1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who ever RB we select,must be ready from the get go.

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Wardismvp, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Unless the Steelers suprise us all and keep
    Mendy, I look for a RB in the 4th round.
    That being said, for the Steelers to be competitive
    offensively this selection has to be ultra productive
    and ready to go. There will be no learning curve affordable
    for a RB. There is more to being a rb than running,
    I hope the Steelers pick a good one, it is much needed.

2. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Stepfon Taylor in the 4th. He's polished and a 3 down back, IMO. I think he fits very well into the zone scheme that the Steelers will be running. He's patient with good cut-back ability and finishes runs with physicality.

3. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I like Taylor too, but I think he goes in the 3rd. The 3rd round seems like the best spot to grab a RB to me, unless Lacy or Bernard is there in the 2nd.

But why do you say he'll need to be ready day 1? I think Dwyer will be retained and will definitely be the day 1 starter, and a rookie will be worked into the lineup as needed. He doesn't exactly fit our scheme but he'll be a good temporary solution.

4. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Sorry, gotta be a homer. Any team that passes on Marcus Lattimore is going to regret it. I see him going just a few picks before the Steelers in different mock drafts in rounds 4-5, and I just cringe thinking about a team selecting him just before we are able to. While he may need a year to fully rehab & get past the learning curve, it is an investment that some team is going to hit a huge jackpot with!

5. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Im ok with lattimore too he was the man at USCjr

6. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Lattimore very will could be a Steeler. Wouldn't shock me if the Steelers would actually draft two RB's in the draft. I would say one in round 2-3 and another in maybe in the 6-7th.

Eddie Lacy is really growing on me, but the some of the Bama backs bother me because they usually play behind the best line in the NCAA.

Don't count out Dwyer yet, he can still carry the load, but he seems to have durability and stamina issues.

7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If we are truly changing to a primarily zone blocking scheme, then we will be looking for different types of RBs than we are used to seeing on our roster. The key traits we are looking for will no longer be bruising size and power, they will be decisiveness, vision and cutback ability. In the ZBS, you want guys who will quickly identify the best of 2 or 3 lanes, 1-2 of which are typically cutback lanes, and then hit that lane fast. Big backs who typically blast straight into one designed hole and dancers don't do as well in a ZBS. I've just started looking at RBs, so I haven't figured out which ones fit the ZBS, but going by games I watched in the fall/bowl season, I think that Lacy doesn't. He's more the kind of back that fits our current/old power scheme.

Just curious if anyone has seen confirmation that we will be changing schemes - other than speculation based on our new O Line coach.

8. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Gonna retract a bit on my Lacy comments. I just took the time to watch some film on Lacy, and he does well running the inside zone. he is not as quick cutting as an ideal zone back, but he is very decisive. I guess the question in my mind would be - will he be that decisive when the running lanes don't look as wide open to him, as will be the case in the NFL? I still his his primary strength is power, and think he will be better in a power scheme, but I think he can play in a ZBS well. I will say that I suspect that there are guys available in R3+ who would be as effective in a ZBS by being quicker cutters, so I still don't like the thought of taking Lacy high in the draft. I don't yet know who those guys are, but I'll be watching a lot in the next few weeks.

9. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I think that it's largely based on speculation but not without some merit. An OL coach generally takes his scheme with him and we do seem to be targeting OL players with agility. At least that's the rumor. I'd love the pick of Stepfon Taylor if this is the case.

10. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I like Knile Davis from Arkansas, he's big and fast. I would also take Lattimore, I think he can return like A.P.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there are alot of good guys that would work well in this zbs. oregon runs the oregon zone it's called, so barner is a canidate. ( remember MT and chip kelly talked on the sidelines a whole practice at the sr. bowl it was reported) it could be about a number of guys or maybe about grilling chicken, who knows? there was a point made about how long these two talked off to one side during most of the practice though.

if i was a bettin man, i'd say MT was digging for some info on someone or something they have or do. at least that's what i'm going to hope it was about.

barner though not real big, is far from a chris rainey. he's built different and was used differently then rainey.

long is a T sized player that was used at guard at oregon. he's pretty green and only started one year, but knows the ZBS well.

alonso is an ILB that's ranked around the 3rd rd., he was a pretty active player for them and has coverage skills. also a little green.

they have the other ILB clay that is a short in stature , but i have been seeing they have been looking at these size guys so far. 5-11 guys. we brought in rolle(5-11 240) the kid from UAB they were looking at the other day barrington i think(5-11 230). we drafted spence last year(5-11 235). they were at kent states pro day looking at winters and their LG, but also there is an all MAC ilb batton i believe it is and guess what? (5-11 230). maybe this is by design but maybe not. it sure seems like a trend though. maybe DLB had plans for a spence type player it seems.

