1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is Goodell's boss?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mongoose, Dec 15, 2011.

1. mongoose

mongoose Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't keep up with the workings of the NFL, but I assume that Goodell is hired by the 32 NFL teams owners. Is his contract year to year or long term? It is unfathonable to me that a majority of the owners are satisfied with his performance and the direction in which the NFL is headed. What would it take to replace him? Why isn't there a movement in the league to make this happen? Sorry for the rant.

2. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm sure if the owners put him in the job they can take him out as well. Here's the thing though. The owners primary objective is to make money. All of this other stuff like the player fines, suspensions, safety, etc. is secondary to them so if Goodell's delivering on his job in the revenue department the owners won't lift a finger to toss him out. While many of us contend Goodell's ruining the game, until that's reflected in the owners profits he'll probably have the job as long as he wants it. So the short of it is boycotting the games and the purchase of any NFL products is about the only thing that would get him removed because then you're taking money out of the owners pockets. While many of us hate the guy with a passion very few of us (me included) would be willing to make the sacrifice it would really take to get rid of him because we love watching football every week more than we hate Roger. My guess is outside of Steeler fans most NFL fans either don't even know who he is or could care less whether he stays or goes. Point is you'd never get the kind of fan support that would be needed to push him out of the job unless he screwed up and broke the law or something and unfortunately for us being a clueless idiot isn't breaking the law.

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  4. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    :roflmao:

5. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Kraft or the devil. Either answer is acceptable.

:godell: x 1,000

6. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  7. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011
    Actually, we the fans are his boss. without us, there would be no nfl.

8. hi0

hi0 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    While that's noble and all, it's not in the minds of the owners or Goodell.

Personally I think commissioners should be held to either five or ten year tenure's, to ensure that one person doesn't get too powerful and effect the game in a negative way.

9. Tdot Steeler Fan

Tdot Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
  10. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Obviously the 32 owners are Goodells's bosses. They put him in and they can take him out, if enough of them so decide.

But for the all the ranting, raving, belly aching that I hear from so many Steeler fans about Rog, it ain't clear to me that the Rooneys are inclined at all to get rid of him.

12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Sorry, but the topic of this thread immediately made me think of this:

[youtube:3ohpu8zn]nmJKY59NX8o[/youtube:3ohpu8zn]

13. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    To late!!!!!!! :goodell:

14. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I thought I posted on this topic, the other day... hmmm... anyway...

I believe Goodell works for the 32 owners and is supposed to represent a neutral party for regulation of the league. The NFL itself is made up of the 32 teams.

That being said... apply enough pressure to the collective 32 owners, and Goodell goes "bye-bye."

The only way to do that is for NFL fans to band together and hit all 32 owners in their pockets. It would require great sacrifice on our part. But, as long as we continue to pour our money into the NFL via watching on T.V., ordering sports packages, paying for live attendance and purchasing NFL merchandise, then we send the message that we are okay with what Goodell is doing by means of subsidizing a sport that runs on his regulation.

This is similar to the issue with the Cincinnati Bengals. The fans in Cincinnati will not pay for tickets to Paul Brown stadium because they love their team, but they are boycotting Mike Brown (owner/operator Cincinnati Bengals). The media portrays this as them being bad fans, and state that the franchise will move away if they don't support.

So the question becomes simple. Which is worse: Having what you don't like, or having nothing at all?

Thoughts?

15. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    This is the first time I've heard of the Cincy fan's boycott. If this is true, they are doing a great job of boycotting, because unless the Steelers are in town there are empty seats everywhere at their games.

16. CaBurghfan

CaBurghfan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Seriously? You don't think that a majority like him? He has helped grow this league into a multi-billion dollar industry, one which beats out any other sport on the planet, and has continued to increase revenue throw these tough economic times. No matter how much the owners love football, they love the almighty $$$$ more.

Goodell will never be asked to step down, inless the owners find him with $2 Billion in a secret Swiss bank account that he swindled from them.

17. white_steel_wolfe

white_steel_wolfe Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Yup. :glare:

18. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    The fum duckin owners are his boss. They had better get his ass on the first thing smoking out of town, before he ruins this game.

19. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Bobby When i saw that in the movie I laughed so hard I stopped breathing for a few

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would hope Art Rooney II and the rest of the owners get together
    and come their senses before it is too late. They are ruining a beautiful game.
    The players no what they signed on for, football is a violent game PLAYED BY VIOLENT PEOPLE.
    So please all you soccer moms and dads go back to where you belong and leave the football
    playin to real men.

21. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I think that the owners are Goodell's boss. I heard Jim McMahon on the radio recently talking about being part of a lawsuit against the NFL over concussions, vets benefits etc. and the new rules and fines that we are seeing now are a result of the lawsuits combined with a Congress that has nothing else better to do that bring in Goodell for a congressional hearing on concussions and now they're doing that with the HGH issue. In a nutshell, the owners are covering their collective legal butts. It sucks for fans but this is an overly litigious society. It is what it is.

22. BLACKnGOLDsince72

Oct 16, 2011
    BINGO!