1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who are we...?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by oldschool, Oct 28, 2018.

1. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    So, the offense is coming along a bit better, but they don't seem like a well oiled and high powered machine. Not championship level. Not like the top 4 or 5 teams who look like lightning.

And we all know the defense is very mediocre at best.

I feel like we are a heavyweight contender with a beautiful knockout power punch who doesn't exactly know how to use it perfectly. A heavyweight with a glass jaw.

If we land first we're on good footing and might pull it out. Buuuut, if we get rocked first (and early) we get knocked around and can't pull it together with solid legs again.

I like these last three wins but, I'm always scared we're gonna get punched in the mouth and get TKO'd

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Offense is like a 10 cylinder engine that has several pistons misfiring all the time.

Defense is a old engine that takes a while to fire up, or never turns on at all.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    There's a lot to improve on when it comes to cleaning up the penalties & execution. I have absolutely no confidence Mike Tomlin will get it fixed. He's all talk no action coach...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Danthesteelersman

Danthesteelersman Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Panthers Chargers Pats and Saints are going to destroy us. Ravens on the road will be tough... 9-6-1 at best I believe of we can pull off the win in Baltimore.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I would not use the word destroy. If the Panthers come into the Burgh and "destroy" us I'll be back to give you high praise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The stupid penalties and team not looking prepared are signatures of a Tomlin coached team. Blame the players for not executing but looking like they haven't witnessed the other teams defense happens far too often.

The same thing with the slow starts, it is on the players but a head coach is supposed to fix these things or at least look as if he is trying to fix them. The slow starts are agonizing to watch but the same drive ending penalties show up in every single game and it happens multiple times, this team is just poorly coached even though they win but that poor coaching is the reason they stall in the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    We'll see who we are next week. You obviously have to beat who is in front of you but Cleveland did not provide a test in any way. Baltimore came in here and shredded us ,how we respond will say a lot. They will be a realistic,competitive opponent. Cleveland isn't....

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    We will beat at least 2 of those.

Probably Balt and panthers or chargers/CAR.

But yea NE is a loss, until I see otherwise

9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I get what you're saying, but I'm not sure our results this year have shown that to be completely true. The Ravens game is the only one I think we completely staggered through. That was embarrassing. The Chiefs game the offense woke up, although the damage was done by then.

I predicted before the Browns game that they'd play well for 1 and a bit quarters, which they did. We saw this against other teams as well - we tend to check out for part of the game, and then start firing. Some of that is on playcalling (some dubious ones on offense early on in the game, much better in the second), some of it on execution (thinking of the early dropped catches in particular, and the big runs Chubb was getting early on).

We're not alone on this. Even the "top" teams in the NFL rarely play amazingly for the entire game - though that doesn't tend to show up in the highlight reels.

The key thing for the Steelers is, the trajectory is upwards at the moment. Defensive communication is improving. Butler is calling less foolish defences for now. The offense is working out ways to get everyone involved. The penalties remain irritating.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    lack of intelligence team wide. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Go 'lers

Go 'lers Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2015
    I agree with the assessment but for what it's worth this was the first week where I felt that this team was "likable" again. Maybe being a likable team won't be THE thing that saves us in a playoff game but our locker room is coming together.

We are not as drama-filled and this group is accountable again. That feeling may seem like fluff but the one thing I've felt that was holding this team back from being a contender was that they were not headstrong enough.

I believe they finally are!

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    How is Danny Smith still coaching ST? That kickoff after our safety was embarrassing. Kids in middle school football know its a live ball. Stupid.

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree that the locker room atmosphere is important and most times overlooked but at the same time I'm not so sure we've reached a comfort level there just yet. We have a pretty big enigma hanging over our heads and that's the return of Bell. It will be a interesting dynamic for sure that can greatly impact it either way.
    What's more important is the teams preparation moving forward. We are still seeing the abysmal slow starts and the penalties still need to be cleaned up and you can chalk us up for a couple of real bonehead plays every game. These factors will have a bigger impact on our future success. Being headstrong should give them the ability to take advantage of the opportunity they have to correct their issues and take their preparation to another level. That goes for the coaches too. We have guys coming back and getting healthy that can provide a nice boost to the team if incorporated properly.

14. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I ask this pretty much every year.

The guy must seriously have a compromising photo of the Rooneys or something. Or maybe the gum industry will go bust if he leaves.

15. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Right, which might be why Smith assumed our professional returner would know it, you know, since he has a job solely because he is a returner.

16. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think Bell is nearly as big an enigma to the players as it is to us fans.

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm pretty sure you're right

18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers seem to be overall getting better in a lot of area's that were bad earlier in the season.

Big Ben and AB seem to be on the same page. Conner is tearing up with Le'veon Bell type of numbers and play. JuJu was down a bit yesterday, but he has been solid most of the season. The line is dominating in the running attack, and for the most part keeping Ben clean. Vance McDonald is staying healthy for once, and has found a nice niche in the offense.

Defense, pass rush (to me anyway is better than expected) But, they had no luck against the better and or more talented QB's. Mahomes and Flacco. They need to get after Flacco this week.
    Run defense is improved. We are not getting killed on the ground like we were the end of last season.
    The improvement needs to be Turnovers. We aren't getting much. It be nice to force some more fumbles, and pick off some passes. We have to be in the bottom of the NFL in forced Turnovers as of right now.

To beat the Ravens, Panthers, Saints, Patriots, Steelers will have to bring the A game. No slow starts, no turnovers. No 100+ yards on penalties. If they do that they can play will them and possibly beat them.

Doing some stupid things and turning the ball over you can beat bad teams. But, your going to lose making those mistakes against good competition.

Call it crazy but I think the whole Bell saga, brought these guys together a little more. What is going to be interesting does it stay that way once he returns?

Should be an interesting 2nd half of the year.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Exactly. This is what kills the Steelers every time vs. the Patriots. Against the Browns and Bengals, Steelers can get away with a couple of turnovers and still win. Against the Patriots... 2 or more turnovers is impossible to recover from because they are so good at scoring after a turnover.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Nice assessment and pretty spot on. I still have major concerns about this defense against the upper echelon of QBs. The ones with a solid gameplan to exploit our weaknesses and the ability to deliver the football accurately and on time. In other words the chess players with the solid QB/OC connection.
    Unfortunately this team seems to have to win by talent and grit as opposed to preparation and execution.
    That means having to bring your A game....

21. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    We are a talented, but undisciplined and consistently slow-starting team that seems to put ourselves in a 7-14 point hole before waking up. Against poor or mediocre teams we can turn it around in the 2nd half and win comfortably.

I just fear that against good teams (i.e. playoff teams) we will not be able to overcome our slow starts and will be 1 and done if we make the playoffs.

The margin for error for this team is so small that a slow start, turnovers, penalties, which have been the team's MO so far this season will quickly make victory close to impossible vs teams like the Pats, Chiefs, Saints, Rams, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Heinz is that you?

23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Great post. Not sure about putting Flaggo(def. pass interference) in with Mahomes though. He is the weak link of the Rats imo.

24. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You just cursed McDonald and he could now be out soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Based on the thread title I was expecting this to be a philosophical discussion.