1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who will lead the Steelers in sacks in 2015?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 10, 2015.

1. Heyward

14 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Jarvis

23 vote(s)
    32.9%
  3. Moats

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Harrison

15 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. Dupree

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  6. Other

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This is tough to figure out because there will be a rotation with the OLBs, and there's no established player in their prime. I would have to go with Heyward he was tied for team lead last season.

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I voted Jarvis Jones.. He was leading the team when he broke his hand in Carolina.

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    harrison hands down unless jarvis become a stud

4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Joey Porter said Harrison will only play about 25 snaps a game.

5. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    That would be great for the Steelers if Jones leads the team in sacks, it means he's progressing as a player. I have my doubts though I see Jarvis as a 7-8 sacks a year guy if he stays healthy.

6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I voted for Moats. I'd like to see all of them pressure the QB's relentlessly though.

7. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    yes in passing situations .. ;)

8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    agreed Harrison as a situational pass rusher where he is fresh longer in games will mean his sack totals might increase instead of decrease, add to that I believe that we will see a wide variety of looks from the front seven that will make it difficult to know who is doing what.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Between Heyward and JJ. Heyward has increased his sack total every year, I think he can get to 9 or 10 this year. Can JJ get to 10? I predicted in another thread that he could so I'll go JJ and with maybe Heyward getting 9.

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly what crossed my mind.

11. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If that plays out like you say (and I hope it does) that accounts for 19 sacks right there. How many do you think we get to total?

12. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Voted for Moats, JJ needs to show he got stronger and that he can play a whole season off the injury list.

13. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    If he gets 8 this year, he's gonna lead the team in sacks... If everyone stays healthy, I'll take Jones 9, Harrison 7, Heyward 7, Dupree 6.5, Moats 5.5, Tuitt 4.5, Timmons 3.5, Shazier 3, McLendon 2, McCullers 2, C. Thomas 1, Gay 1, Golson 1, S. Thomas 1.

all (50ish?) of them, and I hope every one of them exceeds my expectations haha

14. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I voted Harrison, maybe cause I am old school and want to see him go out with a bang. I also don't get the love for Jones, I just haven't seen anything from him that he can be the sack king we thought we were getting. Don't get me wrong I will root for him and I am hoping I am wrong but as I watch him game after game he needs to bulk up cause he gets handled to much by the oline.

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I said moats, but it's really hard to say at this point because we don't know what KB has in store. it may be pressure up the middle from Timmons or shazier. it will depend on heyward and tuitt doing more pass rushing and less tying up blockers for the OLB'ers or visa versa. if we can get enough pass rush from the DE's and OLB'ers to tie up blockers and McCullers/mclendon can get doubles the middle sure could be open for the inside guys to have great seasons rushing the passer. I always thought we should use Timmons more in that capacity instead of dropping. he's very good at it. shazier in coverage should help us get back to that.:cool:

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They had 33 last year, I think Butler is going to get after the QB a little more, maybe they get up to 43 this year, thats around league average. The following year after Dupree gets a year in the system, they'll break 50.

Thats what I'm hoping anyway.

17. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    My crystal ball says Bud Dupree. Maybe it's an underdog crystal ball. Call me crazy.

18. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I was going to say Jarvis Jones with ~ 7 sacks, but I just have no confidence in his ability to stay healthy, let alone perform for any extended period of time. So I guess I'll go with Cam Heyward with ~ 6 sacks.

It's pretty depressing to think that losing mediocre Jason Worilds could cripple our already pathetic pass rush, but that's the way it looks to me.

:noose:

19. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm not sure Dupree will get enough playing time to lead the team in sacks. He will have to learn the defense quick.

20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I think we are going to see a change is this, I think in today's NFL guys need to step in and play. I know it is not the "steeler way" but you can see more and more us getting away from that. If Shazier didn't get hurt he would have seen tons of playing time.
    I want to see Dupree on the field and I want Harrison teaching him every play. If he gets the playing time he could put up the numbers......I hope!

21. SteelerFanFromTheDMV

SteelerFanFromTheDMV Member

May 6, 2015
    I'm going with Harrison and Dupree leading the defense in sacks this year.

22. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't think anyone expects him to be a sack king... It is just possible that Jones goes for 7-9 sacks during the year. If he does that he will absolutely lead the team in sacks. Our only "proven" pass rusher is 37 years old and limited to 25 snaps a game.

It would be great for Dupree to lead the team in sacks, but he is so raw that I doubt he is a super effective pass rusher out of the gate, nor do I think he will be ready to start or log at least half the snaps until late in the season (and that would be great development from him this season). Moats isn't skilled enough to lead the team in sacks, and Heyward plays 5-tech. While he gets some sacks, the scheme isn't condicive to him getting more than 7-8 during the season if he plays well.

23. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I agree. He is definitely gonna see some time on the field this year, but I think he's too raw to come in and do that his rookie year. He isn't super polished in his rush moves or in his run game to warrant really significant time until he has earned it... Hopefully in the near future he does, because if he turns out to be a 10+ sack guy, then our defense is gonna be way better for it.

24. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    For OLBs:

Unless Jones makes a major jump, and he might, I think he ends up with 8 sacks, about 1 every other game.

Moats, Harrison, and Dupree I think are all capable of about 1 every 4 games.

For ILBs:

Shazier I just don't see getting many opportunities, maybe 2. Spence the same, maybe 1.

Williams I doubt will get any.

Timmons I think will get more opportunities this year, so I see 4.

For NT/DE:

Heyward - 8
    Tuitt - 4
    McLendon - 2
    Thomas - 0
    McCullers - 1
    Geathers or other DE - 0

That leaves us with 42 sacks.

Last year that would have put us tied with Detroit in 8th place.

25. knab70

knab70 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2012
    :scratch: I will make my check @ the close of preseason.