1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is the Artie Burns of this draft?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 16, 2017.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    And the Sean Davis for that matter?

What I mean is, who are guys that we may take in the 1st and second rounds that few are forecasting?

I know I was caught off guard with both of our selections last year, as many were. Only a handful of people even mentioned Artie Burns as being a possibility.

Like many, I had Burns more of a Round 2 guy and Sean Davis as a Round 3. Obviously I was wrong in my evaluation. Looks like we got 2 pretty good prospects.

But who are the potential wildcards this year? I don't think it would happen but I wouldn't be completely shocked if we took King from Washington at #30.

Maybe Tankersley from Clemson at #30. I like him but that would be an off the radar selection.

In Round 2, maybe an OLB Carroll Phillips from Illinois or S Eddie Jackson from Alabama?

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Condrea is too old for my liking to nab at 30.

I would say Faiban Moreau had it not been for the injury or Kevin King except I do not think Mike Tomlin has met with him at the pro day either. Both would be awesome fits. One can easily coast with burners and the other is essentially a quicker and more versatile "Artie Burns".

Only person I could think of was Marlon Humphrey mainly due to the traits he shares with Artie being a track star (hogh school at least). That, coupled with his experience (albeit limited in Alabama's system) in coverages gives him an edge.... should he last until then.

Our "Sean Davis"? Josh Jones may be more "Mike Mitchell" now, but he can become a Sean clone as the season progressess.

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Witherspoon, the kid from Colorado has good speed and size. Eddie Jackson would be great. Immediate help on returns and was a huge leader on that defense. Super kid

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    First round Jarred Davis. Paired with Shazier our middle would be incredibly athletic. Almost all drafts have him early second round.

Second Round Sidney Jones or Marcus Williams.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Look to the pro day visits by KC/MT and the official prospect visits. Burns and Davis may not have been on a lot of our radar screens, but they were clearly on our team's radar, and it was very evident before the draft. I doubt our 1st and 2nd round picks will be surprising to anyone who reads the tea leaves.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Sure will not surprise me haha.

7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh don't get into reaching SCNB as some posters on this board do not understand that
    maybe their grading of players maybe not be the same as your's or mine.In my case I did not think Sean Davis was a 2nd round draft prospect last year. I thought he was picked slightly higher than he should have been. Lets hope the Steeler scouting department are watching LOTS
    of tape and talking to lots of people.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I also had Davis as a 3rd rounder. The way Davis improved over the course of the season proved that the Steelers were right, and the rest of us were wrong. The pick wasn't a reach at all.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    So I was shocked when we drafted Artie Burns but not Davis so with that said who is this years Burns and Davis:

Round 1 - Derek Rivers and Cam Sutton

Round 2 - Ryan Anderson and Dion Dawkins

10. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think a guy who would shock the fans and be called a "reach" in the 1st round would be Kpassagnon. Much has been made about how our drafting has been shifting to height/weight/speed, and he has a rare combination of traits coupled with tape that frankly blows Rivers out of the water. He's still a player in development, but the potential is very high. You can't teach a guy to be 6'7" 289 and have 35 1/2" arms while running a 4.8 40 and broad jumping 10'8". Plus there's essentially zero off-the-field risk with him. While guys like Tim Williams were getting in trouble last summer, Tanoh was interning with a Big 5 accounting firm. My only off-the-field concern with him would be the question of just how important football is to him in the long run.

11. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Would love to have Davis. Was hoping he would be around with 2nd. I wouldn't be passed if he was first but don't think they will with Williams

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Not to brag but I had the Steelers taking Sean Davis in the second round last year :shrug:. Maybe this year it could be Josh Jones not at #30 but in the second round, Rivers at #30.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Eww

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah.... no offense to the guy, but he's not a 1st round pick for a win-now team.

15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    This would be a real reach even into the 2nd round. Better have dominated
    his respective conference/division? Would give your man Cam and Stephon competition
    at the end spot, this way DL coach could rotate DE position. But what about Alulu signing?
    Does this add up?Do the Steelers now have the personal to play a 4-3 ala the NY Giants?
    Building to beat the Pats?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  16. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    How about this ugly one, Deshone Kizer? Please no.
    If we go QB Watson or Tribuskey.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    cordrea tankersley.
    josh jones.
    jordan willis.
    ryan anderson.

any of this combination could be our sleeper picks in the 1st and 2nd. :cool:

18. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Jarrad Davis or Zach Cunningham...

Then Rivers or the next best CB.. in 2

19. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

While Cunningham does have the best pass coverage skills of any linebacker in the draft, he is better suited for a 4-3 team in which he does not have to engage so many defenders unlike in a 3-4.

Jarrad Davis would be the better of the two (assuming eithet Miami, New York or Oakland have snagged him up by then).

20. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree that Cunningham isn't a fit. He's also a really inconsistent tackler for a LB. He likes to hug ballcarriers up high, and try to drag them down like they're wrestling. The first half of his tape against Tennessee was brutal in the respect.

21. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Pass coverage skills are nice to have when you play the pats. Shazier and Zach would be a quick MLB team. If Jarrad is there you go with his 4.56 40 over Zach..... But i think Jarrad will be gone.

22. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason a hybrid defender or cornerback is needed. A hybrid defender reduces the weakness of the "deep hole". A cornerback boosts the arrary of coverage options.

A linebacker does not provide that as much anymore in Pittsburgh's Tampa 2 3-4 Eagle scheme. Outside of Shazier, there really is not much of a need for a pass coverage linebacker due to the rise of the hybrid player (or in Pittsburgh's case, the return of).

All the more reason I will not the following players at 30:

Budda Baker

Obi Melifonwu

Jabrill Peppers

All three can solve the hybrid issue. Should anyone of these players be in play at 30 in addition to all pass rushing options gone, do not be surprised if one of these three are the pick.

Otherwise, here are the cornerback options in play at 30:

Marlon Humphrey

Or

Tre'Davious White

If Humphrey gets the nod then that must mean Ross could be kicked inside. If Tre'Davious is picked, that completes the corner rebuild.

In the end, the NFL Draft is anyone's guess and a crapshoot at that. Parity at it's finest as we will have to look back at this draft three years from now to find out who was right and who was wrong.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He can't be any worse than Jarvis :shrug:

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Lets strive to do better than Jarvis this time.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

we could also see a starting corner for ross because of not re-signing him to a longer term deal. don't forget cody sensibaugh was brought in. he could be that new slot corner. would we draft for life after ross? would we draft to replace him as the starter for next year? would we try to keep him around as depth or dime type situations? i do agree with you as you know about the changing hybrid player in a big safety. i've been saying this for a long time. it makes too much sense. why would we try to find a new timmons that wouldn't be as good as what timmons was? we would just be putting ourselves in the same situation that wasn't working for us in coverage. i say it's safety the whole way or edge rusher or starting CB for down the road. :cool: