1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who here is buying Dupree?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jan 22, 2020.

1. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Because when you have good players like Watt and Minkah you want them locked up. You think because Ben and MP will be gone that will cure everything? There will be guys stepping up to take that money, just like I pointed out if you sign Bud like you say he will be even higher in 3 years 20+ mil. Add to what Watt is gonna make now what, that will eat into what we saved from Ben and MP. I get what you are saying but we will still have to pay guys to take their spot and with paying Watt and Bud just to name a few you will eat into that in a hurry.

2. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    The signing bonus will get spread out over the contract including the 1st year. so if you get 20 mil for 4 years each year you add 5 mil to the salary. You can't adjust the signing bonus by year the way I understand it.

3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    And the salary cap will keep going up too, Ben and Pouncey leaving will clear about 45 million, they will have enough money to pay Watt and Minkah when the time comes.

4. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

And who replaces Ben and MP...........I am not saying we will not save money but if Bud counts 20-21 and Watt gets more now where are we at?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Better yet, try actually responding to what I post rather than making things up. I'm not trying to get anybody banned. I'm having a conversation and speaking up with somebody posts something that is factually wrong. If you don't like my post, go after what I wrote, not me. Misrepresenting what other people post, as you did, is rude. Attacking the poster instead of the content of the post is rude. Please don't do those things in the future.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is why you franchise Dupree. Who here is advocating signing him long term?

You are worried about who replaces Roethlisberger and Pouncey, and rightfully so, but ignoring the challenge of replacing Dupree.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I think a long term contract is the Steelers angle. Tagging is the 2nd option & letting him walk is their last resort. Just my screwed up opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Good “ research “ on all the different deals. Like we said...there will be options . It’s a matter of identifying the right one. Just like Steven Nelson last year. Many weren’t too confident in the signing and he was considered a 2nd tier option. It wouldn’t be the first time we were picking from 2nd tier guys. We are always up against the cap and those guys are where we make our living. We’ve struck gold on many occasions picking up guys that weren’t considered great. So I don’t get all the doomsday prophecies and scenarios all working against us. There’s a likelihood we can pick the right guy again. We’ve done it before. Again for hopefully the last time...If money is no object then sign Dupree but everything points to losing other valuable pieces as well. Is that not a concern at all? If we end up losing Finney,Feiler and Hilton was it a no brainer? Hilton is a big part of a improved secondary that has allowed our OLBs to be more effective. Losing coverage on the back end doesn’t help sack production.

Considering we aren’t going to be big players in the FA market regardless you also have to factor in the comp pick we would be getting in return for Dupree(3rd round). That’s not chicken feed either. The way “I” look at it is you are essentially renting Dupree on a 1 year deal at the expense of other pieces you could potentially lock up for 3 years. We don’t know the prognosis on Ben’s elbow and won’t know until we have to already make a decision on Dupree. So let’s say Ben doesn’t make it back. We wasted 17 mil on a rental, hurt other areas of the team and lose out on a draft pick.
    For what? Another season with a young QB who almost everyone wants to run out of town already? If Ben does come back healthy and effective doesn’t he alone elevate other areas to where we don’t need the D to be as good? Tuitt back. Bush makes a jump. Minkah for a full season. There’s already built in potential of the defense getting better even without Dupree. Ben and a better offense also makes the D better by default. Losing Finney, Feiler ,McDonald hurts the offense as well.

Most of my negativity on signing Dupree is based on all the uncertainty with Ben. IMO we’re simply not winning a SB without Ben being back and playing at a high level. IMO we are throwing away 17mil and some pieces that could contribute beyond just next year and a comp pick to help build a better team for 1 miracle season...that’s just me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

[​IMG]

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

And this is why you are clueless me and Steel6 are having a conversation about signing Bud long term not tagging him......carry on!!!!!

11. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

Thanks man there are options but if we choose to sign Bud or tag him that is fine not what I prefer but I get what Colbert and Tomlin want to do. I agree totally with what you are saying for sure man.

