1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is your guy this year?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Roonatic, Dec 2, 2019.

1. A) #90 Watt

45.6%
  2. B) #39 Minkah

42.1%
  3. C) #6 Bubby, oops meant Duck

1.8%
  4. D) #53 Pouncey (got game ball vs. Clowns)

1.8%
  5. E) #48 pay me Dupree

3.5%
  6. F) #13 Washington

1.8%
  7. G) other (tell me who you like)

3.5%
  1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The Chief was the best Steeler so #1 sounds good.

2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

If you are still seeking out numbers, and want something a little more over the top, I did some researching and came up with some ideas from the image below. I hope this may help. I am a die-hard old school fan of those guys. I know I veered off the thread a bit here and do apologize. I just could not help myself after I did a Write-In vote for TTF. Just trying to keep it a little light this morning. :clapping: OBVIOUSLY, all in good fun! (smile). Have a Great Day!

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd like to add a couple of guys that get overlooked in all this. Cam, alualu and hargraves, all quietly having very good years for us and allowing these guys to make these splash plays. They have been instrumental in shutting down the run and putting pressure on qbs in the pocket.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I stopped reading when you claimed that it wasn't easier to defend Ryan Finley and Jared Goff than it is to defend Russell Wilson and Tom Brady. With all due respect to the rest of your point, you lost right there.

(Okay, now I'm going to go back and glance through the rest.)

I think you are getting too caught up in revolution to recognize that production comes first and that is where Watt has an advantage on Fitzpatrick. As someone else mentioned, he has more of a impact on the run defense and he is a huge part of the pass defense as well. Watt also contributes heavily to the turnovers with the pressure he creates and the fumbles he forces.

You make it sound as if the league has never seen somebody do what Fitzpatrick does before. You could argue that the Steelers haven't had a guy like that, though maybe Mike Wagner played a similar role, but what you are describing sounds a hell of a lot like Ed Reed. Now Fitzpatrick has to do it more and for a very long time to get into that discussion.

Watt is the best player on that defense. Fitzpatrick is a damn close number two. Both are crucial to what the team does.

5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey mac daddyo.

Definitely. There was, and still is much concern when Tuitt went down. So far, it seems that the "D" is holding up well with these guys. Too bad again for Tuitt. I know he was a projected First Round pick and we have seen flashes of the "Hype". However, now it was becoming more consistent prior to his injury this year. Can you imagine if the light finally went on for him, as it seems to be shining for Bud now? Wow! our "D" is really playing well as it is now. Add in a healthy Tuitt at the level that he was playing, and we are even that much better.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Heyward and Hargrave have really stepped up since the loss of Tuitt. Is it just me, or is it difficult to get all three of those guys going at the same time? It always seems to be two of them stepping up while one of them is out. Then again, part of that is Tuitt being hurt too much.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Formerscribe.

Yes, something(s) have definitely been a catalyst for this "D" to move up and progress. I think that the popular mode of thought may be Minkah. I can understand why. And I do agree that in part he is definitely one piece that we can point to. However, there are 10 other guys on the field that work with him. The "Voice of Reason" would tell us that it is probably a combination of factors: Maybe:
    • The "New and Improved" Bud.
    • The Nelson acquisition to complement Haden.
    • Devin Bush.
    • Butler finally "settling" into his position.
    • And other factors.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Minkah Fitzpatrick. He single-handedly transformed the defense from average to top 5. Watt, Dupree, Heyward, Bush, etc.... are better players for it. Amazing what a good safety can do for a defense.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I know this may not be what you are looking for. The defense obviously has carried us, so: #90, #39, #97. I wouldn't call Cam underrated but he is one of the best at his position in the league, and doesn't get a ton of cred. He always makes the plays he is suppose to make and then some. On offense if I had to pick: #18, #13, #24. Johnson has had some very big 3rd down conversions catches at meaningful times for us. Where in the heck TE's? I would have though Vanimal would have contributed much more.

10. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey HeinzMustard.

I do believe, and agree with you, that at the root of all of this, it is Minkah Fitzpatrick that set off the "Domino Effect". He definitely is the catalyst that the "D" needed to take it to the next level. Now, time to move up to the next tier of performance. They cannot become complacent.

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    No love for Pouncey for his defense of the Steelers lore? J. Lambert had to be proud.

12. TheWay

TheWay Active Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Pouncey. Do not under estimate the impact of his actions against the browns.

Teams rally around that kind of passion.

(I love watt and when he re-signs I will buy his jersey and proudly hang it beside my #43)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    The whole defense pretty much. Washington for the offense

• Like Like x 1
  14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I will be ordering my #90 Watt jersey this weekend, thanks fellas & Steeler gals.

I might get two this year as suggested by an Iowan Steeler fan. (from Indiana myself). Waiting on bbh with the bargain Bell jersey or will get #39 Fitzpatrick also.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    My guy this year is the guy that pushed the cart when mason went down.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Nice choice I think you will like it. :thumbs_up:

17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    As an individual, TJ Watt, was a beast even when the defense as a whole was bad. And, Minkah, benefited from ... alot of pressure that was put on the qb ... by who else ... non other then Mr.Watt!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Minkah knows how to take advantage of his great pass rush, don't sell him short.

Edit: Dolphins...lol
    "Let's trade a perennial allpro."

• Like Like x 2
  19. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    #90 all day great to see the passion this guy brings every game we truly need that again!! Hope he stays healthy to have a long and successful career!!! My next Jersey purchase hopefully I get it for Christmas!!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It definitely is going to be tough to even equal this years performance, let alone go to the next tier. I am not being negative, just realistic as we might have to replace 3 key components. Bud, Hargrave, and Eli are all UFA'a. Alualu is also a fa, but likely could be resigned for depth (though getting up there). A healthy Tuitt will help immensely.

Things every team faces nearly every year, and even with these potential losses the core is there for a top 10 D. Keep or equally replace and it could be that top tier you speak of.

21. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Vox Ferrum.

Yes, Free Agency (as well as morons like Brown and Bell) plays it role every year. Even like Tomlin has said, as well as some players, each year's team is different no matter what. Yes, the core of players may stay in tact but there will inevitably be additions and departures to the team. Out of the players you mentioned above, we have to find a way to keep Bud and Hargrave for sure. Why am I drawing a blank on "Eli" (Eli who?). Man I feel foolish on this. Help me out here if you would.

Tuitt's pre-draft hype was a 1st round grade. He was showing flashes of that prior to this year and definitely more consistently this year prior to his injury. He alone, would have moved us up to that next tier that we are talking about. Alualu, who was a first rounder, I think has found his "niche" here with the Steelers. Excellent acquisition by the Front Office, who I know gets a lot of criticism at times. Even by me. Sometimes a player just needs that proverbial "Change of Scenery" to thrive. Maybe, that is his case. He, along with others, have helped out immensely with the Tuitt injury. Take care.

22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    My complete brain drain...Eli..you know Mike "Eli' Hilton...that Eli guy..lmao..yep 60 year and 16 hours days are catching up with me.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I have not checked recently, and while some games the d has given up some team running yardage, I do not believe they have allowed a single 100 yard rusher this year. That is pretty impressive.

24. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

Steve Nelson.

I believe last week I created a thread for him. Just very, very quietly doing his job over there across from Joe Haden.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Until last week...lol