1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who gets an extension before the season starts?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 22, 2024.

1. Freiermuth

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. Tomlin

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  3. Najee

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. Fields

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. Daniels

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I say at least two of them gets an extension.

2. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm thinking all, but Najee and Daniels.

3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    just Pat and Mike

4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Freiermuth and Tomlin are the only ones I think even have a chance. We will see what Fields has before giving him money and we will probably just wait with Daniels. See what the market is or see if McCormick can replace him. There is 0 reason to extend Najee unless he is willing to take a very team friendly deal. Just doesn't make sense.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    If they were serious about keeping Harris, they would have exercised his fifth-year option. They might offer him an extension, but it would be for significantly less per year than what the option would have paid him.

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I think Fields gets something done, but it won't be a long term deal. I would think a year or two at back up money, but gives him opportunity to prove something and get the money extension.

8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure he would give up free agency next offseason for that.

9. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Statistically, fields does not have a great record. If he ends up being the backup for Wilson, he's not going to get a chance to improve those statistics. So I think his free agency appeal is going to be on the lower end unless Wilson is injured and Fields goes out there and tears things up. That might entice him into accepting a deal that's only decent instead of stellar.

But based on his past statistics, would we want to give him a deal? He is in that difficult position of being too good to just be a backup but not quite good enough to be a franchise quarterback.

10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I never even wanted him on the roster. Maybe the lousy trade value the Bears got humbled him enough, but I doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    That's the pickle the team finds itself in, if Russ has a somewhat decent year do you overpay an aging QB who could fall off the cliff very quickly, do you off Fields a contract with a resume that stinks, definite talent, but how far do you dig to see if indeed the miscues in Chicago are fixable.

12. pastorbob

pastorbob Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    9 votes to extend tomlin ,why do you hate the Steelers so much?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Before. Freiermuth Tomlin Najee

After: Fields. If Fields is the Steelers Starting QB at the Bye Week, I look for the Steelers to lock him down at Week 9. I would think the Steelers would offer an Extension to whatever QB is the Starter coming out of the Bye week.

14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i would add - BTW - don't give TOO many extensions.

this team needs to hold its cash. not many are worth lots of $$ right now. not many at all, as far as i see it.

win a playoff game, SHINE above the crowd - THEN you will get paid.

see ya, DJ!

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That's one of the reasons I didn't like what they did at quarterback this offseason. They probably would have been better off signing Rudolph and keeping Pickett, but the siren song of the mobile quarterback was too much for them to resist.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That sort of thinking is how you end up with gaping holes in your roster.

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

I said not 'too many'

we have a young roster, with many on first contracts

please, read and respond accordingly.

if Tomlin is on his way out soon, then why have a roster with lengthy contracts and new management coming in?

#trust-me

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I did read and respond accordingly. Deciding to keep players or let them go based on whether or not the team won a playoff game is foolish. Also, there is little evidence that Tomlin is going anywhere, so basing a strategy on his departure makes no sense.

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    What does this mean.... see ya, DJ!

Do you think we have actually successfully replaced DJ on the roster? Currently all the DJ replacements being thrown around are all wanting to leave their current team because they want $30 million contracts.

20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

no, I don't.

But they are managing budgets. They are not 100% sure where they want their tens of millions of dollars in spend to go.

I for one, did not want it to go to DJ.

We will have our $30M guy after this year, provided his head stays on straight

Can pay everyone, DJ was and was going to be, a pain in the ASS

21. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I guess things could change, but the steelers generally do not offer/negotiate contracts after the start of the season. I have no idea if they offer Fields a type of deal that GB gave Love when they declined his option, different scenario, but Fields getting any decent offer he would be foolish not to sign on. If he is a back up he is not going to command a lot in the FA market, he is young enough to put in some prove it time and get a chance for some big bucks.

I have no idea what ego role will play in Wilson should he have a good year. If he demands top dollar, let him walk, but a deal some where between what Baker and Kirk got could be enticing for both sides. It's manageable, allows the team to continue to build, and you can get out of it pretty quickly if his play goes south.

22. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    There was some talk on radio about this. Right now WR is the hot topic and (at least in conversation) the highest paid after QB. Like QB, not all of these guys are worth that, and unlike QB's, more WR come out of college making an immediate impact. There are guys who definitely make a difference and you just cannot find an equal in the draft, those guys can help a young QB, but if you keep feeding the pool of talent, you can find and generate a winning O. I'm not saying that is THE WAY, it's a way to still be competitive and build your team. If GP has a stand alone year, remember it's no longer 30, but 35 and that number will continue to go up.

23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

It will - GP may be a beast - if his head is right, he will get a nice contract.

Wilson will be the #2 this year - in the NEW NFL, young players have to perform.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    upload_2024-6-3_18-22-52.gif

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  26. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Cam Heward currently holding out for a new extension? No one thinks he will get one?