1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

WHO WILL BE PLAYING THEIR FINAL HOME GAME AT HEINZ FIELD?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Wardismvp, Dec 25, 2020.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My short list, Bud Dupree, James Connor, Joe Hayden, Villanueve. Many more will come from this purge.
    What is your list? Unfortunately we can't keep all who we would like. There will be many more.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know about haden. Hilton maybe. McDonald. Dupree. Feiler. Sutton. Williamson. Alualu. Williams.:cool:

3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Are we sure it will be the final home game at Heinz??????

• Like Like x 3
  4. RONN

RONN Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    I don't have a list but Haden no way, i recall that eagles WR killing us until they put haden on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I should have stated regular season, me bad.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Being unaware of cap projections, I expect a large purge of players as I said
    in above post.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    That's why this was the year to win the Super Bowl, but unfortunately it doesn't look like it will happen. The offense has gotten worse, and too many injuries, the football gods hate us :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    A lot depends on the final cap figure. If it is as low as $175m then nobody on the roster is safe and they will need to look at cutting some of the expensive and in some cases underperforming veterans like DeCastro, Pouncey. Boswell, Derek Watt, Haden etc.

I think there is a chance Ben retires, Pouncey too. The Super Bowl window is closed for this team and Ben will be done by the time they rebuild everything. You’d have to wonder if he will ever be able for a sixteen game season again if we are being honest. There will be some very differing views on this, mine is that he should retire and take Randy Fictner with him. That would massively change what they can do going forward, might open the door to keep Bud etc.

I do not expect Juju, Conner, Villanueva back no matter what happens, I hope they keep one of Sutton / Hilton. Not sure about Matt Feiler.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The whole O line and then some. Steelers need a complete rebuild and it needs to start this off season.

10. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow ... how wasted draft picks, poor coaching and development ... have gotten us to this point.Tomlin hasn't had a losing record but many losing seasons.

11. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    They need to rehire Cowher so they can build another team for Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    All depends on Ben I think. If Ben retires, Haden will be a cap casualty. I believe they'll take care of Watt this offseason. Don't think they can keep Hilton and Sutton.

Pouncey counts like $15 million against the cap next year. I think they can save half of that if they cut him. If Ben retires. If not they'll restructure him again.

Highsmith has shown enough, I believe, to let Bud walk. Kid has got some serious jump.

Obviously Conner is toast. I think AV will finish out his deal. One year left at 8 million against the cap. That's not a lot for a left tackle. You still have to field a team.

Juju is gone. He's a good player but not dynamic enough to justify what he'll command. He's a solid big bodied slot wr. Nothing wrong with that. The Steelers will draft another wr in the first few rds. I'm not sure DJ is gonna make it. If he can't get his hands fixed he'll be gone. They have to draft someone.

I think Vince will be restructured and finish here. Maybe a two year extension lowering his cap hit to around 2 million a year. Good value for a solid back up.

McDonald is gone. He's done absolutely nothing this year. Bye bye. He'll cost almost 3 million though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    Damn SR6 ...you are one of the more level headed members in this Steeler club and for you to be like this is sobering. We do have 2nd and 3rd stringers and if more injuries occur we will tapping into the PS.

Im wondering if Ben restructures...can we keep most of the current 1st string starters. I think JuJu will get a ridiculous offer from like the The former Redskin Team.

14. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Agree with a lot of this. Just to note AV is a free agent after this season, he is not under contract for 2021

Having had a look at OTC again it’s actually worse than I though, they are in real trouble next year.

The Steelers need to nail these next couple of drafts if they want to stay competitive.

15. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    AV, Feiler, Connor, Dupree and probably JuJu all leave as free agents.... Haden will be a cap casualty

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Agree on Haden being cap casualty. I’ll hate to see him go, but he is gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Free agency next time up is going to be interesting all around the league. The cap is not just going down for the Steelers, it’s going down for every team. There will be lots of cap casualties. There will also be a lot of older guys with a few years left in the tank made available.

18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    AV is a goner as well as Dupree, Conner, Juju.

Haden hopefully stays we finally we have a solid tandem on the outside. They should try to sign Sutton to take over in 2022 but its going to cost.

I would like them to keep Hilton but someone's going to pay more then they can match I believe.

Alualu hopefully stays and gets a one year deal.

The Williamson contract was small and it might be a good idea to try to resign him.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Damn. I forgot that Alualu was also going to be a free agent.

At this point, I'm hoping they keep Alualu and Hilton. I'm assuming either Sutton or Haden will be gone. Villanueva, Feiler, Conner, Smith-Schuster, and Dupree are also on their way out. Maybe they get lucky and the injury depresses Dupree's value enough for them to get him on a one-year prove-it deal, but I doubt it.

In a lot of ways, this has a 1992 Pirates feel to it, knowing it was the last, best shot before a rebuild. The difference is the Steelers don't penny-pinch their way into oblivion the way the Pirates have done for decades, so hopefully they can turn things around fairly quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It may get ugly next year.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I would punt the 2021 season. Get out everyone that won't be useful, or reasonably paid, in 2022 and start rebuilding. (obviously there would be a few exceptions for roster completeness.) That would mean something like Ben, Pouncey, AV, Conner, Juju, Bud gone. There may be others. Sign, where possible, TJ, Alualu, Hilton, and others that are worth it. Draft OL huge next year. Go into 2022 with $ and draft what we need. QB is the big thing, either move up for the guy we like, or find our Tannehill. Find an OC with a functioning brain.

22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Can we do coaches too?

For me Randy Finchtner and Shaun Sarrett.
    Please!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I thought that if Ben retires, they still will take a big cap hit.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Yeah because Cowher didn't have a GM during his time in Pittsburgh, he didn't put those teams together by himself :facepalm:, he didn't even want to draft Ben until Dan Rooney stepped in and overruled him.

25. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    They do, $22m to be exact, but they still save $19m if he retired. That’s a lot of money if the cap is only $175m, if you are trying to re-sign guys to keep the defence together that gives them some room to manoeuvre at least.