1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Wants to see this team built like the Steelers of the 90’s?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Steelresolve, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Smash Mouth Ball Control Offense

13.3%
  2. Elite Intimidating Defense

33.3%
  3. Play Action and Pre-snap Motion Offense

20.0%
  4. Spread Offense - Short Passing quick strikes

6.7%
  5. All of the Above

26.7%
  6. None of the Above

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I just watched the Steelers 95 Dallas Super Bowl. We actually should have won that game. Without the O’donnel Interceptions I believe we would have won. O’donnel plaid nervous. The team was loaded on defense and we had a solid run game with Bam Morris and Eric Pegram. It got better with Bettis obviously. The WR room was really good as well. We were weak at offensive line and I believe O’donnel was mediocre to above average. The point being with all of this we still made it to the super bowl with a mediocre QB. The teams were a blast to watch because they were so physical and intimidating. Of course I would love a franchise QB but they are hard to come by. My feeling is in the mean time we might as well build a team that doesn’t lean on the QB as much until we find our next one.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The rules have taken away my favorite, "intimidating defense." Throw in free agency and alas the old way doesn't really work anymore.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You’re close on your assessment of O’Donnell. First interception was 100% on him. The second was on the rookie wide receiver Holiday. He ended up playing due to an injury to xyz(?) earlier in the game. On the second interception Holiday missed a hot read. O’Donnell threw to where holiday should have been due to the hot. He wasn’t and the rest as they say is history.

with all of that out of the way would we have won? Nobody knows. We had momentum and only down by 3, but we will never know what would have happened had Holiday not screwed up.

4. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022

What I recall about that game was BAm Morris seemingly runing for 5-7 yards every carry and then suddenly stupid Steelers OC decides to pass. We were down, controlling the clock, moving the ball and would have lead with a TD and little time left, instead of forcing them to stop the run, we got cute. I am of the philosophy that you continue to call what is working well until the other team stops it two plays in a row. I would have kept running the ball down the Cowboys throats. Its not much different than Seattle getting cute on the 1 yard line with a quick slant into an 8-man defensive front instead of running Lynch for a 1 yard plunge.

• Like Like x 1
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You might want to watch again. O’Donnell was a large part of the 10 fourth quarter points. He was something like 11/12 in the two drives prior to the fatal interception. The second to last drive was when Mills injured his knee. That led to the rookie Holiday playing.

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't see anyone on this roster who is even close to Rod Woodson. Current CBs are a joke when stacked up to a 90s Rod Woodson.

We have completely ignored the CB position this offseason and are going to pay dearly for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers did not completely ignore the cornerback position. They signed Levi Wallace and re-signed Ahkello Witherspoon. I guess the hope is that Wallace can be comparable to what Steven Nelson was in 2019. I don't think they upgraded the position and it is absolutely fair to criticize them for that, but they didn't ignore it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I thought He meant in the Draft....Like I did.

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is possible, but he wrote offseason, not draft.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The Steelers definitely had the momentum late in that game and it started with the surprise onside kick to start the half. And then Neil O’Dummy decided to make Larry Brown the most overrated and over paid CB in the NFL. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Martyball is not going to work in a league that has shifted so far towards offense. The Garoppolo 49ers were a prototype Martyball team and even they were overcome by opposing offenses in the end.

12. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I hope the NFL transitions back to the run game a little more. I doubt it will. It is more like basketball now, unfortunately. Its sad that the NFL has become much softer. Heck those old Detroit Pistons teams probably could play better defensive football than most of the NFL defenses today. I do believe a hybrid of the old Marty ball can still succeed today. Especially with defensives becoming significantly smaller up the middle. You build a big offensive line and power run game most of the defenses today could not consistently stop it. Look at the Titans. The problem is if a team with a really explosive offense gets to far out in front .... Marty Ball offenses aren’t equipped to play catch up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Play action all day every day. Lets get that run game coordinator on board and ol that can block we are the new Cincy Bengals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The 49ers beat two teams by shutting down what were supposed to be high-powered offenses, then held the Super Bowl champs to 20 points in a four-point loss. Give them a better quarterback and they are probably playing in the Super Bowl last season.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Hell a dropped int last year was all that kept them out....if I'm remembering correctly.

16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020

There's still effective running attacks in college football that the NFL can look at and adapt to. I don't think that teams need to go full speed ahead tempo Chip Kelly teams with Oregon or the RichRod teams of WVU, but you can look and see the pistol sets teams like Oregon State utilizes. A power pistol is essentially an off-set I formation ran from a half shotgun. I think what Canada ultimately brings to the running game this year is a bit of a throwback with modern concepts that the Bills and Chiefs run.

• Like Like x 2
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What I want to see is 70’s defense

But the rules changed

I also want to see is naked babes in my dreams

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. TIMSBURGH

TIMSBURGH Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I see history repeating itself. This team is looking like the 80's team after Bradshaw . It almost took a decade to rebuild. Pickett reminds me of a mobile Mark Malone. The defensive side was decent to good but.The QB the thing they never won anything before Bradshaw and until Big Ben. They should have either traded that pick last for more first rounders for this year or drafted a different position. I think if they have a chance for a top top qb pick they should draft another in 23

19. TIMSBURGH

TIMSBURGH Member

Nov 25, 2017
    The Neil O'Donnell late yrs team's were good and the defense was back to dominate. My point was from 83 to 91 the Steelers QB position was not very good. I hope that I'm wrong but I don't think the answer is under a Steelers contract at this time.

20. TIMSBURGH

TIMSBURGH Member

Nov 25, 2017

21. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    That team would not win in 2022-23. They would be the most penalized team in the league and have negative net yards every game.

People really need to stop living in the past, like seriously.

22. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It took 21 years to rebuild as that is how long it took to find the next franchise QB.

23. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Every team from back then would be heavily penalized today. That is an irrelevant comment. So you can throw shade at people for providing an observation. What is your solution to todays team Mr. Expert?

• Like Like x 1