1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is to mostly blame for our losses this season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Dec 25, 2019.

1. The Team as a Whole ( A little blame to go around.)

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. The Defense

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Offense

16 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. Special Teams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Quarterbacks

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. The Coaching Staff

17 vote(s)
    28.8%
  7. Injuries, Player Departures, Trades, Etc.

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  8. Other Reason(s)

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Veteran back up is the most important position on the team? :roflmao:
    Keep um coming East Side Kid

2. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    The Bucs could use you for about two- three rebuilding years Glory Days. Then they would move on to their next rebuilding dynasty.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It’s a bit odd to criticise coaching for the punter kicking 22 yards. Firstly because I wouldn’t expect NFL punters to need a coach to say “kick it really far”; secondly because the punter clearly didn’t “decide” to kick it 22 yards.

Generally speaking I don’t like reducing games or seasons to one thing. There are trends - Fichtner removing the screen and slant game; not incorporating TEs more (me and you have long agreed in this @STEELWINDS )... that’s offensive coaching. Bad drops and fumbles - that’s player execution. Injuries - that’s just ****ty luck. Each game has its own reasons for turning out the way it does, and while there are trends across a number of them, I don’t think one single factor underlies the entire season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Blame can be placed all around. Inexperience is a major factor, coaching wise and played wise, up to front office wise.

it was like the perfect storm this year. Losing drake and munchak may have been two of the biggest losses of the year.

not replacing nix was a major screw up when knowing we may have to rely on our run game more.

looking at teams with a lot more star power that are behind us is the only win that makes me feel better about this team. It's actually pretty impressive to be where we are at this point. :cool:

5. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey Roonatic.

Smiling and Laughing with you my friend! You talk about a communication breakdown.

No, No, "My Bad" (As the kids would say.). I did not mean the "Back-Up QB" as the most important position on the team. I meant the QB. Sorry about that confusion. By the way, out of curiosity, what position do you think is the most important on a given team? I usually hear the QB. I tend to agree. I just can't stop thinking about all of those post Bradshaw years without a Franchise QB. Especially Cowher, with the Ds that he had. See the list below. Help me here if you may. Though, I think I covered all of them.

• Terry Bradshaw (“The Man”)

• Cliff Stoudt

• Mark Malone

• David Woodley

• Todd Blackledge

• Bubby Brister

• Neil O'Donnell

• Mike Tomczak

• Jim Miller

• Kent Graham

• Kordell Stewart

• Tommy Maddox
    • Big Ben (No Introduction Needed.)

And to think, initially, Cowher did not want Ben. He wanted the guard (Andrews) from Arkansas. Wow! Thankfully, he was overruled on that one by Management.

On a Side Note:

I have been meaning to find a platform for a big audience for my Side Note below. This is a great place for it. Thank You TTF. It is about Cowher's time spent coaching Ben.

Cowher was just getting warmed up with Ben.
    • Year#1: 15-1.
    • Year #2: Super Bowl Champions.
    • Year #3 Not very good for reasons listed below(Cowher's final year with Ben).

It is with Year #3 where some argue well if Cowher was so great what happened with him and Ben in Year #3. They only point out the 8-8 record but no substances behind their positions.
    I wrote a whole narrative about this "Lightweight Argument" but did not post it. This is mainly it.

Some, want to say if Cowher was so great then what happened in his third season with Ben. These discussions always circle around Cowher and Tomlin. Well, two issues (Listed Right Below) that many Pro-Tomlin fans I have talked to leave out of the conversation.

Ben’s:

1. Motorcycle Accident.
    2. Emergency Appendicitis Operation.

That is it. End of story. Mystery Solved!

I am still appalled at the number of fans that simply overlook and completely leave out of the debate the physical and mental tolls that those two events must have had on Ben’s body and mind.Moving forward, I had a hernia operation and man that thing was still bothering me a year later. I cannot even begin to imagine what Ben was dealing with and to Play Professional Football through it all. JUST WOW!

Speculation: If No Motorcycle Accident, and No Appendicitis, different outcome for that season. You can in part see it as time went on and they finished up 6-2 after starting 2-6. Coincidence, that as the season went on Ben’s body was healing as was our record? I do not think so. Oh No! Unfortunately, just too little too late. I truly feel that if Cowher had stayed we would have a few more rings with him and Ben together.

I give Tomlin credit for taking the baton and winning us a Super Bowl and getting us to another. However, I have mixed opinions about that. I will not get into the: Yeah, but Tomlin won with Cowher's players argument.

IMO, this would have been the beginning of a new Cowher Era. Some stated that he left because of his Wife’s health issues. I have also heard that the Rooneys and Cowher could not see eye to eye on a new contract/increased managerial duties. However, we will never know for sure. I am grateful for the time that they did spend together and the winning of the Super bowl. Not just for us fans but also for Bill Cowher's family and all of the heartbreaks that they endured with us.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

6. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Steelwinds hey

Leadership is the most important position on the team. Who fills this role as a player determines what the team will focus on.

