1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is currently on the 2023 roster as the Starting Strong Safety?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Brice, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    "IF" Edmunds goes elsewhere who is currently listed as the Starting SS?

How big of a need is it for the Steelers in 2023?

Watching that Bills game this year without Edmunds, and Minka having to play at the line of scrimmage drove me nuts. I kept seeing passes being completed downfield and I knew if Edmunds was playing and Minka was sitting deep those passes would not have been completed.

Reading all these mock drafts and nobody is talking about the Steelers need for a Strong Safety, because everyone is assuming Edmunds will be back. But what happens if Edmunds doesn't some back?

• Like Like x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Because Kazee was hurt. The next time Edmunds didn't play We had one of our best Defense performances, or did You forget that.
    As for people not talking about it for drafting.....I guess You have been not reading anything I say. I've been saying the first 4 picks should be D ....one on each level...., but some are more worried about drafting another Wr that may, or may not see 6 plays a game. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Yeah, I know all about your perfect draft of a defensive player with every pick. :)

Kazee is 160 pounds soaking wet, so if he is playing then Minka is around the line of scrimmage playing Strong Safety.

You look at that Bills thread and you will see me going nuts on 3rd and long and there is Minka at the line of scrimmage playing Strong Safety.

Having Minka play SS is like asking Watt to play NT. They will probably both be successful because of the type of football player they are, but they will not be able to be the game changer they could be if they were playing their original positions.

I am assuming the Steelers would have hoped Karl Joseph would have played last year. I think he, like Edmunds, are currently free agents.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Kazee is very physical despite his size, but STD is right. They had a strong defensive performance later in the season without Edmunds because Kazee was there. That said, if they do lose Edmunds, they would have to add another safety whether they kept Kazee or not. They only have three guys who can even be competent as starters, so they can't lose two of them without bringing in more help.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I will be curious to see what kind of 40 time Jordan Battle and J.L. Skinner put up at the combine.

I don't know what the free agent market holds for Strong Safeties.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Quality depth on both offense and defense is very important
    Whether through the draft or Free Agency. We must have better
    Players roster wise than we have now. Steelers did try and I commend
    Them. We have to up grade roster talent if we are to compete
    With the heavy weights.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If Edmunds does indeed leave, I suspect Brian Branch would be very much in play. How much so would also depend on if the team jettisoned Kazee as well as he is also slated to be a Free Agent.

Brian Branch though would be a massive upgrade over both Edmunds and Kazee. Take everything you lobe about Minkah Fitzpatrick but add more violence to it. No seriously... Brian Branch is essentially Minkah but a Minkah who loves to initiate contact more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Ronnie Lott.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    ?! What about him?!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  10. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Edmunds is terrible. That’s part of our problem.

Edit: I hope Edmunds doesn’t come back. He’s literally awful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    elijah riley, miles killebrew, kenny robinson, scott nelson, tre norwood, minkah fitzpatrick, carlins platel are currently the safeties on the team. brian branch would be a nice addition to this group. riley and killebrew currently have 11 nfl starts between them. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Doesn't look like much help in Free Agency.
    Most are in that 27+ bracket.
    And the Steelers are not going to pursue Jesse Bates.
    So, the draft is a good place to find one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Shhhh you will get some noise from those who believe he is the glue that holds the secondary together :lolol:

He isn't terrible but just average, sometimes below.

I hope they bring Kazee back. They need to let Edmonds find go find another team. He will get offers.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

there are a lot of good corners and safeties in this draft. i'd still like to see more of elijah riley this year. i think this kid has some talent. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    What about Oline? I agree with you that defense needs to be addressed but if the right player at tackle or even guard is available, don’t you feel that needs to be addressed? I think Oline talent, not just hard working guys, is the only thing missing on offense.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm one of the few people on Here who think our LT is good, and getting better. Some blame things on him....that are actually a Young(rookie) Qbs fault. I could see a RG, and of course depth at all the OL positions.
    Remember people. This is only one year with this OL coach, and they definitely improved as the year went on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Did you mean LG, or are you trying to replace Daniels at RG?

I still want to see Chuks at LT next year. Hoping the Steelers get a Big pile pushing RT in the 2nd round, if none of the 1st round LTs are still on the board at 17.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Our RG was our best offensive lineman, so no thanks to making him the guy who gets replaced. I had hopes for Moore, but I just don’t see it after watching this season. Recall in another thread someone posted a stat that we were something like 1st or 2nd in the league in the number of times that eligible receivers provided help to our tackles in pass protection. Both of them are below average and very replaceable. Moore has more potential to improve at this point than Chuks, but I think it’s <50/50 that he ever turns into a quality LT. That said, I’d be fine with adding a LG and/or RT and rolling with the rest for another season if we beef up the defense in this draft.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    My bad both of You ....I meant LG. I was thinking about How I think our left Tackle Moore is good, and somehow said RG instead of LG. Again My bad, and I think everyone is way too hard on Moore.
    Also..... @Steel_Elvis.....I thought We were one of the teams that didn't help the OL the most....not the other way around. I'm looking for it now.

• Like Like x 1
  20. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Come on STD!!
    You need to be more Centered.
    Ah ohm

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1