1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is at Fault?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022

Yeh, to this day I'm not sure WHY Bill Cowher decided to undervalue the QB position. O'Donnell was an average, robotic bum, Korky Stewart was a pole-smoking WR who wouldn't accept his Slash role, and Maddox was a just a warm body with a social security number. Had Cowher chosen to get even a DECENT QB earlier, he could have filled the Trophy Case up like the Emperor did...he and Tomlin have both WASTED premium & championship talent, both for different reason. Somebody mentioned it earlier (and correctly), without #7, both of these coaches would be ringless. Both of these dudes, especially Tomlin, need to LINE UP and kiss Ben's ass when he goes into Canton in 4 years, that's for damn sure...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    And when was the last time we actually won a playoff game? When did we win a playoff game and surpassed the betting spread? It feels like its been 10+ years since we beat a team that was no push over in the playoffs.

4. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    And I hope we ALL share a legitimate concern that we may not have the best HC/OC/DC we can get due to Steelers trying to stick to the Rooney rule and not wanting to appear hypocritical. The Steelers may be the most limited team when it comes to hiring coaches. The field may be unnecessarily narrowed before the search starts.

I agree on Tomlin. He is not the worst coach in the NFL, obviously, but he is not close to the coach the media and pundits portray. He gets a lot of atta-boys just for staying around, continuity, steadiness. Well that is steadily leading this franchise down each and every year the past 10 years. We have been a joke in the playoffs when we made it. NO TEAM fears playing the Steelers, in fact I am sure they hoped to get that matchup and avoid Patriots or Ravens or other surprise teams.

Tomlin does not instill any semblance of discipline. No one is held accountable for failures...especially Tomlin himself.
    Tomlin has way too many empty cliches. The standard is NOT the standard and hasn't been for 10+ years now. It was hard-nosed, winning football, now its finesse, try-not-to-lose badly football.
    Tomlin is poor at clock management and challenges, compared to his peers. This has been clear for a while to all but the staunchest Tomlinites.
    Tomlin does get props for steady demeanor and, for the few times when NOT overreacting has been beneficial. Sadly, there are more times when Tomlin getting angry or blowing up would have been more helpful.

I am concerned that Tomlin will NEVER be fired, no matter how bad things get. He'll no longer be HC when he quits or retires. He could go 3-14, 2-15 and still only be on a lukewarm seat with ownership stating they are considering all options, but that Tomlin has their vote of confidence. Am I guessing at this, sure. I feel strongly that even with annual failure to meet even modest expectations (playoff wins cannot be expected now and not for many years), Tomlin has the longest coaching leash in the NFL. THATS NOT A GOOD THING and it surely is part of Rooney rule and Steelers worry of straying from that IF they need to. I am aware that they could have another black HC and he could be THE missing piece they've been needing for a decade. I just want ALL top candidates considered, not just minority ones.

I also want Tomlin fired when he should be fired. That time is fast approaching if it hasn't already passed.

At least we have a new GM that appears to be approaching things a bit more astutely than the declining Colbert did the past three or four years. Here is to hoping he sees the dire need of upgrading the trenches. I would be happy if they got a shutdown DB or one of the top 3-4 OLB pass rushers to bookend with Watt, but a franchise OT and C/G are musts in the off-season between drafts and FA.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is NOT going to be the subject of a new thread. Why? Because things got ugly here a few years back when players started kneeling. We’re not going back to that. Tread carefully around subjects like race, politics, etc.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    They went to the AFCCG in 2016 :facepalm:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Michel is on like his 3rd or 4th team, the Patriots made a mistake drafting him in the first round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Come on....wake up....You didn't know when a punter doesn't have a job in the NFL.....They push carts....Now every time a punt is shanked in the NFL a cart falls over in the street.....kind of the opposite of when a angel gets its wings. LoL

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    How did I know You would say this????:shrug:
    LoL

10. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    So........ Manziel and Tebow should be.......stocking shelves at the grocery?

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    There has been one constant.

Ten years gone. Zep magic. But not here.

If in so its just the GM or whatever you want to call him picking the players then how come then the constant doesn't go over and above to coach them up? Develop them? Giving them all the tools in the box? Holding on to them even when knowing they are not going to take that next step?

To be honest I never jumped for joy about this non losing season BS. Then when they actually have gotten to the playoffs they have gotten run over by a freight train.

Guess some bang their chests and gloat. Good for those who do.

This team is a dumpster fire and has been. A band aid by the name of Ben kept the noses above water.

Oh, and those who just want to bash other posters without a serious take about the team congratulations on all your success. Looking in a mirror, hitting the keys with one hand the other under the desk.

So losing is a good thing to make sure they can rebuild a roster of low quality players. Not tanking, they don't have to do that with what's going on. Hopefully Weidl can right this ship. I'm not sure that the constant is the right fit for this. Stale. Full of himself. Tape reel of BS. A large percentage of garbage coordinators. Underdeveloped players.

So, that's it. Hopefully the future brings a better team. It isn't this year or next.

12. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
  13. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Yes and got their asses handed to them again, employing the same game plan against Brady. And if I recall the game before is when Brown streamed the video of the locker room.

14. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Rooney/Tomlin/Ben

The drafting has been in decline since 2015 or 16 I wonder if Tomlin started having a bigger say in the draft choices. Way too many reaches and the plan seemed to go off the rails.

Back when Aaron Smith was getting older the Beard was ready to step in, when Snacks needed a breather Hoke was no slouch. The entire roster had depth and the next man up was possibly as good as the man in front of him not some practice squad scrub. Joey Porter James Harrison next up and on and on through out the roster.

As Pouncey was starting to get pushed around his last two years that's when they should of drafted a replacement.

The plan seems to be lost 1st round pick on a RB when they hadn't addressed the offensive line since DD was a rookie.

I mentioned Ben and let me explain He didn't exactly do us any favors with another 2 years for 68 mil . He was already a shell of what he once was but he handcuffed us right tight to the cap.

This rebuild should of started two years ago, now it might take a few years to rebound if they are very good and hit on the next two drafts by then TJ will be on the wrong side of 30 .

It just seems like there is no plan at all . Unless your incredibly lucky I don t think you can build a good enough offensive line without investing serious draft capitol to get one or two studs you can build around for the next ten years. Did they expect Pouncey and DeCastro to play for 15 yrs .

15. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    how’s that Ben’s fault? Wouldn’t the idiot who decided to give Ben $68M when Ben was a shell of himself be at fault?

in what world can anyone blame someone for taking home a pay check? In what world do u expect a player to give back $68M to a football team??

• Like Like x 1
  16. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013

17. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    It's simple.

We need better players, better coaches, and a better owner. Not necessarily different, but better.

18. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    More win and no more lose games.
    Pimp Dylan

• Like Like x 1
  19. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Whoever the idiot was that put us in cap hell went all in to keep Ben with the idea that he could get us back to the SB one last time. All the talk about Ben's window closing went on a few years too long. The ramifications of this are not only being felt now but will be for the foreseeable future. I also feel that the direction for doing this came from the top. JMO>