I believe MR can be just as effective as Tannehill in that environment. Fix the OL and a lot of things self correct. JMO>

2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012

Good catch I just checked his cap and wow they are so screwed ha ha......well cross that off the list. I am starting to think Vance isn't as expensive as we think comparing him to others out there, the thing that is eye catching to me is the cap savings by cutting him(5.6). I know 7m sounds like a lot but in today's market it really isn't. jmo

3. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree with your thinking however I am starting to think if we cut him he will get more money with how bad the FA class is this year. Yeah man Degaura is a guy to keep an eye on this week, but the one I am really liking more and more is the kid from washington Bryant. He is more of a pass catcher but that is what I want plenty of other people to block on this team, not saying this kid can't but that is the knock on him.

4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben>Mason

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers after re-signing Dupree, and offering their 3 RFA in Feiler, Hilton, and Banner, they aren't going to spend no 8 million on a backup QB :facepalm:. Why would Mariota come to the Steelers, there will be other teams with a lot more cap space than the Steelers willing to pay him.

6. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Again remember from my first post which you keep missing I said what I would do. It is pretty obvious after last year not having a qualified back up was a bad thing....and for the record I thought Mason was going to be a guy that could do the job.

Why would MM want to come here......hmmm let me think. The Steelers are a good origination which isn't far from a super bowl calibre team. They have a old QB coming off a major injury which could mean a good chance for playing time. Let me ask you something if you were a player and you didn't get a offer to be a starter where would you want to go? I would want to go to a team like the Steelers where you might get a chance to play and work yourself into a starting role the following year......kinda like Bridgewater did this year.

7. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    How much did Derrick Henry help the Titans when the OL couldn't hold up against KC's front? 69 yards or something like that?

We do not. DO NOT. Do not need to waste time or resources on a rb until the OL is fixed. No rb. Period.

8. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Here's the thing about replacing Bud, with improved secondary play (a priority) our rush ends will be even more successful, whether Bud or someone else is bookending TJ. We are going to be okay without him, especially if our secondary grows up some under Minkah.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I would put OL,DL,OLB, S, WR and TE all above adding a RB. I wouldn’t consider a RB any sooner than the late 4th we have and even then it would have to be a RB no one thought would be there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    Well..... Derrick Henry helped get the Titans into the Championship game with Ryan Tannehill as a QB..... Running nearly 200 yards against New England and Baltimore in consecutive playoff weeks..... I think that was a pretty admirable job.

11. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Bridgewater made 7.5 million last year, the Steelers won't have that type of money to offer Mariota.

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

But they could if they wanted to......again this is opinion and what each of us would do. There are lots of ways to save money to be able to get 7 mil for a veteran QB. Will the Steelers do it probably not especially since they just said they were fine with Mason. Again this wasn't what the Steelers would do it was what we would do. Money(cap) aside what would you rather have, MM at 7 mil or Mason?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  13. The Glory Days

Oct 8, 2017
    Correct, but you totally missed my point. He wasn't effective when the OL couldn't open holes for him. Kc's defense didn't suddenly get better than the rest of the NFL at stopping the run. The Titans' OL got outplayed/outcoached and Henry suddenly looked pedestrian. It wasn't injury or voodoo. As the OL goes, so goes the rb.

14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I don't think his price would be too high and the bottom line is he is head and shoulders above what we have backing up Ben now. Trade MR, DH, and PL for him because as we sit now, if Ben can't come back, or if he gets an unrelated injury, we are done anyway.

15. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Quite frankly, I'm shocked that 71% of the votes here are for standing pat. I have always believed that you can't be sure about a guy until he's played three years but MR's fundamentals were so bad I just don't see him being anything but a holder of a roster spot.

16. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Fitz will want $10m a year or thereabouts. He loves it in Miami and will probably start a lot of games there next year even if they draft a QB high.

