1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who else starts?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Roonatic, May 5, 2020.

1. A) Washington

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. B) Claypool

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. C) Watt

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  4. D) Ebron

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  5. E) Snell

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. F) Cain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. G) Switzer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm thinking Watt. Kid's rolling in the dough for a fb.

2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They have a nice group there imo. I didn’t vote because I think they will mix it up quite a bit, I expect Watt to be in the field quite a bit on early downs.

I think the big question is who is on the field when they are in the redzone. That means a lot more than ‘starts’ for me.

Redzone offence for me

Conner
    Juju
    Vance
    Johnson
    Claypool / Ebron

James Washington might find he is the odd man out at times this year which is a pity because I think he is poised for a big year of he gets the opportunity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Nice problem to have...To many weapons

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I also think it is going to change from week to week and series to series. My guess and hope is that most of those snaps will go to Claypool, Ebron and Watt. I think Claypool and Ebron both provide more upside than Washington due to the size mismatches they create. Watt can have the greatest impact on the running game while still being a threat to catch the occasional pass.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    All of the above minus switzer. Depending on the matchups.:cool:

6. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    For the receiving game I think Ebron over McDonald.

We just made Watt the 2nd highest paid FB in football; I would take him over Connor in Passing downs as the single back.

For the 5 WR sets that Ben like to run; DJ, JuJu, Wahington, Claypool and Cain.

I do not see Switzer making the team at all this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I picked Washington, till Claypool gets his feet wet. Then Claypool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ditto above. Washington game 1. Claypool game 16. Gradual progression in between.

If it’s not Claypool eventually, then he was a waste of a draft pick.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    They’ll all get on the field, all about packages now.

They have about 350 snaps to take from Cain and Holton. They will probably be cut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't see why you would want Watt on the field over Conner on passing downs. The guy has 10 career receptions in four seasons. Conner caught 34 in just 10 games last season. He is a good pass blocker and a far better weapon as a runner and receiver. The only argument for Watt in those situations is a desire to limit Conner's snaps.

I agree that Switzer shouldn't make the team. They now have five receivers who are better and he shouldn't be returning punts over Johnson.

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  12. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Is Holton even on the team? Unless some rook has a tremendous camp, or Cain just flat out sucks I think he makes the 5 position. Not a lot of pro experience, but from what there is appears to be decent enough to be counted on for that. Of course it also depends on how they move forward with whyte on KO's and DJ as PR, there might be someone emerge that steals the spotlight enough to garner that spot.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    If Holton was let go, I missed it. Cain does offer something to the team, maybe they cut Switzer instead but I didn’t consider him because he really wasn’t getting any snaps outside of ST. Cain got most of those snap I refereed too.

14. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    I think they use Watt as pass protection out of the backfield more than he goes out on a route. Knock someone off balance before looking for the dump-off...Switzers replacement on the 1 yard curl.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  15. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I’m almost sure they already cut Holton but if they haven’t it’s a matter of time

16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    In all of Mike Tomlins head coaching career I have only seen him truly game plan for an opponent using player match ups just once. I don't see him playing match ups all of a sudden in 2020.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    He (Holton) is not on the 90 man roster.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Concur with jeh and Blast. Chase Claypool is the wildcard here. James likely starts this proverbial race but Chase could end it. All depends on how well Chase adapts to the NFL Level.

19. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    If we're actually smart enough to use the TE this season, I think Ebron could get a lot of looks, especially since I doubt Pouncey got younger. Our O weapons look good. Praying for the OL to hold up.

20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I will add to this, because of the lack of true OTAs etc., Claypool’s progress will be slower than what you would expect from a normal rookie year.

All rookies of course.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm game matchups. Personnel wise, it's done all the time. It's why AB and juju were in and out of the slot, bell was split out, samuels was used out of the backfield and sometimes split out. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  22. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Roonatic.

I am just looking at this list and thinking about our overall starting units on O" and "D". Man, on paper, we are looking very, very good. This is not new too me as I have stated this numerous times over the past few months. The "D" will pick-up where they left off and only be better with Minkah as the "Catalyst". He has very "Troy-Like" potential to be utilized with that kind of diversification. He really can be used in so many different ways. It is IMPERATIVE that our D-Coordinator take advantage of this once in a Blue Moon type player that he has at his disposal. The Defense should center around him and his strengths. He is the nucleus here. All other moving parts on this Defense need to center around him and what he brings to the table. For me, he is the closest player to Troy that I have seen since his retirement. Not just from a Steeler standpoint but league-wise as well.

The Defense still can improve in two more obvious ways IMO. A "True" NT. Again, Casey 2.0. I will not go down the laundry list of benefits if we were to obtain such a player. And no, to Big Dan on that. The only thing I would say about that prototype is what I said before but the short version. He will be a chaotic and disruptive force. Clog the middle and shut down the run game. The only difference now, and a good difference, is that unlike the "Casey Era" we now have the secondary or at least 3/4 of it complete to handle any passing attack. Haden, Nelson and Minkah are great. Shut-Down Great!

Now Edmunds, the other 1/4 of the Secondary, has to get it together. Even a little better makes us that much better. Nonetheless, for a 1st Rounder he has performed well below the bar IMO. He still has time to get it together but the "Sands of Time" are running out. It is starting to look like a re-run of the Dupree movie. Not good. I am rooting for him big time so let's get it together young man. We need you! So, an upgrade at NT, and a better Edmunds, and we are the best Defense in the league hands-down. I think even without those upgrades/improvements we are the best. Still, there is always room for improvement.

As far as the Offense, it is simple.... stay healthy. Only during a few games last year was the starting "O" on the field for a complete game. That is it. We have the weapons and added some other pieces. Vance and Ebron are going to be a marquee showing of Bookends at the TE position. I am pumped about this duo! The starting three receivers from last season, plus Claypool, are going to be lights-out! I am cautiously optimistic that Conner will be healthier and I like each of the skill-sets that the other RBs have except for Edmunds, who IMO brings nothing to the table. This is where we see our RB draft pick step-up and fit-in. The O-Line should return to form. I really am not too worried about them.

Now, Drumroll. Elephant in the room alert! All is for not without Ben. With Ben we are Super-Bowl conversation material. No Ben, and it is going to be, in all likelihood, a rerun of last season's movie. It is that simple folks. I am a Steelers fan. However, I am realistic on this point. Mason and Duck, in all probability if needed, are not going to get the job done. I am down with them as long as they sport the Black and Gold. However, they just are not there yet and we do not have the time to wait to see if it will ever come to fruition. So, I will have to have the same confidence that Ben and Mr. Rooney have stated in the media regarding Ben's return. Ben stated that he wanted to exceed Bradshaw's Super Bowl win record, I believe. Well, he has a way to go and time is running out. Let's do it Ben!

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

23. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I voted EE but I hope like heck it will be Washington. I just find it hard to believe we added him as our "big" move this off season to not be involved big time. I know one thing if they play their cards right they could have guys open every single game. On any given week any of Juju. DJ, JW, Vance and EE could carry the team so picking someone to double will only help the others. Oh and then there is Claypool who as the year goes on will see more time and Conner. Almost forgot let's not forget Mr. HR hitter McFarland.............

• Like Like x 1
  24. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Snell has a fb now also. In case Ben isn't ready, we should lean on him more.

• Like Like x 1
  25. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I am a Snell fan I hope to see what he can do with a real QB back there now. So many want to point out his speed I think that is overrated. jmo