1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is to mostly blame for our losses this season?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWINDS, Dec 25, 2019.

1. The Team as a Whole ( A little blame to go around.)

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  2. The Defense

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Offense

16 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. Special Teams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Quarterbacks

4 vote(s)
    6.8%
  6. The Coaching Staff

17 vote(s)
    28.8%
  7. Injuries, Player Departures, Trades, Etc.

15 vote(s)
    25.4%
  8. Other Reason(s)

3 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hi Everyone. I hope all is well with my Steeler comrades.

This will be my first Poll. I hope that everyone finds it interesting and participates. If you do participate, it would be great if you provided a little insight to your stance in a follow-up post to your vote. Of course, this it is not mandatory. I am just trying to brew up some good, and insightful, dialogue. Given that, your vote alone speaks volumes anyway (smile).

THE POLL: So, we have one last regular season game. Obviously, we should still be excited that we are “Playoff Significant”. Some of us are surprised that we are even still in the hunt and feel we have been on borrowed time for a good part of the season. I am pretty sure there is a wide spectrum of opinions here which makes that great! So vote, create a follow-up post (if you feel the need) and let’s see what we come up with. Take care.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
  2. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hi Everyone.

Personally, I feel like our team’s record reflects a squad that has actually “Underachieved” at this point in the season. Yes, I said “Underachieved”. Therefore, I voted “The Offense”. Once again, this is wide open to interpretation without some insight to my vote. So, let me be more specific. It is the “Blunders” that have occurred from some of the Veteran “O” skilled players that lead me to place the majority of our “mediocre” record on them.

Obviously, they played these games without Big Ben, except part of the Seattle game in which Ben was a non-factor anyway. In fact, we started turning things around when Mason came in and actually had a chance to win with Mason, if not for Moncrief’s “Tip-Passed Blunder”. This lead to a Seattle pick which in-turn lead to a Seattle TD, which in turn proved to be the deciding score leading to a Steelers’ loss.

Now, I realize that many close games can often be decided by a play or two. I get that. And that is why I chose “The Offense” because of the blunders listed below from the Veteran Players. Yes, the QBs (Mason and Duck) have contributed to some losses. However, the ones listed below are not on them (IMO) and actually cost us, at a minimum, four more wins.

If those players make those plays we can easily be at 12-3 right now. Remember, a play or two here or there. I know counter-arguments can be made for every close game. However, the blunders listed below are “Glaring” and easily can be pin-pointed to those specific plays as major in deciding the outcomes of those very, very close games.

Veteran player game blunders that probably cost us games this season.

Seattle: Moncrief (see explanation above.)

San Francisco: Conner’s fumble.

Rats: JuJu’s fumble in Overtime

Jets: Washington not securing a TD pass and JuJu (again) dropping a potential TD pass.

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You point out blaming Washington for the Jets loss, that was a great play by the corner at the last second to get his hand in between Washington, not much he’s gonna do there. He would of more than likely caught if not for that really good play by the jets corner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Glenn

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Who is responsible for the overall success or failure of a team? The HC. He is the liaison between athlete and ownership. He must speak both languages.

Ultimately, he is in charge of the product put on the field. His job is the same whether there are injuries or distractions.

This team is about to be 8-8. This organization does not view 8-8 as successful. We do not strive for 8-8. The HC is not fulfilling his duty to ownership, athlete, or fan by losing 8 games, regardless of excuse.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    If you say O, then you have to add injuries as well. The youth and inexperience on this team just expanded when Ben went down. The other injuries throughout the year just added to the complexities of the problems. While a play or two here and there may have cost us some games, we very well may not have been in those situations with experienced leadership at QB..all speculation, but the poll in speculation and opinion as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey troybellringer55.

Yeah, I agree with you on that one. However, I felt bad for JuJu getting two "blames" so I figured to throw Washington in there. You know how the saying goes: "Misery loves company" (smile). In all seriousness though, I agree with you. Maybe, I was expecting a 100% success rate (unfair, I know) for Washington's reputation for "hard-tough" fighting catches that turned out in his favor but hey you cannot win them all. Admittedly, he has been living more and more up to that reputation. Good for you James!

8. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey bigbenhotness.

