1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is to mostly blame for our losses this season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Dec 25, 2019.

1. The Team as a Whole ( A little blame to go around.)

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. The Defense

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Offense

16 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. Special Teams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Quarterbacks

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. The Coaching Staff

17 vote(s)
    28.8%
  7. Injuries, Player Departures, Trades, Etc.

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  8. Other Reason(s)

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey BURGH43STEL.

I ranted about this several times her. We win one more game last season, we win the division and go to the p
    Hey BURGH43STEL.

As I read your post and quoting you: "Up until we got MF from Miami, we had like 9 #1s playing for him and most people it seemed wanted him gone, especially after 2018. So we add a 10th #1". That is just "sick". I mean I was already aware of this but sometimes when you read something versus just hearing it, the information sinks in just a little bit deeper.

With 10 #1s, we should be pitching shut-outs every single game. Hypothesizing here a bit, it was not our drafted #1s and other starters on "D" that really seem to have put us over the top. It is the four guys just listed below. Wow again. This is unreal!
    • Fitzpatrick
    • Haden
    • Barron
    • Nelson

This is not to say that our starting "D" draft picks stink. They are very good. I also realize that they are all not #1s but most are. .
    • Heyward (#1)
    • Alualu (#1)
    • Tuitt (A projected #1 by some analysts)
    • Bush (#1)
    • Watt (#1)
    • Dupree (#1) (However, took too long to develop and puts us in a contract decision bind.)
    • Edmunds (#1) (Bust or another Dupree-like time-sensitive developmental issue. Not good yet, but hopefully will be SOON.)
    • McLendon (Undrafted)

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steel Hog.

My post below is in reply to one of your posts where you quoted the following:

"Yes, management certainly doesn't need to listen to their customers who are the reason they have their jobs. Good point".

I hope I took it the right way as I "think" I am backing you up on your quoted statement above.

Probably for the most part, I would think that most board members here are just fans of the game and that is great! However, as I have been an onlooker here for years, I have noticed that there are some really football-savvy members on this board. My point is that when someone here makes an X-O Tactical Point, Offense/Defense Strategy-Inquiry, Game-Planning Suggestion, and other talk alike, there are some here who are quick to dismiss their ideas. Sometimes, very rudely if I may add.

I get it. The Rooneys do not need us as arm chair coaches and I am pretty sure that they do not come to this board for coaching tips. However, as a Physical Education Instructor and Coach of many sports, for nearly 40+ years I think I know a little bit about football. I do not expect Steeler Management to listen to me. However, that does not mean that my ideas or others' alike are without some creditability.

I am not suggesting that one needs to present a resume to voice such an opinion here. You know, one that is more than just rah, rah; which once again, is fine too. We are all Steeler fans first here I am pretty sure. I am just saying, that when such a post does come along, I try to keep an opened mind to it and see how it may actually apply to our performance(s) before totally dismissing it. Take care.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  3. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Maybe the Rooneys do need to come on to this site as we have all of the answers to all of the questions and problems. Sarc off. I don't expect the Steelers to react to what they hear from the fan base but I do expect them to listen. Sometimes not listening ends up being a lot of empty seats or many opposing fans in our house which has happened (i.e Buffalo). Sometimes fan grumbling is reflected in the media and then more emphasis is made to maybe listen with a little more interest. Smart organizational leadership takes a pulse of what is being said by their customers but what / if they do anything with it we'll never know.

4. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Steel Hog.

I just added onto the post that I am in agreement with you. As I stated, from what I have noticed over the years here, that "there are some really football-savvy members" here on the board. Maybe reading what we have to say here from time to time would not hurt Management besides just tallying up the "gates".

Sometimes, I do think that the fans have way more invested in the team than the Owners and Management. At least from a "fandom" standpoint. Sometimes, monetary as well, as everything is relevant on a ratio basis as far as one's net worth. Take care my friend.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree ESK, though I think there’s a difference between some discussion on how the Steelers might run the offence differently given their roster, for example, and someone blurting out “OMG why is Tomlin so dumb why didn’t he just...” (insert action). Then again, there’s a difference between how we voice things in the game day thread and during the week lol.

The Steelers FO and coaches have a handle on the myriad of aspects to balance that we as fans probably wouldn’t think of. That doesn’t mean we have to agree with everything they do. But we do need to bear the complexities in mind sometimes.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    JuJu problems are most likely due to bad QB play and injuries, Sherman was a stop gap hire due to the timing of Drake's passing.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Colbert is what keeps this team competitive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This post made me laugh.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Other: Kevin Colbert

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Placating blame on one person sadly cannot be conducted in this current set of circumstances. There has been so many issues with this team that it is impressive they are still in playoff contention somehow. It is unreal honestly.

