1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who were the worst QBs you remember as a steelers fan

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Rollers, May 23, 2020.

1. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Read that this morning. Steelers were one of the last teams using an older O, he was also drafted by another team in the AAFL (I believe) so likely gave him leverage to not come here. They traded him that same day. Then they traded for him in 1958 and traded away Earl Morrall, nothing special except he lead the Colts to a SB (filling in for Johnny U and losing to the Jets), then lead the Dolphins to 9 wins in there perfect season. So we had 3 HOF and a 2x Sb QB..and nothing to show for it, lol.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Graham and Woodley come to mind. I am actually old enough to remember Dick Shiner.
    Thank God for Dan Rooney.I loved the Chief, but he should have stayed with horse racing.

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Duck and Rudolph were Jonny Unitas and Joe Montana compared to Kent Graham, David Woodley and Todd Blackledge. I'm not a Vick-basher, but Michael Vick was freakin' terrible too when he had to play QB for Steelers... a shell of his former self.

Kordell Stewart was misused. Poor guy led his team to 2 AFC Championships.... which is more success than 99% of all other NFL QBs whoever stepped on the field. But yet he gets bashed because numerous O-coordinators didn't know what they were doing with him. Some of this is Cowher's fault too.

Malone and Brister get a lot of heat here.... but they had success as average QBs with playoff berths and winning seasons.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Vick was definitely atrocious... holy hell. Still beat us when he was with the jets lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
  7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Even the Bears dumped him after 7 games, then the rats couldnt use him, 3 teams 3 failures........

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    45.6 career post season passer rating

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I don't think anyone is trying to make the case that Kordell was a very good QB. He was not. But there were times he played very well. Had he had an OC that could have utilitzed his skill set better he may have been better. I remember his dad saying he was glad his son got out of the "HELL HOLE" that was pittsburgh. Never forgot that.

10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Just read an article naming the worst QB for every NFL team. They had Mark Malone, Steeler's first draft pick of 1980 as the worst Steeler QB ever.
    They also had P. Lynch as the Bronco's worst QB ever. Claimed that Juerry Jones tried to trade up for P. Lynch but settled on Dak in the 4th round.

11. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Still better than Ben's SBXL rating. :rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  12. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I can't comment really to anything before Bradshaw. Everyone between he and Ben was at best a slightly below avg starting QB in the league IMO. I am sure there are worse than Kordell, but you knew with 100% certainty, and so did Cowher I believe, that dude was never, ever going to win a SB. Maybe not the worst QB, but without a doubt THE most over-rated QB1 I have ever seen (Steeler or not) and for as long as he kept his job (which discludes draft duds...a.k.a Maznziel)

13. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016

Kordell's finest hour!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Against Michigan... lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Bubby, Malone and Tomczak. And I personally wasn't a big fan of Kordell as a QB. I thought he would have made a great RB, but wasn't ever really happy with him at QB.

16. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    As a QB, Kordell was a great receiver.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Kent Graham takes the cake for me

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This idea that Rudolph had more around him than some of those guys also needs to go. The entire offense was a mess last season. The offensive line struggled. They couldn't find a consistent running back, mostly due to Conner's injuries. The receivers and tight ends weren't nearly as good as 2019. Sure, some of that was on the quarterbacks, but even McDonald will tell you his own play dropped off last season. Smith-Schuster certainly didn't play up to his previous level. Washington and Johnson both showed promise, but they were nowhere close to what the team had in Antonio Brown.

Take Mark Malone as an example. In 1984 and '85, he had better offenses around him than anything we saw last season and he still sucked. Those teams were actually solid on the offensive line. Frank Pollard and Walter Abercrombie were a good pair of running backs. John Stallworth and Louis Lipps were among the better tandems of receivers in the league. Malone still managed to suck so bad that he kept losing playing time to David Woodley.

I have to disagree with you a little bit on Kordell Stewart. Yes, he was misused, but that wasn't the only thing holding him back. He may have had the worst pocket awareness of any quarterback I've seen get that many starts. He was dangerous when he took off, but he wasn't able to feel the rush coming and avoid it. Deshaun Watson can do that. He has the ability to buy time with his feet and make a big throw. Stewart wasn't nearly as good at doing that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Bettis and the defense carried this team then. Plug in Ward and there's your reason for success.

I hardly give this credit to Kordell Stewart who basically was another QB trying not to lose the game on their efforts.

He's not the worst due to his escapability, but he should have just stayed slash. Not a good QB but completely carried by a great Oline, running back, and defense imo

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    From what I've heard, Malone gets the award for the worst QB on recent Steeler history.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Malone was better than Graham, old Vick and Woodley.

22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    The better question is why did the Steelers keep trying to find a diamond in the rough?

Although it was different then, you still needed a great QB to dominate......and they gave us these guys.

Cliff Stoudt
    Mark Malone
    Woodley
    Bubby
    Neil
    Tomczak
    Blackledge
    Slash
    Maddox
    Jones

And have they learned their lesson or did they just get lucky with Ben?

23. Rollers

Nov 8, 2016
    interesting question. It would seem they have been unable or unwilling to find Ben's replacement. They are continually in cap hell at their own choosing. It's ok to keep signing your own guys if you have competent backups. If you think Rudolph is the answer then I have no words for you. Hodges? ugh. So we go into the year with nothing but Lynch, Rudolph, and Duck. There you have it. If Ben goes down it's all about the defense again. I'm wondering how much Ben has lost in his later years. I am not hopeful for this year. I like some of the off season moves they made but they completely ignored the most critical position on the field. I have no clue what they are thinking except that mantra that they are happy with Rudolph. We'll see I guess

24. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I actually feel pretty good about Ben and this year.....unless he gets hurt. Remember he lead the league in passing in 2018 and had a lingering injury go south 1 game and a half into 2019, so I like the idea of him coming back rested and ready to go.

As far as the Steelers not finding his replacement, I've always believed that it is a nearly impossible task to know exactly when to pull the trigger on a HOF'er's replacement. If they went and got a stud QB two years ago, odds are it would have been a wasted for 3 or 4 years. I'm okay if they ride Ben til he breaks and then do whatever they have to to get the next elite QB

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Good question.
    I ruffled some feathers around here awhile back when I stated that the Steelers had missed some opportunities to get a 'franchise quarterback' after Bradshaw (beyond the obvious two, Marino and Brady).
    Someone pointed out that maybe it wasn't missed opportunities, it was believing they could win without one.