Cowher's players, lol
    Bill made just as many mistakes as Tomlin. He had some leaders on his defense that lead for Tomlin too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

Yeah I am guilty from time to time thinking: Why is Management not listening to me. Not seeing what I and many other fans deem the "'Obvious". That is like Colbert coming into my classroom and trying to tell me how to teach. However, he may have good point of view if he hung around long enough like us, here, for years.

Personally, I think that are some very, very Sharp Football-Minded Members on this board. They bring some very good insight to the sport and our performances. Given that, yes management is not going to listen to us, nor should they. We can second guess them all we want and that is in part of what the board has been set up for us to do. Hey, none of us can argue with the Black & Gold's historical success. So, Management must be doing something right. Now, we have got to retake the lead in Super Bowl Trophies and get number seven.

8. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I agree with you on all but one thing, your coaching of the punter. Kickers/punters are strange animals. They are an integral part of the team and weigh heavily on the success of the team week to week. But they aren't football players in the sense that the vast majority of their job is non-contact related. They are coached differently as a result.

Their job is far more physical execution and routine than reactionary. You don't want them thinking. And coaches typically steer clear of them. On game day, they pretty much know what is expected of them based on field position, weather condition, and opponent. In that regard, they are pretty much on auto-pilot. Even a fake punt is already built in to the gameplan and doesn't have to be called from the sideline.

That isn't to say that plans don't change during the course of a game. Situations dictate adjusting the pre-programmed scheme at times and coaches obviously communicate those changes to the punter. But by and large, coaches try to stay out of a kicker/punter's head. You don't want them thinking. You want them to mechanically go through the steps to complete the kick/punt.

It's like shooting free throws in basketball. Even good shooters can get into a funk and start over thinking their shot. Once the shot (or kick/punt) is in your head, you can't simply go through the physical motion autonomously. And then you're screwed. That happened to Boz last year.

Charles Barkley has been an avid golfer for years and was actually got pretty good after hanging up his basketball shorts. I can't remember what happened to him, but he got his swing in his head and now cannot follow through with his drive. He literally hitches mid swing. I kid you not. And he hasn't been able to fix it in over a decade.

• Like Like x 1
  9. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

Yes, Leadership is not solely on the shoulders of the teams' coaches only. Nor should it be. Sometimes, the players have to step up and fulfill that role as well. When the whistle blows to start the game, there are 11 Steelers at a time on the field. We need leaders there. On the sidelines, we need player-leaders there. How about Ryan Shazier? Him just being there and plugging away everyday is both inspirational and leadership-worthy.

The styles and personalities vary whether the leader is a coach or a player. What constitutes a leader is a whole separate issue because there are so many different personalities on a team and they lead in different ways. For example, look back at Joey Porter. A loud and boisterous but effective and motivating leader. And from the same era, Troy Polamalu, who leads by "Walking quietly but carrying a big stick". Total opposite styles, yet equally effective IMO. I also think both did not shun away from embracing this concept and their roles within.

Oh no. Do not get me wrong. I acknowledge that Cowher has made his shares of mistakes along the way in his coaching career. That is just the way it is with any leadership position. The longer you stay around the more time for mistakes as well as successes. Hopefully though, the successes far outweigh the mistakes during that leader's tenure as Head Coach. I think that can be applied to both Cowher and Tomlin as their successes and failures both speak for themselves.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  10. Pengvin67

Pengvin67 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Hey Thigpen, believe me, I love the Steelers and hate to nit-pick. But I KNEW someone would find it odd that I criticized the Punter. So, let me take you back to September 28th, 2014. The Steelers are playing at home against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Steelers lead 24-20. 0:50 left 4th quarter, TB has ZERO timeouts. Steelers have the ball at their 17 yard line, 4th and 7. The punter comes onto the field. Situationally, this is when you need your punter the most. This MOMENT.

Brad Wing punts the ball 29 yards. TB gets the ball at PIT 46 with 40 seconds left. 28 seconds later TB punches it in for a TD. TB wins 27-24.

Winnable game at Home and the Punter makes a critical error, cost the Steelers game. I was INSTANTLY reminded of that when Berry punted 22 yards. Why does history eventually repeat itself? Because there is no attention to detail. If I were a coach, and I'm not saying I'm qualified in any way, but I would have pulled Berry aside the week leading up to the game and tell him, you're going to be our difference maker this week. Sounds silly, I know, but I would have been like 5 years ago, our punter mis-hit a punt and cost us a winnable game. Don't be that guy. That's all I'm saying.