Now, that said, some of the aforementioned issues are far greater than others; both unpredictable and very predictable. :eek:

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    last time I remember football is a TEAM game. Won in all 3 phases.

13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    I agree 100%
    Hey Thigpen82.

I agree with your quote 100%: "The Steelers FO and coaches have a handle on the myriad of aspects to balance that we as fans probably wouldn’t think of". Absolutely! We as fans, whether here on the board or wherever, will never have our hand on the pulse as to what happens at "Steeler Central". That is thier job and I am sure they are top of game planning each week just as I am for my classes that I teach. The last thing I want, or would expect, is for Colbert or Rooney to come into my classroom and give me suggestions on how to teach.

Besides that, I was not suggesting in the original post as you read, that Steeler Central come here for advice. I know you get it (smile). I was just merely (sorry to be a broken record here) suggesting that there seems to be some very, very knowledgeable members here on the board about the "Game of Football". We here share a wide myriad (smile-your word) of ideas and opinions here on the board. And that is great! And that is what this board is for. Sometimes this includes some "Real "X and O Ideas" about the Game of Football from what would seem to be members here with either football playing experience, coaching experience or just real students of the game of football.

It is funny, in a sense, my last example: Students of the game. I have met some "Sports Junkies" over my 40+ years of teaching and coaching, that have never played a single down of football, on any level, and are some of the most insightful individuals to the strategic "Ins and Outs" of the game. That is because they do not just watch the game, they analyze it. The common denominator that I have found with these "Students of the Game" is that they have the capability to do this without letting the emotion of the game (especially the outcome) blind them to the facts of what is actually taking place on the field. Take care.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey steel machine.

I just saw your post now. Man, I am one of the most passionate sports fans there are. Especially when it comes to my Steelers as well as my Pirates and Penguins. I am equally as passionate as a coach.

Back to the Steelers.

When Winning:

I will scream my joy for the World to hear. I will open my front door even at Midnight, and express my happiness by shattering the silence of the neighborhood with screams of "pure delight". I usually only do the Midnight thing if it is against a hated division rival, especially the rats, as well as during post-season games.

As you may know, I am a retired teacher. When I had to do cafeteria duty, and we won against this town's team, I would take control of the mic and needle the hundreds of students in the cafeteria who were mostly against the Steelers. Those who were down with me were allowed to come up to the mic and give Steeler "shout-outs". Other staff members who were on duty with me knew it was coming but I did not care.

When losing or a tie:

I am boiling. To the point where I have to get out of the house and take a time-out to cool off. Sometimes, out of respect for other members in the house, I may not even watch the game but get updates. If losing, I will curse, yell and make many other comments that you could imagine which go along with that territory. I get infuriated to the point that it may take me several days to cool-off.

My demeanor on this board:

As far as my demeanor on this board, I take several approaches here. First and foremost, unless it is a troll, we are all here for one common goal. That is to see the Steelers be successful. So, I remind myself of that when someone posts something "ridiculous" to me or another poster for that matter.

One of the best topics is the old Cowher vs. Tomlin debate. Sometimes, I love when two posters get into it. Usually, they do not back up their positions with anything factual and just sling mud at each other. Sometimes, to the point of where TTF, or one of his Crew, has to intervene. I feel bad for TTF and his Crew when this happens but I am sure that when they set up this Magnificent Board that they anticipated the mud-slinging to go along with the task.

If it is totally absurd and/or the poster is trying to "bait" me into a non-sensical chat, I usually just ignore them. As a person who has worked with the public for 40+ years, I have developed very thick skin. I view this message board, for the most part, as a positive place for all of us "real" Steeler fans to congregate and enjoy one another's company.

Like most message boards it is not a perfect place. I was an onlooker for years before I actually joined about three months ago. My experiences have, for the most part, been very positive. Once again, when I get the absurd trying to bait me in, I usually just ignore them. Kind of like road rage. Wait about five minutes and they are a long gone passing thought. Feed into the BS and it can potentially escalate into a place where you regret ever going.

On a side note:

I think that TTF and his Crew have done a phenomenal job here from both the technical building of this site to their managing of it. I think that sometimes people do not completely realize how hard it is to do what they have done here and to maintain it. As a computer teacher, I have a fairly good insight as to what it takes to do what they have done here. We should all be very appreciative of their efforts.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm still chewing on this comment...:hmm:
    Thanks for the inspiration.