1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is the #3 WR?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by The Renegade, Aug 27, 2016.

1. The Renegade

The Renegade Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    Rogers got the nod over Coates and DHB last night. Is that a sign of things to come or is Haley just playing the idea around and seeing what Rogers can do with Ben?

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Kind of having this discussion with Eddie. I think people are putting the cart ahead of the horse, Eli has done squat at the pro level. I can't imagine the depth order looking anything other than:

AB
    Wheaton
    Coates
    DHB (maybe swap him with Coates, either way)
    Eli

At least until 6 or 8 games and than maybe Eli, if he performs to the expectation fans have of him, will work his way in.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Idk, Rogers is our only true slot WR. Wheaton can play some slot and so can AB, but AB can do anything lol I bet you see Rogers Coates and DHB get similar snaps to one another early on depending on he package and situation

5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    According to the Saints announcers (NFL Channel Replay) - it would be "Jesse Rogers". They also had BB wearing #3 in the 3rd series of the game. I guess everyone has to shake off rust during pre-season. :shrug: Otherwise - very nice game - almost made pre-season fun again.

6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Coates has also done absolutely nothing at the pro level, but the difference is he's looked bad so far this pre-season

7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He has a year in the system and handled himself well in a playoff game. He's light years ahead of Eli.

8. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    plus they had
    Ben leading the league in passing yrds lst yr
    the center who held was Maurice pouncey

when they thought ben was out there in the 3rd series they commented on how much the steelers like to play with house money

lo

9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He is going to be the slot WR , and yes he will be the starter ...It will be just as I stated weeks ago AB and Wheaton outside and Rogers in the slot.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    From what some Pittsburgh analyst said.... Basically it's AB as the #1 and then the rest of them will be used situationally. For example DHB isn't exactly a #2, but he may get used a lot when they need a blocker on 1st down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
  12. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm cool with this idea. The problem I have with it is that they have to also pass out of these formations. If DHB is the better blocking receiver, only putting him on the field when he's going to be blocking telegraphs whatbthey are going to do. I hope they can switch up the personnel and keep teams guessing.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we shall see because they also like to trot bell out there as a wr from time to time. i'm guessing eli gets about 22-25 catches this year. barring injury of course. DHB probably similar numbers. coates maybe 30-35. :cool:

14. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    Archer redux

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It doesn't really matter all of them will get significant playing time, Haley will have certain packages to use Coates and Rogers.

16. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    not many offensive plays to be had when we score in 3 to 4 plays

although

with our number one defense and leading the league in take aways i can only imagine there would be MORE chances on offense
    so i stand corrected

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I think Wheaton is gonna have a breakout season, much like the Seattle game. They have to double team AB. So, that will create favorable match ups for Wheaton. DHB will get 20-30 balls thrown his way. If he catches them, then maybe more. They will all get opportunities. Despite having Bell, DWill, and the Steelers' way, I expect Ben to throw it early and often this year.

18. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Can't help but notice Coates jersey number & think Limas Sweed must be smilling. If history has its say, Sammy is doomed to fail. What, he couldn't pick a number in the 80's??

19. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Self correction can be a beautiful thing ...... lol

Cajun

20. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Maybe its in homage to this guy?

[​IMG]

Although even he seems to be having problems securing the ball...

21. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Coates and Rodgers play different positions in that Coates is outside and Rodgers plays the slot. Coates also had more snaps. The thing is it all depends on the personnel grouping they have on the field.

Friday nite when they went 3 Wr utilizing a slot Wr Rodgers totally dominated 1st team 1st two series which says a lot. They obviously like him and he didn't disappoint.

My prediction is AB and Coates starters with DHB & Wheaton as backups. Eli will probably be officially listed as 3rd string Wr / PR but in reality he'll be the unofficial #1 slot Wr and Wheaton will be #2 slot since we do play a lot of 3 WR sets.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    AB, Marcus Wheaton, Sammie Coates. Hopefully Eli Rodgers will receive lots of touches this year
    and DHB brings up the rear.

23. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Coates isn't light years ahead of anyone. He has looked quite ordinary for the most part. Rogers has looked much better, although they aren't the same player nor do they have the same role at all. Rogers is a slot receiver. He simply can't play outside. Coates is going to play outside. So really, Coates is competing against Wheaton. But the question in this thread is who is the #3 and it's absolutely Rogers at this point in time because of the role he plays and the fact that Coates hasn't earned a starting role on the team. Coates has a lot of improving to do. Rogers isn't going to ever set the league on fire, but he could be a very reliable safety blanket for Ben in time.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    on 3rd and short they will all be on the field. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    The term "#3 WR" is essentially useless. It's package and situation that matters. They're all going to play.