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Watt will get 100 plus. How do you even think about signing Dupree long term? Impossible. And with all that cap space :eek: And do you think Dupree will take less or a team friendly deal? :lolol: His agent is already thinking about cashing in people. Let him go elsewhere and disappear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    So much for you being done, but thank you for proving my point with yet another personal attack. You do this and call other posters rude? That's funny.

The Steelers could go long term because that seems to be their preference on other contracts, but I hadn't seen much support for the idea here.

14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

What is wrong with you where is the personal attack please stop with these statements.....please! Calling you clueless is not a personal attack it is fact, 6 and I were talking back and forth about the option of signing Bud long term not tagging him. If you want to talk about tagging him fine but that was not the conversation I was having with SR6. You are bringing in another option to a discussion that wasn't being talked about, imo that makes you clueless in the post you quoted me on........carry on!

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not real big on this one magical season thing. Ben stinks after not practicing for a day or two during the week in season, now it's been a year. Keeping Pounce y because Ben wants him and tagging dupree are huge mistakes for the future of this team. Losing so many guys for a one year run really puts this team in a bad place going forward. Ben has hardly played with Washington and johnson and not at all with cain. Losing hilton, finney, hargraves, feiler, barron, vannett, foster, chickillo, banner and maybe mcdonald to keep dupree , 3/4 of Ben and pouncey really is a mistake. I hope they don't go this route. JMO.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Calling someone clueless is absolutely a personal attack, one that is unwarranted.

I didn't ask who was discussing signing him long term. I was asking who was advocating for it. Do you understand the difference?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

upload_2020-2-4_9-46-7.jpeg

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They have no choice about keeping Roethlisberger. They are locked into him taking up a huge part of their cap for 2020, whether it is dead money or paying him to play.

I'm not sure about Pouncey's situation. I assume there is a dead money cap hit if they cut him, too.

The variable is Dupree. From what I've read, you are overestimating what they would lose to keep him. Of course, you don't lose all of those guys to keep one player, but that isn't the option on the table.

19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    That’s part of what I’ve been saying all along. You are potentially mortgaging the future for a 1 year long shot. It’s a long shot every year but even more so when you have no idea on the health of your QB. Question is would people be so gung ho on signing Dupree if we knew Ben wasn’t available? I’m thinking,no. Like you said miracle season that would become even more miraculous if we lose pieces to sign Dupree. I think Barron,Foster,Chickillo are locks to be cut. Hargrave walks for a better deal. The rest I’m not sure of because there are tenders involved. There is the potential of losing Finney,Feiler,Hilton and McDonald though and I’m not sure how comfortable I am with losing even 3/4 of them. Football is the ultimate team sport and you don’t compromise other positions for 1 guy. Pouncey isn’t going anywhere IMO and even though he struggled last year he’s still our best Center. Finney must be kept because he’s our back up and also a swing Guard. If something were to happen to Pouncey you would be putting a lot of faith in someone else to step in there. The QB/C dynamic is important. A bad Center can ruin everything. Which I’m sure you already know...

• Like Like x 1
  20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm not talking about cutting Ben but the part about a one year miracle with him is not adding up from past experience. What if it take two years? We Still lose dupree and many others in the process.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think he is getting better also. But he is the cart & we need to give Watt, the horse, the franchise $$$. Don't overpay him to fill a leak that can be plugged much cheaper.

22. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Probably be franchising Rudolph here in a few years. :roflmao:. Kinda like franchising Bud to take over for an old Harrison.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If they lose all of those guys, it isn't just about Dupree.

To answer your question, which is a good one, if we knew Roethlisberger wasn't going to play in 2020, I would not franchise Dupree. I'm going on the information we have, which is that he will play. I'm also assuming the team has a much better idea about that than we do and I hope they wouldn't tag Dupree for another lost season.The entire point of paying him for just one season is thinking they can make a run in 2020.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    If Rudolph has a season comparable to what Dupree did in 2019, that would get very expensive for the Steelers.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    As I just posted, the team should have a much better idea than we do if Roethlisberger can play in 2020. That should be part of their decision to make moves to go for it now or not. Tagging Dupree would be one of those decisions.