Now maybe you'll think I'm crazy for remembering that minor detail, but again, I love the Steelers. I just can't stand lack of attention to the little details. Yes, the punter can be the MVP of the game and that's ok. Different players are needed to step up for different situations. Anyway, these are my humble opinions, so feel free to ignore me. ;)

11. Pengvin67

Pengvin67 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    I understand your take on that, and hopefully you'll read my response to Thigpen. I guess I'm just a detail oriented guy. I look at Justin Tucker and feel like he is part of the Ravens success. I personally never have a doubt that he's going to miss a fg in a clutch situation. Look at his attitude and somewhat brashness. Kind of goes along with the Raven's bravado. When I look at Jordan Berry, I think, yes, I'm just out here doing my job and oh well, I mis-hit a punt. No big deal. I tried. (If something goes wrong, Kind of like Mike Tomlin). I think you're allowed to yell at your Punter and coach them up to be confident and make sure they know that they CAN and WILL win us ballgames. I don't know, but history repeats itself when there isn't any accountability by coaches on the players. That's all I'm saying.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

It has been hard to watch. Not unlike the Kordell, Kent Graham, Turnover Tommy days 1998-2003. I guess I should have added Rudolph because his lack of development helped create the mess we are in at that [position. With our D he just needed to be competent and he couldn't do it.

13. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben needs to start hanging out with Shazier. Ryan's approach to getting back could rub off on ol Ben.

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Sherman may not be that good of a WR coach, but Washington and Johnson have gotten better as the season goes on. They should've found a FB to put on the practice squad at least once Nix was injured.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SteelerJJ.

Actually, Rudolph began fairly well as a starter. As you may recall, he came in for Ben in the Seattle game and was doing ok. We were on the verge of winning that game, when Moncrief lets the ball tip off his hands, leads to a pick, that Seattle eventually scores a TD and that was the difference in the game. Unfortunately, we could have won that game except in big part that interception. From there he lead us to a 5-2 record before the Browns' game which he lost. However he still was 5-3 as a starter. Not bad at all IMO.

I had/have big expectations for him. My Buddy who follows college ball way more than me said he was the real deal in college. I have been in his camp all season and hope he can "regroup" himself from the Browns' game. He did somewhat in the Jets game which was a good sign. As someone stated here, it probably would have been more strategic for us to have a Veteran Back-Up QB in place if Ben ever went down, short or long-term. Well, guess what? Poor planning on Management's part IMO.

16. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Tomlin and Kevin. The team was unprepared. And direction to go with Big Ben was wrong. This year was about Mason and they failed to prepare through the camp, and it showed. It was a wasted season, but fun nonetheless, it was a circus.

17. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    We can all recall several games in which the Steeler's punter has shanked a terrible punt with the game on the line. I remember a playoff game against the Chargers in one of Bradshaw's last season when we had a barefoot punter shank one late in the game to give the Chargers easy FG position to win the game. Yet can one person remember when our opponent has had their punter make a lousy punt with the game on the line? I can't. I just wonder if our franchise as a whole hasn't put a lot of stock in the punting position.

18. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    I'm with you on the details. That's one of my biggest issues with Tomlin. He preaches situational awareness but doesn't make absolutely certain his players are situationally aware. That is something that can be controlled. There is no excuse whatsoever for players not being aware and ready for effective decision making.

I don't believe that Berry is complacent, however. Nor do I believe that Tomlin hasn't shown frustration over sub-standard punting. I think Tomlin is a bad coach because of his style, not his desire.

It has been my experience that yelling rarely instills confidence. Some coaches can make it work, but athletes will eventually just tune out the noise. I know I did as an athlete. Yelling is effective to get attention, not to motivate long term or to educate/coach/teach. In your Justin Tucker example, I highly doubt his success came/comes from Harbaugh yelling at him.

I do agree about the importance of accountability. All accountability should start with the HC and filter down. Tomlin sends many mixed messages and doesn't hold all players to the same standard. That breeds dysfunction and instability.

19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Hey STEELWINDS,

Have to ask this. From your post I picture a calm person who doesn't let the Steelers bother them to much. Curious to know if you watch the Steelers banging your head against the wall (like me) or do you just let it roll off?

20. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I voted other and I am saying I put most of the blame on the teams that beat us........how dare they score more than 10 knowing we couldn't???????

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. vlad582

vlad582 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Ben's elbow

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. fearthesteel

fearthesteel Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2019
    i chose coaching staff more specifically randy ****tner. between him and the o-line. the o-line doesnt give these young qbs enough time and cant open holes for the running backs. i say draft all o-linemen this coming draft

23. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    TOMLIN

Ultimately he is the head of this program and this rerun has been going on for years. This year he will get a pass because of the injuries but we will just see more of the same next year and the year after that and the year after that....

The Coordinators especially Randy are piss poor as well which once again is a reflection of the guy at top choosing to surround himself with these morons.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  25. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Looks like the Rooney family trying to get one more ring out of little Mikey for the last 10 years

• Dislike Dislike x 1