Oh shoot, I forgot to put that one in as a choice (smile & laugh). Give me a moment to modify the thread. Just Kidding, just kidding.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I voted the coaching staff over the poor QB play. A lot of the QB failures are because the coaching staff, mostly Randy, has put these young QB's in bad situations.
    Off the top of my head I can recall some horrible play calling. Samuels throwing out of the wildcat that led to a gift 7 points in a game we lost by 3. The ridiculous fake punt against the Cards, and Conner running the wildcat which led to a fumble on first and goal. Even against the Jets twice we were in FG range and he called for pass plays one led to an interception and the other one led to a sack which took us out of FG range.

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I would agree, but the HC also can only play who is has on his squad. If injuries take you way past your 53 man depth, depleting even your practice squad to the point you are tapping others teams PS players you cannot blame the HC. Sometimes it just comes down to brutal reality, the players you are left with are never going to compete to the level of other teams, especially with constant roster moves, lack of any depth, and having to limit the playbook to a lower per percentage than what you could normally run.

I am not absolving Tomlin completely, I actually think this was one of his best HC performances under the circumstances. Also feel this organization is in flux and needs to totally restart from the top down (which they likely will not do). Colbert is going year to year...any new GM will want to bring his own staff in, Tomlin while supposedly regaining the locker room this year, still has been here a length of time where it is hard to truly motivate any newness from the veteran players. The coaching staff for the most part is low level production. While likely heading for some years of trial and error, I would rather see a total transition and new team come on board..sooner than later.

11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Vox Ferrum.

Yes, that is why I was hoping for some insight to coincide with a vote. Thank you. Yes, my reason (Veteran blunders) for the "O" is really just the dominant reason for my "O" vote IMO. Given that, yes again to your response. As there are other variables with the "O" as you stated: "youth, inexperience, Ben and injuries". For sure.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  12. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey The Glory Days.

Yes, for sure he gets his share of blame. I would even go a step further with the OC, DC, STC. To also, more specific player position coaches such as the O-Line Coach. The O-Line has seemingly backslid somewhat this year. Once again, Tomlin's Mantras. "The standard is the standard" and "Next man up".

In slight fairness to our HC, I know that there is a drop off in talent when a first stringer goes down. However, it is called having a contingency plan in place. I know I have mine as a teacher and other people at their jobs have theirs' as well wherever they may work and the demands of their positions; especially, in positions of leadership.

13. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Vox Ferrum.

Your quote is spot on: "the players you are left with are never going to compete to the level of other teams". I get it and agree. However, as I stated in the past: 'You have to deal with the cards that you have been dealt". We all do at our jobs. Especially, those of us in positions of leadership. Even those who are not! Many times the boss does not want to, or does not have the time to figure it our for you.

Personally, as a Pseudo-Computer Department Head (A position I self-created and developed) at my school I have many times needed to be a "Problem-Solver". These are the kind of people I want on "my team" especially, if I was ever to become a Principal. I want "Resourceful People". Not those always stuck in quicksand when something goes wrong. Then you get into micro-managing, which is never a good thing IMO.

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

14. Pengvin67

Pengvin67 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    I voted coaching because at the end of the day, in most losses, it comes down to lack of execution of key players on certain plays during the course of the game or mismanaging certain situations. The game against Buffalo is a microcosm of the lack of coaching. 2 great defenses going at it and the punter decides that I'll flip field position with a 22 yard punt. Is any coach during the week explaining to the punter that we're going to be in a very defensive game; field position will be huge; be very aware of your technique, especially this week more than any. Has he been coached up as a key player this week? Then 1st and 10 at the Buf 10, down 7-3 with 2 minutes left in the 1st half. Steelers receive the kickoff 2nd half. Run a couple plays that are very safe to make absolute sure we get 3 points. Defensive game, points are a premium. Get within 1 point at least and try to hold the Bills for the rest of the 1st half and come out with the ball in the 2nd half down 1. No, coaches want to make sure we do a unconventional offensive formation and turn the ball over. No FG, no points. Those are the little things that cause losses. Players aren't coached well enough to understand game situations and what needs to be accomplished at certain times in the game. Maybe because the coaches don't even know or don't prepare. I think the lack of attention of detail at certain points in the game is what causes losses and that focus has to be driven into the players by coaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    I voted coaching because ole Randy is simply not qualified for his role outside of being Bens figure head. I bitched about Rudolph being terrible for much of the year; however, to be fair, he was not exactly set up for success. Play calling has been beyond suspect. The offense is bad. No question. But the OC is also a huge part of that.

