1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who do you start Sunday?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by EnglishSteeler, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Duck

23 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. Rudolph

28 vote(s)
    54.9%
  1. EnglishSteeler

EnglishSteeler Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2019
    Rudolph or Duck?

This isn't asking who you think will start but personally who you would start if you were picking the guys that suited up.

For me I would go with Duck, after the Cleveland incident it feels like a free shot to start Duck and "rest" Rudolph

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I guess there is another way to look at the situation. He was under heavy pressure from the Browns for much of the game. Rudolph can't play any worse than he did vs the Browns. 4 TO are about as bad as it gets. I don't see the Bengals being able to provide that kind of pressure consistently.

The coaches are probably going to stick with Rudolph until he hits rock bottom.

3. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree, it will be Mason, and that is probably the right thing to do. This is why I'm not a coach (well one reason of many) because, at this point, I would start Duck just to see what he could do. When the Duck did start, there was no fear in him, and I admire that trait!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think sometimes playing without the burden of expectation is a big help. If he's a bit of a gunslinger, it helps even more. I guess the issue would be, when he was put in before, there were no expectations because he was the 3rd string QB. If he's going in as the named starter, or at least 2nd string, then it's reasonable to expect results.

I'd go with Mason for now simply because of the number of new bodies we've had to bring in at WR and RB. Not saying Duck couldn't handle that, but building on the what chemistry is there is probably better than starting again at this point in the season.

But like Jim, this is why I'm not a coach...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I go with Rudolph, but the leash is short.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    After the clowns game my thoughts were Mason has to sit down but the more I have read on here and thought about it I am thinking we go with Mason. So he had a stinker last week with 4 int's but before that he had 4 int's in 6 games and 2 of them were good passes off guys hands. I mean we are talking about a guy who is in his 2nd year, so he had a bad game have we not seen that before? I mean didn't Ben have a 5 int game not to long ago? Does Mason need to get better heck yeah but so does the OC and how about a little help from the receivers?

If Mason comes out like last week then we need to make a change at half but this is still his 7th start on an injury ridden team. This is as good of a get good game as we are going to see, so let's give him a chance. jmo

7. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I voted Duck but maybe you give MR the first half to see if the whack to the head and ensuing controversy might light a fire under him. But like I said in other posts, I don't see how the incident could all of a sudden make him start throwing off his front foot and start leading receivers as if his ball gets there instantly.

Great idea! If the coin flip is heads, start MR, if it's tails start Duck!

• Like Like x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Everyone thinks this game is going to be a walk in the park right?! :lolol: Remember who is coaching this team. The bungles would like nothing more then getting their 1st W against us.

As far as who is starting its going to be Mason. Hopefully with this depleted offense Fitchner can muster up a game plan that works. If this offensive line plays of late its going to be a long day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  9. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I want to see Duck play again. But, I think I'd probably still start Rudolph, as much as it pains me to admit it. He's had more practice in this offense, and this team needs all the consistency it can get.
    But if he is struggling, the leash is short. He gets a half to prove the Browns game was just a bad night.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    With this coaching staff, nothing would surprise me.....nothing!

• Like Like x 1
  11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Rudolph. Truth is... Duck would have been a "sitting duck" vs. Cleveland. 2nd string QB is always the messiah around here until he loses. :facepalm:

Steelers were destined to lose that game no matter what.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  13. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Just out of curiosity I want to see how Mason bounces back after everything on Thursday.

Like others have said, if he's made nothing happen by halftime, it's Duck time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Duck could not have been worse and his confidence and composure may have made a big difference!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey EnglishSteeler.

Up to this point, I have been, and am still in, the "Mason Camp". I have to admit though, I did not like what I saw from him during his last game. Hopefully it was an anomaly. Given that, he was playing above average IMO. He was keeping mistakes to a minimum. Any losses that we had when he was starting can really be more so blamed on other players. I will not go into which games, and whom, as I have already done that and it is counterproductive now. Except for Red-Zone efficiency (which even Ben has had issues with) he was fine. I do not think we should play musical QBs at this point. Now, if he really fudges up against the Bengals then maybe I do lean towards a switch.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

16. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'd give Mason a chance to be varsity. If he can't get it done then let him chew on it over on the sideline.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You got to let Rudolph play the year out, you have to see what we have.
    I think the offense has lot more issues than just QB, we don't have talented depth at the skill positions.
    I don't think Duck would fare much better with what we have on offense.

But, I think the Steelers like Hodges and would like to keep him around. But, he can actually leave and go to a different team at the end of the year, he is actually only here on a one year deal.

18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    1 write in vote for Paxton Lynch.

He is on the 53 man roster; and knows how to throw from under center.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You have to let Rudolph play out the season . He needs time to develop. Many people are counting on Ben next year. What if he doesn’t come back? You just wasted 6 games of MR development playing musical QBs. If Hodges is the answer some people think he is ,he will have time to prove it during camp next year. There are bigger issues at play with this team offensively than MR having his first real bad performance. Any QB would be struggling with the lack of weapons,running game and good pass protection. Something has to be available against opposing defenses. We have to take whatever is being given to us and then make them adjust. I don’t see any sort of plan by our OC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Look at Darkness trying pour cold water all over this red hot playoff run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Wrong. That was LousyFan looking at the big picture.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I did not realize this. Had they kept him after training camp and traded Dobbs then (if there were any takers), would he then be under the regular rookie FA contract? IDK, just asking. Nor saying he is the future, but damn shame if that blip causes us to lose him.

23. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well if Mason is our future QB there is no question who to start every game regardless of performance. Has to gain experience if he is going to be under center for the next 10 years.

If the Steelers are going to flip-flop QB's all season long we will never have Ben's replacement and will pretty much suck. Should Mason suck these last 6 games that second round pick may need to be our future QB.

• Informative Informative x 1
  24. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Duck. Period.

Some of you are saying let's give him another chance after that bad outing. We have been saying give him another chance all season. He hasn't looked ready for prime time. He hasn't been given the best supporting cast. Granted. His WR's have sucked at times. Accepted. But if he throws accurately and they drop passes, then it's on them, not him. He hasn't been able to make the throws he needs to make in order for the blame to shift away from him.

And some of you are looking for a bounce-back game against the bungles. What kind of bounce back are you looking for? Against the worst team in football. Does playing better or worse competition make your mechanics better? Does throwing 0 int's against their secondary mean you had a good game?

Some are advocating putting him on a short leash. For what? Here Mason, bounce
    And lastly, sback from potentially the worst game of your life against the worst team in football. But if you can't cut it against the worst team, you're on the bench. No pressure. Oh, and by the way, you're going to have to bounce back with an even more depleted offense and a center you have had 3 days to work with. Your career could be riding on this. Again, no pressure. Just go out there and do better than you have this year with less.

And lastly, if he goes out and has his best game of the season, there will be an asterisk because it's the bungles. It proves nothing.

There is as much reason to have MR start against the bungles as calling a pass play deep in your territory down 14 with 8 seconds left on the clock. So yeah, MR will definitely start. But he shouldn't. Period.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  25. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Imagine 10 years of “this” mason lol

he won’t have a head left