1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who would you want backing up Ben?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Stone, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Move up/trade to get a stud to replace or learn under him for 1 -2 years?

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Move up/trade to get a solid veteran backup?

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. Stick with our illustrious threesome we currently have backing him up?

32 vote(s)
    69.6%
  1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't care what Ben earns, he's worth every penny of it after watching that :poopy: show at QB last season with Duck/Mason. A healthy Ben with the Steelers defense of 2019 would've been a Super Bowl contender IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I don't disagree however giving him that big extension don't look so good now. You don't want to give Haden one at 30 but look at Ben the 37 year old taking up 14% of our cap and only playing 1 1/2 games.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    16.8% to be exact.... I could use a beer with that ABV right about now....:drinks:

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    That is this year last year he was only 14% :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Don’t :shrug: me....;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ruthless NY, ruthless...:roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  7. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I wasn't trying to be........:smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  8. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Franchise QB>CB
    QBs today can play into their forties, a CB job is to run and cover Haden will be around 33 when his current contract ends, it's too risky to add on more years on his deal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Think of the money we would have to spend on walkers and nurses. :cool:

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Again let me start with saying these were options, there are lost of them out there for the Steelers to free up money. Also I totally agree that the other side of 30 in dangerous however just like there are QB's playing in their late 30's there are CB's playing after 30. Harris is the same age as Haden let's see how he makes out in FA, Jimmy Smith, Talib and Josh Norman are all as old or older than Haden all going into FA.

As far as risk goes how much more does it get signing a 36 yr old QB who hasn't in the past kept himself in tip top shape like maybe say about QB you might have pointed to playing in his 40's. Also one that has taken hit after hit after hit in his HOF career? Also why extend that same guy who was just talking retirement only five games into a season just a year ago? Risk....you want to talk risk don't tell me it wasn't risky to extend Ben, especially when he played 95 snaps last year and yet again causing us to miss the playoffs because we put all our eggs in that basket. And one last thing you point out risk and fall off, Ben last 18 games...... 9-8-1 17 int's.

See below you never know when play falls off right?

11. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    the Titans released Cole McDonald today.

I told you I had watched him play many games for Hawaii, he was a product of our run and shoot system and wasn't that good.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Will be interesting to see how the back up spot shakes out. Rudolph didn’t complete a pass today in practice for what it’s worth.

I wonder if he will mentally make it back. He was playing well in the Jets game before going down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Doubt he’s gonna be a superstar. Sucks I was rooting for him

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben didn't look like he was on fire in the other video. Give them some time.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he's coming off surgery as well. It's early for both he and Ben with fixed parts.:cool:

16. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I predict that Ben will be fine this year and maybe next with possible minor injuries where Rudolph steps in. The Steelers aren't signing another QB unless something drastic happens. They've already committed to Rudolph.

The obvious QB of next year and beyond is Rudolph if Ben would happen to retire. I'm not banking on that if I'm GM though. If a good QB is available next year in the draft I'm pulling the trigger. I don't think the Steelers have the cap space to bring in a quality veteran starter QB next year even if Ben were to retire.

I don't think Lynch has the skills to be a QB in the NFL. He was taken in the 1st round because of his physical attributes mostly. Some people just can't translate from college to the NFL.

This year is a make or break it year for Rudolph though. If he stinks a storm up, I believe you will hear the 'we're committed to Mason Rudolph' talk dry up. Currently they're showing support for their drafted QB in hopes he grows into an NFL QB. The verdict is still out if he can make it in this league.

Also remember Ben had the luxury of having some incredible teammates to fall upon in the beginning to carry the load like Jerome Bettis and Hine's Ward. When the going got tough those two generally pulled the wagon forward keeping Ben's head above water. Ben made some great plays as a rookie. A spark that does not appear to be there with Mason Rudolph. We'll see...

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    McDonald was a 7th round draft pick and with no preseason to evaluate him and an experienced QB available Titans sign veteran quarterback Trevor Siemian, release rookie QB Cole McDonald.

18. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Steelers need to jump on Cole McDonald.

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    No they don't

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Rather he misses passes in practice than a game give him some time, Rudolph will deserve another chance. But, he's running out of chances.
    Not sure if he is the future answer. The QB position is evolving a bit more with the mobile types, I don't know if the pocket passing QB is dead, but the Mahomes and Jackson are the new breed that teams want.

21. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Mahommes is a pocket passer, with a huge arm,who can run...I wouldn't classify him as a " new breed " I would classify him as just Damn good!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. cboath

cboath Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2018
    So, it's a mistake to hand anyone a big extension if they miss 14+ games in a season? He's not the first guy to have that happen to him and he won't be the last.

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Which reminds me, I have a video around here involving nurses that I haven’t watched for a while.

Glad I saved my Betamax.

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben could run in the early days, could take hits and make plays. Rudolph just looks weird and like a statue. I mean it’s warranted he may need more time but if I was a betting man I would say he is gonna be no better than a career backup. Nothing wrong with that

25. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Good point he's exactly like Russel Wilson but only better.

• Agree Agree x 1