1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who to watch the draft with?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Draftgeek2000, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Draftgeek2000

Draftgeek2000 Member

Apr 26, 2022
    Like the name says I'm geeky into the draft, my superbowl. I'm kind of new to the Houston tx area, so I definitely don't know anyone into the draft enough to watch with or throw a get together. Any advice where I can find like minded fans (even 1 or 2 guys) who r familiar with these prospects as well that I can watch and discuss with? Finding a spot in Houston would be great, but I suppose some kind of group video chat would be cool.

I tried posting a thread just now on Reddit but it takes 2 days to post! Doesn't have to be Steelers fans, just guys who also know the prospects. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I had a lot of fun with the draft thread here last year.

None of the Bars around me were doing anything so I just brought the Beer to my house and posted online here.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Same. You Guys are My football family. LoL :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 9
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Just hang out here with us for the draft. Lots of knowledgeable fans here. At some point you will be both amazed by the intelligence and amused by the stupidity of the stuff you will read in the draft thread.

Sure beats bringing a couple of guys you don't know over to your new place to watch the draft. I wouldn't want to hear about a guy I don't know, getting murdered by two guys I don't know on draft day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That was great :thumbs_up:
    I can amaze with intelligence, and amuse with stupidity ....all in the same sentence. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s a rare blend of gifts, to be sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. :lolol::lolol:

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I prefer to watch it at home, I can watch it and be on my computer at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I'll watch at home i invited my son to come up, but he wrks nights,, I'll post from time to time on the draft thread just to ask abt a draftee, or to cuss Tomlin.. That's abought all i contribute to the draft thread.... lol..

• Like Like x 2
  10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I'm sure there'll be a lot of cussing. As soon as I hear "The Steelers select QB...", I'm gonna lose it.:roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It would be kinda cool to get a message board discord together for things like this. I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the Discord app, but that might be an option for everyone to get together in a chatting situation (video or otherwise) for a watch party.

12. Draftgeek2000

Draftgeek2000 Member

Apr 26, 2022
    I'm not familiar with discord, but one issue I've had with message boards in the past while watching is ppl posting the picks early before I get em on TV, the spoilers are awful. I suppose the same would be said with a group video chat if a bunch of guys were on. With a smaller amount of like minded guys who are anti spoiler, we could have a great time following and discussing it real time.. I'm very interested in this!

Loved the draft since I was a kid. I've watched film over and over on the QBs and most of the other positions we're looking for WR, safety wise, and some DT. Let me know what we could do

13. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'll be watching with my Yinzer family at A&L Sportsbar in Portland.

14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There are a couple of you tube channels that get together and chat live during the draft. Comment chats are live and it can be fun. And annoying as you will see some of the most ridiculous comments ever...far worse than here lmao.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We post a no spoilers warning here, people are pretty good about not doing it.

Even with that, I stop looking at the board once the Steelers are on the clock. They hand their picks in immediately so its not a long time away from the board, can catch up easy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have never understood the spoilers thing for the draft.:shrug: It's not like it will change ....give away the storyline, or be changed by the time someone else hears it. The pick is the pick whether You tell me ,I tell You, or Dan Aykroyd tells all of us.
    Please explain...:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hey what network are you all going to be watching? I think it will be live on ABC, ESPN, and NFL network.

Since I was a kid taking off school to watch the Draft with ESPN and Mel Kiper broadcast live from some Hotel Basement, I have always favored ESPN.

Before the Internet there was Cable, but before that there was this giant 8 foot Satellite Dish in your backyard, that you could program to bring in channels like ESPN using there direct feed.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  18. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I live less than two hours away from Pittsburgh so I will be watching at a bar place with, what I imagine, will be LOTS of other Steelers fans!!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I usually watch NFL Network, and DVR ESPN so I can go back , and watch the ESPN one for our picks incase they give more info later

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I go back and forth between ESPN and the NFL Network. When one goes to a commercial break I switch over to the other one.

• Like Like x 2
  21. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

When i was a kid/ young adult, i always used our 8 foot Satellite dish to watch a certain other (cough) channel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I use Discord for my friend group of people that get together to play video games, but we all live in different parts of the country. A lot of Twitch streamers or Youtube channel people use Discord to get their community of followers together for hangouts or just updates. It is kind of a younger person thing for sure, but there are text channels as well as voice channels that can be used (depending on how the owner of said Discord lobby wants to set them up). The voice channels could even have a video chat option as well. It can be used on any smart phone or computer. I would maybe like to try to set something up later this season for a watch party to see if it is even feasible. I'm probably just going to watch the draft at home this year and post on here with yinz.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Draftgeek2000

Draftgeek2000 Member

Apr 26, 2022
    It's an experience/drama. The leadup discussion from the analyst and hearing the commishes delivery is a tradition for me. So much better than seeing random posters saying what the pick is and getting confused if it's true or not. I wait a full year for it, myswell wait a minute or 2 and get the true pick and full experience. I'm disappointed by the picks more often than not, but the buildup and moment is a thing!

• Like Like x 1
  24. Draftgeek2000

Draftgeek2000 Member

Apr 26, 2022
    I record all 3. Rich replaced Berman for me as the iconic captain leading the ship, but overall I look for the most respected professional takes/analysis. I lean NFLN right now, but usually go round by round switching it up, then go back and watch the rounds I didn't watch live. ABC isn't for me, but I do go threw and see reaction to all the Steeler picks. This past draft I actually went back and watched the recorded live stream of PFFs coverage and enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The anticipation and build up, the whole draft process, all the players you’ve scouted leading up to the reading of that name on the card. A lot of us like it that way.

It’s anticlimactic to just see someone blurt it out on here

It’s not like you are reporter trying to be the first to get a scoop. Just wait until it’s announced on TV.

• Like Like x 1