1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who was calling the defense on the field with the Green Dot? Patrick Peterson doesn't know?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Interesting read about your starting CB who played 97% of the snaps on Saturday, having no idea who was calling the defensive plays on the field. It sounds like when Minka left there was no communication on what was going on, on the defensive side of the ball.
    Steelers Defenders Were Unsure Of Who Was Communicating The Plays In Week 15 Loss (msn.com)

I know people are wanting a new O.C., but can we talk about getting a new coach on Defense? If your starting CB, has no idea about who is calling the plays on defense for most of the game, it is time to get rid of the man in charge of calling the plays.

To me, this is why Tomlin needs to go, and the Steelers need to bring in an entire new Coach Staff for 2024. Right now both sides of the ball are a big cluster-f*ck!

EDIT: And this is another reason why I keep asking where is Myles Jack?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Doesn’t surprise me. Despite what many say about our D, Austin looks completely lost at times. Like the O under Fichtner, it relies on pure talent with little scheme. When the talent doesn’t come through, we’re hosed

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    The coaches sure do suck, but couldn't the CB just ask "who's getting the plays?"

4. Bone03

Bone03 Member

May 5, 2021
    I'm wondering why Pat P wasnt WEARING the green dot after Fitz goes down

5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Because he moved to safety. They don't like the safety getting the plays and having to come down to communicate to everyone on the line and then get back to his spot.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Jack is still on the practice squad

7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am hoping Myles will finally crack the Game Day roster and bump Walker back to the practice squad against Cincinatti.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Should have kept Brian Flores. His defence is lighting it up this year

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    [​IMG]

we used multi colored dots.:cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    IIRC, the big guys don’t like being told what to do by a little guy.

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If Tomlin stays, they at least need to clean house in the rest of his coaching staff. They need to bring in an offensive coordinator from the outside, but Austin also needs to be replaced. I was defending him earlier in the season, but his inability to get the team organized and communicating after an injury just isn't acceptable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I'm not too impressed with his scheme, either. Too much reliance on edge pressure on passing downs and turnovers. The rest is pretty much bend-don't-break stuff. It's not the worst in the league and I know he's dealt with a lot of injuries this year, but the template is very vanilla and things can get ugly when opponents neutralize the attacks off the edge.

13. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    There's not a coach on this staff worth keeping, time to blow it up

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    One can say Tomlin and Rooney are loyal to a fault. MT brought Flores in to give him a chance. There was no way they would have replaced Austin with him and probably promised that to Austin.

15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Agree. I for one am sick and tired of hearing about Tomlin's small Staff, and that he likes to do everything himself.

They lost their Assistant Head coach this year, and never replaced him, making his staff even smaller than the year before. I myself was pushing real hard for the Steelers to bring back Mike Munchak as the Assistant Head Coach this offseason. (I would have loved to have had Munchak's opinion on Dotson, before they pushed him out the door for a bag of magic beans)
    Pro Football Focus released its list of the top 50 free agents for 2024 and Dotson came in at No. 23. PFF projected his contract, as well, putting him in the range of being one of the top-paid guards in football with a deal worth $69 million for four years, including $41.25 million guaranteed.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe Mike likes retirement, doesn't want to come back. There has to be two interested parties for deals to be done.