Tomlin has to take some blame as eel because ultimately it falls back on him. That’s the nature of his job.

16. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Injuries have been brutal. The lack of talent leaves little margin for error thus every mistake is magnified.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I voted the players & coaching (other).
    It was a collective display of inexperience learning how to win games. Then the coaches made things tougher with trying to run the offense like Ben was still throwing the ball.

18. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    With just a few exceptions, 2019 and 2018 very much mirror one another where the margin of winning and losing (scores) has been very narrow. This factoid mandates near perfection play in all 3 phases and absolutely magnifies the one or two plays (or officiating) that seem to define each losing game. The losses of course and the handful of turning point plays are then etched in our memories and tend to weigh down the collective mindset of Steeler Nation. Unfortunately, convincing wins are so rare for the Steelers anymore. Is that coaching? talent? lack of focus? parity? bad luck? lack of depth? Probably a bit of each which when reversed equates to marching towards championships or at least being competitive come playoff time. As one might say, an enigma wrapped up in a conundrum. :hmm:

Edit: Exactly what SteelerJJ is saying above - I wrote this a few hours ago before seeing JJ's and just returned to computer to post.

• Like Like x 1
  19. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey SteelerJJ.

I do not think you and I have ever chatted. Good to get to know you!

Yes, injuries have been "brutal" as you quoted. Someone made a good point here and with my Steeler comrades outside of the board as well. That being, that if we did not have the injuries, in a roundabout way it may not have lead to the picking up of Fitzpatrick. I just don't know as I am not privy to the Steelers' Management "Think Tank". IMO, with that being said, Minkah has definitely been the #1 of the catalysts for our "New and Improved D". It is just a shame that all within a very, very short same time frame we lose Ben, Bell, and Brown. Hey you can throw in another recent "B" in there too: Bryant. Wow, I really liked him. Too bad he blew it.

Could you imagine those players still here (Ben is different as we know with his injury) with the new and improved "D". What a team we would have! A friend today, stated that even without Brown, Bell is a headache to game plan for. I would love to see him come back and I know that there have been some swirling rumors of this possibly happening. If we can get a healthy Ben,and Bell back, with this Defense, I think we would be one Dynamic Team".

Given that, I am glad that Management is starting to see the light beyond assembling the team solely through the draft and Mid-Tier "Veteran Player" acquisitions. Key "Top-Tier" acquisitions such as: Haden, Nelson, Barron, Alualu have definitely helped in assembling a top-flight "D". Unfortunately, in a way, none of these are our picks. My point is Yes, Colbert and company have done a good job over the years with the draft and filling voids with Mid-Tier Veteran Players but we have to get the higher ranked free agents to make a difference as we are seeing with our current D". With more recent "D" drafts I like: Bush, Shazier (really sad), Dupree (finally) and Watt to name some.

Like you stated: "The lack of talent leaves little margin for error". Totally agree, as our "O' production is very poor and we must rely heavily on the "D" to carry us. I think that the pieces on the "O" are actually quite decent. We just cannot get all of them on field at the same time due to injuries. Back to Brown, I think all three of our starting WRs: JuJu, Washington and Johnson are all very talented. They should be able, when healthy, line-up in 3-Set and give Defenses fits. Compound this with a healthy Conner but (better yet the return of Bell), McDonald (who I like very much) at TE and on paper we are looking pretty good. For the record, However, management blew it by not having a Veteran QB on staff.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

Yes, there are multiple factors that can be voted on, for sure. It is just such a travesty that we went to having such a great "O" and then to basically lose them all seemingly "Overnight". More specifically, Ben, Brown and Bell. You know the cast. Also, I loved the guy and was difference-maker, I have to throw Bryant in there as well. He was a departure not too long ago as well. What a sheer waste of talent there. There was time when they were altogether we were just wishing for a Top-Flight "D". Now we got one and the tables have turned between the "O" and the "D".

