1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is the Artie Burns of this draft?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 16, 2017.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    The more I think about the low value of the Cockrell deal, the more I think the Steelers almost see him as an insurance policy.

I think the Steelers could very well be gunning for a CB in round 1. That way if later on in the season Cockrell is the #3 or even #4 CB, the Steelers aren't out of pocket too much, while maintaining a good level of play.

I have a list of 7-8 CBs that I would be comfortable at #30 the more I think about it.

2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. They are open to upgrading as the 4th rd tender proves. I think a boundary CB is very much in play but are comfortable falling bak on Cockrell if they have to.

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    It also allows an outside corner with potential, who is not quite ready for the NFL, to be targeted after the 1st round.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am a Cunningham fan however I agree he tackles high and I don't like that. The things that I like is the fact that he is always around the ball and he is fast and good in pass coverage. The whole he don't fit our system puzzles me, what is our system.....3-4, 4-3? What I am getting at is we play so much mixed that he really does fit our system, jmo.

I am not trying to start a debate over like or dislike of Cunningham, but my whole reason for liking him is that he fits what we are doing with our D. If we drafted him I would like it if we pass on him I am fine with that too cause there is some nice talent out there.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think he would fit better if we were replacing Shazier, not Timmons. I like Vince in the base defense, and taking him off the field for another DB in sub packages more than trying to find a 3 down linebacker to replace Timmons. In our base defense, the LB replacing Timmons needs to be a strong side-capable linebacker against the run (whether we're talking a Buck in a 3-4 or a SAM in a 4-3). We already have our weak side "chase" LB in Shazier. When I watch Cunningham, I see a guy who fits best as a weak side LB. Just my view.

6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Yeah I see what your saying, I guess I feel a little different with Cunningham. :smiley1: