1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who is at Fault?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Very big!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    The Steelers, at the tip of the spear, have very much led the wokeness we see in the NFL today. And I have to believe it’s something they take pride in.

It’s a shame that the need for the rule even exists. Unfortunately in today’s world, the need is justified and warranted.

Hats off to the franchise for recognizing the disparity and affecting change.

I understand the Supreme Court is reconsidering it’s Affirmative Action stance. Is this at all relatable? Could a new judgement by the SC on AA impact the Rooney Rule in any way? It’s a serious question, though maybe not a good one for this thread. Maybe the topic deserves its own thread.

3. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Dan Colbert? Proof it really isn’t what you know!

Are there any more obvious signs of blatant nepotism from the Steelers, aside from the ownership?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

The Steelers have always been one of those organizations that players liked playing for.
    They've always been loyal to employees and such.
    Art Rooney was a super good dude... I miss him.
    I cannot support your point.
    It generally is a collective effort.

5. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I’m certain AR was a super good dude. I’m sure his son is as well.

I’ve always been told it’s who you know. And that’s rang true my entire life. Nepotism is a real thing and doesn’t belong in a highly competitive results oriented business.

The Rooney’s prioritize family over winning.

6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Not who you know but who you blow.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Problem the standard become lower and lower under Tomlin.Instead of wanting to build a team that can realistically compete for the super bowl, many were just happy to avoid losing seasons since at least 2018.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Ya, that’s not appropriate, but not wrong either

9. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    You are spot on about Nepotism, it is real, and I have experienced it many times.
    Dan has worked his way up, though we knew that, yes, he is the son...

Khan has promoted existing staffer Dan Colbert, the son of the former general manager. The younger Colbert had served as a veteran college and pro scout and will now be elevated to a senior-level position.

Can you name anything he's personally done bad? Or just lump the group all together?

For the record, I'm not exicted about thier draft habits. But I can't identify who had final say and/or who listed that punter.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I cannot. All anyone can do is look at past drafts to determine if a promotion was warranted.

Funny the guy who replaced his pops promoted his kid.

Won’t be long and Dino Tomlin will be hired as the new WR Coach.

11. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    IMO this is fire worthy. Completely mismanaged the roster. Colbert walks away leaving the team in a lurch. Just as well, he too was overrated.
    What a disaster he left the team in. I’m sure he’ll be a Hall of Honor award recipient. SMH.

12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Well, to each his own, I guess.
    There was a spot open, they felt he earned it.
    But the drafts do need improvement, that's the only part I can agree with. They do have a bunch of scouts that report up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Keep your racism off this board

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Good list of talent recognition/ acquisition personnel. And here I was thinking that coaches got involved with this as well. JMO>

15. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    You are correct sir.
    But these guys work it all season. The Coaches only engage so much during the season.
    And that the trade deadline has passed, they probably will only focus on the team until season's end.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Was it coincidence that KC left as soon as Ben did? I think he knew what was holding the team together and when Ben was heading out the door, he made plans to do likewise. JMO>

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That and he was retirement age with kids and grandkids

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Is this a serious post?
    Yup, KC knew all along. He’s a very smart dude.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Steelers4tim

Steelers4tim Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2022

Awesome post, and dead on accurate. Tomlin is an AVERAGE coach, nothing more, nothing less. He will continue to cash paychecks until Artie II stops him. Our "Owner" has a job because of his Grandpa, and he owes it to the The Chief to build a dynasty, and that all starts with finding a GREAT head coach. Not an average coach, a cheesy coach, a dumbass coach, a "just get by" coach, a "going thru the motions" coach , a JV coach, a secondary coach, a political coach, a "cash the paycheck" only coach, an "in the end, we're all winners" coach, etc., etc., etc.

This is Pittsburgh's team! Find the best coach in the world to roam our sidelines. Find the next young Emperor...borderline genius, young, talented, hard-nosed, DISCIPLINED, and fully capable of building our next dynasty. That guy is out there, but you can't find him when Mike freakin' Tomlin is still on the sidelines, IMHO.

#firetomlin

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dusty1

Dusty1 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I agree with all of this.

To be fair, Cowher was a disciplinarian HC, and he only won 1 SB after all those years. And that wasn’t until he was forced to draft Ben.

It seems Ben is directly responsible for two HCs going to the HoF.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. BAMASteeler

BAMASteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2022
    That's not racism at all... Lol

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

But under Cowher,the steelers did compete more often in the super bowl with or without Ben.6 AFC title game in 15 years for Cowher,twice with 3 different QB and with Ben the steelers were 15-1 in 2004 and won the SB in 2005

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    It's not racism dummy, it's an opinion that I think they are hesitant to fire him due to his race. That's not a racist statement. Do you understand the difference? I think the Rooney's more than any other owner want to expand black coach representation in the league. I don't care if the next coach is black, indian, asian, white, etc I just think we need a new coach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Agreed, Cowher was infected by Marty Ball and his inability to adjust at half time is legendary (hence his record in AFC Champsionship Games) but his team wasn't undisciplined. I will give him credit for that. Cowher didn't even want Ben if I recall.

25. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Yep. Cowher's AFC title games: O'Donnell in '94 & '95, Stewart in '97 and '01, Roethlisberger in '04 and '05.

Tomlin.... Roethlisberger in '08, '10 and '16. So basically... Tomlin has achieved half of what Cowher did with a HOF QB. And Cowher had lesser QBs for most of his reign.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1