With QB situation, the young QB's take a lot of heat but actually in my response to this post, they have played fairly well minus the two games that I mentioned. Mason: The first Browns' game and Duck the Bills' game. Once again, I voted the "O" but more specifically the "Blunders" from Veteran players IMO, cost us those games. I can not solely blame it on those players and plays but they were the most critical ones for each game which lead to my vote. Also, as I stated in another post here. Management blew it by not having a Veteran backup QB on tis team.

The coaches, yes. They definitely have had their hands in the "Losses Pies". None of them impress me as far as the big ones HC, OC, DC, and STs. I will not get into the position players coaches except for one, that being Sarrett, the O-Line coach as you know. Why does it seem that the O-line has "Back-Slid" under him? Munchak is only less than a year removed from the team. Is it Sarrett or something else? I can not see their physical skills deteriorating that quickly with Munchak's departure. Take care.

21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Given Ben's history of playing most games he could throughout his career, management did not see a need for a veteran back-up. The need in their minds & actions was to groom Ben's replacement in the next two to three years. Jury is still out on that, doesn't matter what we armchair GM's, coaches, players think.

22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Hanratty#5.

Yes, the coaching staff has left very little to be desired this season. The play "O" play-calling has been "Suspect" at best all year. Head-scratching definitely. The examples you gave are on point and there are others as we know. It just hasn't been just this year as well as you may agree. It has been going on for some time now. Flashback: third and one, The Play: air out a forty-yard bomb compliments of Bruce Arians and Todd Haley. When the smarter, and higher percent chance of plays, would have been to pick-up the one yard and getting a fresh set of downs.

I know some may argue well Ben has the ability to change a play at the line. However, I have seen my example play out so many times and mentioned just as equally here with disgust. You would think with all of the failures of this type of play calling, whoever it comes from, that lessons would have been learned. My question is If it is Ben's call on those third and one situations, does Ben overrule the coaching staff? Who is in charge?

Also with the QB situation, I place some blame on Management for not having a Veteran QB on the team. A journey man would have been fine by me. However, to have three inexperienced QBs on the squad in case Ben goes down, which he did, is totally inexcusable, TOTALLY! It is called having a "Solid" and "Viable" Contingency Plan, which all good companies, recognize, and have.

STEELWINDS
    AKA The East Side Kid

23. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

I just posted this several times regarding your quote: "management did not see a need for a veteran back-up". I will reiterate. To have three inexperienced back-ups as Management's contingency plan is just totally unacceptable. Then they scramble to get Landry Jones. Oh, that was great! Management gets paid millions of dollars for what you, I, and others on this board could have told them for free. Look, I do not pretend to be smarter than Steeler Management. Not by a long-shot. However, this is their job. And at least on this one, to have a Veteran QB back-up, at what many deem as the most important position on the team, is the smart and obvious thing to do.

Hi Everyone: I wanted clarify something for the post above as another poster pointed out to me that I may have confused some folks into thinking that I felt that a Veteran Back-up QB is the most important position/player on the team. What I was trying to emphasize is that
    the "Starting Quarterback" is the most important position/player on the team.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Pengvin67.

I do not think that you and I have ever chatted. Glad to talk with you. Excellent points made my friend, just excellent. We all saw it. I stated the same thing in a different thread and to my other Steeler comrades outside of this Board. With points coming at a premium, that was three that we left out on the field because the coaches tried to get cute. Your Quote: "Those are the little things that cause losses" is spot on. Especially knowing that the game had a good chance of being a defensive battle. A score of 7-3 vs. 7-6 going in a halftime, with us to receive the KO to begin the second half gives us a sense of some momentum. Especially, knowing that even with a FG we take the lead.

Again, another one of your quotes: "lack of attention of detail...." is a coaching issue. Tomlin always talks about "Situational Football" and being cognizant regarding it. In tight games, like that one, it really is about a few plays that define that fine line between winning and losing. Once again, it is up to the coaches to drive home these points during the weekly meetings/practices as well as during the games.

25. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Be thankful management doesn't listen to fans that have their finger on what is acceptable or not. Pay them big bucks to do it because we would look like the Bucs organization without them.