The Dolphins do however have another QB that intrigues, Josh Rosen is on a very cost controlled deal for another two years, all his guarantees have been paid. I would not be against trading a 2021 fourth or maybe even a late third to get him and let him battle it out with Mason to be Bens successor. The talent is in Rosen but some would tell you that he has attitude and work ethic issues. I would not put too much stock in performances to date, the line in ARZ was embarrassing when he played there as a rookie and the MIA line early 2019 was equally as bad. He may be worth a roll of the dice if Miami no longer need him. He definitely has an NFL arm, Duck does not

17. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I know it can happen but the odds of getting an elite QB from someone else's bench or in the 4th round are slim. And without an elite QB, you don't win in this league. We need a one year stop gap in the event Ben can't go or gets hurt again, or else we need his elite replacement.

18. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Just a suggestion I haven’t seen much on here. Rosen is a first round talent, many had him as the best prospect in 2018. Two teams have now effectively passed on him and that would be a worry but if the talent is there then why not take a chance and see if they can coach him up to be a starter? He has a full season as a starter under his belt and he is a much more realistic target from a cap perspective than Mariota or Fitzpatrick, neither of whom the Steelers can afford. JMO

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    How many teams has Fitzpatrick led to the playoffs? He would still want decent money probably 7 million or more.

20. Tsrart

Tsrart Member

Sep 19, 2019
    I think the Steelers, for better or worse, are likely to roll with Mason. They don't really have any immediate options - Ben's contract will prevent any kind of significant free agent QB before 2022, and even then it would be a stop-gap guy. Unfortunately (in this case), the Steelers are fundamentally a solid team. If they didn't collapse to a terrible record and high draft pick this year, with everything that happened, I don't think they collapse in 2020 or 2021 either, even if Ben is just "ok" instead of really good. Drafting in the late teens is not likely to net a better QB than Mason - Aaron Rodgers-like free falls don't happen very often.

My guess is that they let Canada work with Mason for a year or two (depending on how Ben's 2020 goes) and then, when Ben hangs it up, they send Fichtner packing along with him and install Canada as OC with Mason as his QB, running an offense designed for him with MR on a modest low-level starter 2nd contract. (I don't think anyone is likely to offer MR big money based on his tape so far.)

If he fails spectacularly, THEN we get that high draft pick to replace him. Of course, with our luck, he'll only fail modestly and the cycle will continue.

21. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I voted move up, however thinking that is for the following year. We are committed to at least one more year with Ben starting. We have no option to go 1st round high draft pick right now anyway.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    We is what we is I believe for 1 year. If Ben comes back and can play getting an expensive back up would have been a waste. If Ben doesn’t and Mason steps up an expensive back up would have been a waste. If Mason doesn’t, we will be drafting high enough the next draft to get a replacement that an expensive back up would have been a waste. Unless the the expensive back up steps in for Mason, plays average and helps to push our draft pick lower, in which case it would have been a waste and a loss of draft position.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I think Mason should be the back up. It's too early to give up on him. I liked what he was doing up until the Cleveland game.

We should bring in someone with experience to push him. Maybe Jeff Driskel, Matt Moore, or Trevor Siemian?

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Are you kidding me......we are playing for draft picks now and not championships????? Unreal I could care less about our draft picks right now as we are in the beginning of building a team to WIN!!!!!!!! While we are at it why don't we trade Watt, Heyward, Juju, Fitz and anyone else good so we can really build for the draft????

We are coming off a year where we had the best defense we have had in a very long time. We are returning a veteran QB with some young weapons. Our oline is not as good as it once was but still good and can be fixed. We have a coach that has never had a losing season so we are primed to win, how do we throw all this away and worry about draft picks? We just saw what happens when you don't have good QB play, Mason may be good but just going by last season isn't good enough to take over. QB is the biggest most important position on the field and we learned that the hard way. To sit here and say a veteran would be a waste and would hurt our drafting blows my mind............what did we just learn from this past season???????

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Nice rant :smile:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1