1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Is The Biggest Issue?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jay31, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Jay31

Jay31 Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Between Kenny Pickett and Matt Canada, who have been the biggest offensive issue? If the Steelers had either Jared Goff, Brock Purdy, Tua Tagovailoa, or Trevor Lawrence, but they still had Matt Canada as the offensive coordinator, are the Steelers better offensively, or if they keep Kenny Pickett, but got either Eric Bieniemy, Matt Nagy, Frank Smith, or Brian Johnson as the offensive coordinator?

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Both :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Tomlin is biggest issue

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Canada is 1A
    Kenny is 1B

Half of our running plays take too long to develop. Our passing plays don't get anyone open fast enough unless they're junk drop offs and WR screens. Defenses are not fooled by a single thing we do. How is it that every pass play we run, the instant our receiver even touches the ball, 4 damned defenders are on him?!?! Yes, Cleveland has a great defense, but come on. And we don't ever seem to have a strategy. Plays are simultaneously willy nilly and still predictable. It's like our playbook is out of Tecmobowl. We pretty much run the same 8 plays. (Yes. That's an exaggeration. Calm down)

Kenny isn't seeing the field at all. On the rare occasion our receivers do get open, he either doesn't see them or throws bad balls. That is, when he actually even has time and isn't running for his life 0.25 seconds into the play.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Tomlin is the biggest issue. We had the exact same issues with the offense when Ben got hurt and we had a different OC then and Rudolph at QB. Tomlin doesn’t know how to build up and develop rookie QB’s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    Fish rots from the head down, to stubborn and blinkered to change ANYTHING unless they literally have no choice, this is an org with it's collective head stuck up it's collective ass and that ass is still in 2004.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Mike Tomlin the enabler is to blame as well.

8. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    D. all of the above.:cool:

10. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would say Tomlin as he is being told what is wrong, by people and what is there on tape and he is either too stubborn or arrogant to make any changes. The proverbial buck stops at the top though and Art II has presided over this mediocre mess for years and doesn’t seem to care so I will put the biggest blame on him.

11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Art

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The wild card here is Khan. Some think that Kenny automatically get another season but let’s say Kenny is abysmal for the rest of the year, Khan didn’t pick Kenny, has no attachment to the pick and has already shown he marches to the beat of his own drum.

He could move on. The only think is they will be picking too low to get one of the top guys but if someone falls or there is someone else they like that isn’t a top 10 guy, whos to say they won’t draft him.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  13. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Rooney is the issue

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I was thinking this as well. Barring significant improvement between now and the end of the season Kenny has not earned another year as the automatic starter. At a minimum they will need to bring in genuine competition for him.

I don’t know who is hitting free agency around the league but they need a better option than Mitch / Mason to come in. They’re not going to be in a position to draft somebody by the looks of it

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    The Standard is to blame especially Mike Tomlins-----<not Jaylen's Standard >which is the <steeler> Standard:sword:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

I lean more towards coaching being the issue. Canada struggled with Ben, granted Ben was pretty well done.
    I've pointed to several tell-tale signs that coaching is problem regarding our QB.
    People chose their demons.

It would be disastrous to have to go a different direction and go to another QB at this point.
    Not saying it can't be done, it will be costly.
    And then it's a roll of the dice anyway.

But here's what angers me the most.
    They knew that they were going after Kenny Pickett and they pretty much said he's the franchise.
    WHY did they stick with Matt Canada? The guy has sucked all along.
    When you invest in a Franchise QB, and I don't care who his name is, you make sure you set him up to be successful.
    They made no attempt to. They did not even bat an eye at any OC out there.

It's a little like buying a Ferrari and never checking the oil.

You're right about Khan, he's the one going to make that decision and he is not afraid to.
    So, let's say the Steelers go all out and own pick 1 or 2.
    I wouldn't want Canada anywhere near those top 2 QB's.
    I hope Khan brought his gym shoes.. this is going to be not easy.

17. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Ben certainly carried this team and Tomlin for such a long time. Now that he is gone, MT is like a deer in the headlights staying the course he's used for over a decade and hoping to go .500 for the next extension. You need an analytical football mind to adapt to the players strengths and adjust to the opponents' weaknesses on the fly. We do not have this. How many times has MT said that we're not changing anything even if it is not going well? Rooney is the root cause of course as his agenda keeps him from making changes that are needed. JMO>

18. vasteeler

vasteeler Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2016
    I thought the minute Dan Rooney died so did the team. I don't know what it is about Art but I just don't like him. Granted I don't know anything about anything that goes on within the organization. In my opinion he just doesn't have the charisma that the other two did.

• Like Like x 2
  19. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I am of the view that if we subbed Kenny for Trevor Lawrence our offense would be better. It might not be elite, but it would certainly be better.

I am not so sure Kenny would perform considerably better in a different system. Too many deficiencies in his game for me to think that he has the fundamental basis to succeed anywhere in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    At this point nothing Omar does would surprise me, except giving up 3 1sts and other picks to move like san fran, he has shown he is not above making moves to fix things.

21. Hardini68

Dec 3, 2018
    Mike Tomlin is the issue he’s a major problem

22. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Talk to people in the organization and most will agree (although certainly not on record).

• Like Like x 2
  23. Hardini68

Dec 3, 2018
    Mike Tomlin is the problem no doubt he’s dillusional. His way has not worked for 7 years now that’s a lifetime but hey no losing seasons !!! He’s a joke lucky the pussy Pittsburgh media does not hold him accountable

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Hardini68

Dec 3, 2018
    They would still suck Tomlin and Canada are horrible

25. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    None of it matters if they don't get rid of Canada. As for a QB, Kenny got a raw deal imo. He came in with Trubisky and Rudolph as his senior talent. He was under a Canada offense. The O line sucked. Kenny should be better, but did he ever really have a chance? We can all talk about how he is not seeing the field, but has he really been mentored? How different would he be if he was brought into an offense where he is not running for his life half of the game? How about if the team did not telegraph every run play so that the run game could develop into something that strengthens the pass game? How about if the staple play was something a bit more varied than a check down pass?

I just don't think that Kenny has gotten a fair shake. So what now? Drop Trubisky (I think his contract is up after this year) and draft a new QB? Will that lead to a different result with the current system? I don't think so. Maybe pull in another veteran QB from somewhere? Going to cost a lot of money to get someone good and another 'Trubisky' is not going to be an improvement. It is also risky. Look at the big name QB shifts.....Rodgers and Watson. Crazy money paid and both out for the season or at least most of it. Even in the other major QB shifts, there are a ton of injured QBs picked up in the offseason that are now out for injury.

I think they need to drop Canada, Trubisky and maybe even Rudolph. Pull in another veteran QB and draft high. The problem is not going to be fixed miraculously in 2024 imo. Think longer term. Get a decent veteran QB that is smart. You want someone that can mentor Pickett and the new draft pick. Someone that is probably a bit over the hill, but can still play and most importantly understands how to be a QB in the modern day NFL. That is really what they should get. As for the defense, it is good now. And defense can win a lot of games.....but if the offense is so inept, it is going to not have a losing season at best. Aside from a QB, we need to make our O line better. That needs to be fixed in the draft and off season. A good O line can make a mediocre QB good, just like a bad O line can make a good QB bad (or send him to IR). We are 85% defense and 15% offense right now it seems like. We need to be more balanced.