they also have a safety at oregon in the mid to late rds. i don't know much about him.

might be all coincidence.

sorry, back to the RB's. gillisee i didn't like at first, but the more i watched the more i like him. they have shown some interest in him too. he's got that ZBS skillset.

i wouldn't rule out le'veon bell just yet. he's pretty good at the one cut style. he's dropped a few lbs. and got quicker.

andre ellington from clemson is one that's a little under disscussed. he's got that style too.

michael has these attributes with size and speed.

stacy from vandy is a great rb for this system. he's a later rd. gem for the ZBS.

i wouldn't rule out batch being re-signed either and i think he'll do pretty well in that scheme. nobody talks about him anymore. another year removed from that knee injury, should help him.

ford from LSU is a decent back.

the kid from cinci is a good canidate for the system.

there are guys out there and depth out there even after this draft that will be able to run behind this type of blocking scheme. i expect them to bring in several UDFA's to use as depth this year. our stable is bare for now. just last year we looked loaded for bear at the position. clay,redman,dwyer,batch,mendy,rainey, wow what a difference a year makes. they have to get at least one in the draft and one after the draft i would say.:cool:

12. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't think there is any way we take a RB at 17. We may trade back in the first and pick up additional picks and then grab somebody like Eddie Lacy. I like Lattimore and would be receptive to taking a flier on him late, even if we've drafted a RB in the earlier rounds.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am warming up to taylor,I am not overly impressed with Dwyer,,
    I hate the tapping out that he does. I am not so sure the Steelers will even keep him
    I would prefer a back that can take it to the house,we don't have one on the roster besides Mendy.

14. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I expect us to look for someone like Jamaal Charles. Maybe an underage guy who if he had gone back for another year might be a higher ranked talent and someone who played against a high level of competition.

15. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I do expect that Haley wants his own guy.

He's drafted JJ Arrington, Jamaal Charles, Dexter McCluster, and Chris Rainey. He obviously likes speed.

16. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    I hate the idea, I'm not saying you are but it reads as such, of a "scat back" or a 3rd down guy as the feature. Zone blocking does not need speed it needs vision, that's it. A running game, as all steeler fans know by way of Jerome, can be successful without the 30 40 yard run.

Zone blockin needs a guy that sees the hole and hits it hard for 4 to 6. That's it's purpose. Power run style creates an over pursue from the defense stuffing. Zone creates a lane were positive yards are gained.

If we draft running back there is not any, I haven't look outside of lacy and gillisee because people have seen them coming out way, that I want so far. So more prodding is needed but we need a guy that is " looking at the butts of the OLine" to see where to go.

From
    The Steel City

17. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I have a sure-fire feeling that you're thinking of someone else. Stepfon Taylor has been the Stanford Cardinal "workhorse". He's 5'9 216 lbs and runs with authority. He has excellent vision, good cutback ability and balance. He ran an official 4.58, hardly a scatback.

18. SSylvester

SSylvester Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Please let this happen! :praying:

19. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I think Mac's guy, Barner, is growing on me for our new system. He cuts fast and decisively, and when he gets the the 2nd level he has the speed that Haley likes. Because he's not the stoutest back out there, I wouldn't want to give him the ball 25 times per game, but I like him as a potential #1 back in a rotation.

20. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Maybe I'm just looking for tto much out of a later rounder but vision is key is zone blocking. Alfred morris was a 6th? Rounder I believe. He had 1100 yards or so 1 cut and go. I want a guy that runs in the hole like he owns it then makes a cut right about 2 yards beyond the LOS and gets 5. That's zone blocking.

I will say I love Taylor's dimensions though 5'9 awesome 215 even better. That's ideal RB size to me.

21. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Besides Lacy early I really dont see a need to draft a back early. They could always wait and get a good value on T A&M Christine Micheal, LSU Micheal Ford, Vand Zac Stacy, or Purdues Akeem Shavers.

(I saw a couple times that Shavers guy play some football. He can catch, run, cuts full speed- just played on crap team - I think about the 7th I would get him, say goodbye to Batch. I was kind of pissed he wasnt invited to combine, ANYONE KNOW WHEN PURDUE PRO DAY IS?)

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    58,i thought taylor ran a 4.76? and ray graham really ran a slow time. i like him too though. i'm sure they have seen plenty of him.:cool:

23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I wouldn't touch Lattimore with a 10 foot pole with those injuries he has had.

24. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, you're right mac but I still stand by my assessment. Terrel Davis ran a 4.7, Arian Foster ran a 4.68 and Alfred Morris ran a 4.63 that's 3 pretty good backs in the zone scheme. I'll bet you a bag o' doughnuts Taylor turns out to be a player. We all know different team's have different times. He fits the zone scheme.

25. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I don't follow this to close but any chance ford from Texas will be there in the 4th I think he could be a impact player.