1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who do you want as the new OC?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Todd Haley

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hue Jackson

22.5%
  3. Randy Fichtner

40.0%
  4. Sean Kugler

30.0%
  5. Other (in NFL)

2.5%
  6. Other (in college)

5.0%
  1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Not necessarily who you think it will be but who do you want?

2. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I read an article today speculating if they're still holding out for Kirby Wilson, so I guess that could be an "other" option too.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    GOD love him, but this poor man has so much to deal with, i can't see him pouring all his abilities into the offense and this team anywhere in the near future. we need a guy that can show ben the magic of not having to have your whole game on a highlight reel. using what's available to you and winning, and then the accolades will come with it. he will have to show him , for ben to buy into it. i just like the fact that fichtner isn't afraid to make adjustments and not keep beating a dead horse. randy seems to be able to make it work with what he has to work with. i believe ha can make ben buy into it. he wasen't able to do that with BA here. they had their own thing going. i think it's alot of the reason anderson left.

it seems like the kid whose dad owns the toy store and the kid plays with the toys all year , so they are not quite as exciting come Christmas morning when he opens them as a present. fichtner owns the other toy store down the road that has alot of the same toys but he also has the new ones that the kid hasen't seen yet. now he can be excited again when shown the present. :cool:

4. MikeFanForLife

MikeFanForLife Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    nice way to put it.

5. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    My only problem fichtner is there is the possibility of him having the same toys just marketing them different

6. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes. We need new toys. Like a full back and a 6' 6" tight end with hands. And 2 new OG's that block. And a copy of Sean Payton's playbook.

7. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The funny thing is, we have the personnel to run the Saints offence. Mendy can be our Sproles. He proved in College that he's deadly in the passing game. Redman is our Mark Ingram. We have Brown, Sanders and Wallace to mimic Colston, Lance Moore and Henderson. Heath and Sanders may not be at Jimmy Graham's level, but they can definitely get it done. This offence has the players to be to absolutely unstoppable, if only we would use them properly. That's why I don't want Fichtner, I think his system will be very similar to BA's, which didn't use our players properly. We need a new system that focuses on everyone being heavily involved in the passing game, and both Mendy and Redman running the ball.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    it's just a matter of showing ben he can build something more then a high flying jet with his lego blocks. :cool:

9. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Except the Saints have one of the best OL's in the NFL.

10. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Our Oline isn't as bad as it looks. The offence we ran made it look worse than it was and Ben holding the ball made it seem worse than it is. Nothing slows down a pass rush like a good screen to the RB, or checking down to the RB when pressured, or numerous short throws to the TE's/slot receiver. People always forget that momentum is a huge factor in pass rushing. When you shut down a pass rush early, you tire out the defenders and you can impose your will later in the game. It's the same principle that applies to the running game. Even when you're getting 2-3 YPC early in the game, if you keep pounding the ball, in the 3rd and 4th quarters all of a sudden you're looking at 4-6 YPC. We were the masters of that with Bettis. He didn't always get big gains early on, but tiring out the defenders made us that much more successful later on.

The same applies to slowing the pass rush. Use screens, draws and short passes early on to slow the pass rush and tire out the defenders, then as the game progresses, there suddenly is no more pass rush and you can run any play you want.

Our problem was we didn't run the type of plays needed to slow the pass rush, and Ben held the ball too long. Any pass rusher in the NFL will admit that if you get to the QB early, it seems easy to keep doing it, but when you can't get those early hits/sacks, you subconsciously become mentally drained and defeated and have a hard time getting anywhere near the QB later in the game.

With a good game plan, we can have an effective Oline. I do agree though that it is our weak spot, but scheming can help cover up weaknesses, we just need an OC that understands game planning based on strengths and weaknesses, not just strengths.

GB actually had a pretty terrible Oline this year, but they managed to limit the hits Rodgers took. Chicago had perhaps the worst Oline in the league, and it showed early, but through scheming and a change in game plan, they limited the hits Cutler took in the second half of the season.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Our line may not be bad as it looks in terms of the pass game, but they get no push in the run game on a consistent basis. It was actually sad to see an aging Flozelle come in here and make such an impact in the run game...our line must be bad if that can happen. We definitely need a serious upgrade at one of the positions...

12. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    :this!:

13. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed, but again, playcalling can affect performance of the players. If we had just lined up and ran with power, we would have been more successful. Instead, every running play we used had the left guard pulling and blocking to the right. It was so predictable as we ran that play far too often. We also don't have a guard capable of pulling effectively, so calling that play just isn't smart.

We do need to fix the Oline for sure. We desperately need a top rated guard, but my point still stands, we have the personnel to have a much more balanced and effective offence than we have had the last 5 years. Nothing but shotgun and 7 step dropbacks isn't really ideal. At some point, a little creativity needs to be used. We have TE's and RB's who can catch the ball, there's no reason not to use them.

14. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    At this point, I like Fichtner. Firstly, I don't buy into all the talk around here of him being in Ben's back pocket as mush as Arians was. Second, I like what I've seen about Fichtner's enthusiasm and ability to spread that enthusiasm to others. Third, after hearing "we don't make halftime adjustments" for several years, I like the fact that Fichtner is good at making adjustments.

15. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    None of those on that list, We can do better.

16. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    no chance of this happenning, but i would love to see chan gailey as the o.c. here.