1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is getting the ax.....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by NY STEELERFAN, Apr 30, 2018.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    So the draft is in the books and we have added talent at a lot of positions both in the draft and via FA after the draft. With that said who are the guys on our roster that could be gone and replaced with these new players? I am adding a few names with the salary we will save.

Wilcox 3.1m No brainer here
    LJ 1.9m I think a preseason battle will happen with him and Dobbs
    DHB 1.2M I think we added a lot of special team players including the Henderson kid after the draft.
    McCullers 630K enough is enough, hello Fraizer
    Toussaint 630K someone has to go and I think it may be him

Anyone else?

2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Those all sound good to me

• Like Like x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Landry is not getting cut. DHB is a special teams standout and might survive but will not be shocked if cut. The rest I agree with. I would add Jordon Dangerfield. Dobbs will fall on the sword after camp.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

I wish people would stop with the "Landry Jones being cut nonsense."

Jones is not going anywhere.

• Like Like x 2
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    J.J.'s would have not been changed even if Rashaan Evans fell in the draft. He was getting replaced anyways.

Jaylen Samuels is essentially a far superior Fitzgerald Touissant.

Joshua Fraizer will beat out Big Dan. The "Shade Tree" will no longer be here.

As for Landry Jones, given the fact he is a proven backup in the league, I would say let Darwinism answer that one for us come the preseason. Time will tell if Dobbs is ready to supplant him or not.

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    At QB things don't look good for Dobbs, but wouldn't surprise me that they would try to get him to practice squad perhaps.
    I don't think things look good for Toussiant at RB.
    The Wide Receiver spot is a little more open. Tomlin is DHB fan boy. But or Justin Hunter maybe would be odd men out.

On defense
    Wilcox is going to be gone.
    Big Dan will be on his last leg is Frazier beats him out.

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Agreed.

Looking at it objectively: LJ is an experienced back up, knows the system, and is seen by the coaches as being calm under pressure. He's shown he can manage a game, which is basically what you want your back up to do.

Dobbs will have to show all that and more to unseat him. Not impossible, but a tall order given the arrival of Rudolph.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I wish to hit the lotto and live a very happy life with a house in every nice weather state next to a golf course..........

Seriously LJ getting cut is not that far fetched especially if Dobbs lights it up in preseason. You and everyone else on the LJ train are acting like we are saying cut Ben, there will be a battle in preseason and there is a chance LJ could be gone. Right or wrong?

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Heres the thing about Landry Jones. All I heard about for months leading up to the draft is that Mason Rudolph is a first round talent. If this is true, then Mason needs all the reps in practice he can possibly get. The best way for him to do that is if he is your immediate backup. If he comes in and lights up the preseason, and I actually think he will, Landry is going to become expendable.

Like I said in a different thread, I think Landry carries some trade value. He is a decent veteran backup in this league. There are teams that could use one of those. So if someone was willing to part with either a player who could add depth, or a 5th round pick I would trade Landry and go with Rudolph and Dobbs. If not, I would keep Landry and go with Landry and Rudolph. Just my 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    It has little to do with being on the LJ train and more to do with the situation and how this team approaches it's roster make up. Dobbs will be given every opportunity to show what he has learned in camp but that has to be weighted against how the Steelers feel about a proven backup QB with actual real game experience that has shown that you can win. We know how the preseason will play out. Ben and Jones used sparingly in the games Dobbs will split time with Mason and will have to try and put enough on tape to convince the staff he is a better choice than Jones given the weighted metric. It could very well happen but the chance is small and the task is big. That is the reality of it.

11. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't know why, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ridley got the axe and they kept Fitz again. I don't know why, but the team sure seems to love him.
    I agree that Frazier probably means the end of big Dan, but I am curious to see if Dunbar can make the light finally go on for Dan during camp.
    While I like Wilcox, I think it's a $$ game for him. They won't want to keep his salary on the books if they can find similar production somewhere cheaper.

12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
  13. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    If Rudolph lights it up.. That would be the best time to trade Landry.. We would have a legitimate excuse for moving him, maybe add some fake value to him and get a pick.. if you wait.. you get nothing.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, I think its silly. Keeping a BU over a guy that could be a starter. Sorry Steeler fans, I dont care about your crystal ball that says Dobbs isnt one :bscow:

Fact is, they need to find out what they have. My God, can you imagine you cut Dobbs and he goes on to be a successful starter elsewhere? Because they couldnt bare to part with a BU that most of you guys saying wont be cut, trash every time he takes the field. Give me a break.

Not to mention, Id bet the farm that Dobbs can give you what Landry does as a BU and more because of his athleticism.

Dobbs is cheaper and under contract longer.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

OMG we agree.........:dancing::dancing: :thumbs_up:

16. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    LJ is staying without a doubt.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    DHB is a Tomlin FAV. It takes a lot for a Tomlin FAV to get axed.

18. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
  19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

All the more reason the 2018 NFL Preseason cannot come soon enough.

Time to find out just how far Dobbs has come since last season. That will decide upon who stays and who goes.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We agree quite a bit, we just have spirited debates when we dont :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Wilcox
    Dobbs
    Dangerfield
    McCullers
    Fieler
    Hunter
    DHB (maybe)

22. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I posted a thread a little while ago basically saying this very topic. I didn't notice your thread here. Apologies to all for this. If the mods would like to merge mind into this one I'd be okay with it.

Cajun

• Like Like x 1
  23. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I am sorry I have to disagree as I sat here this morning and was watching an inch of snow fall.........I love football season but man I would love some spring and summer right now.....lol

24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    All gooder bud....great minds :thumbs_up:

25. LoneGranger

May 5, 2016
    So says Kevin WHO? Patra? Some zero with no rep. When game one of the 2018-19 season fires up remind of Mr. Patra brilliance ... not! :lolol: