1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who’s Running This Circus ?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It appeared to me that they were trying to make it look like they didn't undermine Tomlin who had said Arians job was safe.

Just more examples of dysfunction because that something that Art should have spoken to Tomlin about immediately after the season that he wanted a new OC.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    I seem to remember another Pittsburgh team not too long ago known for having a "country club atmosphere." Changes were made and the team won back-to-back championships. Most important of all, the team learned discipline and how to keep their composure under pressure.

3. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    That’s the real Rooney rule.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I get what you’re saying, but I’m not just talking about minor discipline like sitting a player (with pay) like he did with AB in week 17. I’m talking more about real discipline that hits a player in the pocketbook like a suspension w/o pay for conduct detrimental to the team. I don’t know what did or did not happen, but it would not surprise me if we were to find out that Tomlin was asked to try and smooth things out with AB without imposing any real discipline for his earlier transgressions. After all, they have paid him a lot of money, and had a lot of cap dollars tied up in him.

Also, the Eli example wasn’t a good one. The Giants were out of contention, Eli was playing his typical mediocre ball that he’s been playing for years, and the Giants were in a position to test drive their new draft pick to see if he could cut it at the NFL level. They handled it poorly, but it’s a different situation.

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Geno Smith?

6. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    They sat Eli for Geno Smith. They didn't sit him for a shiny new toy. Going back to the Giants though, an interim GM did suspend Eli Apple for 1 game. I would think if an interim GM had that authority, then so does a 12 year coach. Tomlin did virtually suspend him in week 17 though. We'll never truly know what kind of power Tomlin has obviously. He definitely doesn't have full authority over hires/fires like some, we know that, but I would think he has full control over the players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yep, my bad on Geno Smith. Forgot that one. Still doesn’t change my view that our lack of discipline for stars may run higher up in the food chain than just Tomlin. I’m not defending him. I’m just saying that I think the problem doesn’t stop at his level.

8. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    It’s almost like he’s being put out there to show he does have some authority. At least that’s what they’re trying to portray imo.

9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And yet despite the evidence this is a such an alien concept to this ownership. Changing the head coach could potentially make them better? That's crazy talk! We'll just keep doing what we do.

10. Trafalgar

Trafalgar Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2016
    I think the players know Tomlin isn't qualified to be a HC and the problem has started right there, the locker-room ****-show has gotten worse every year. Nothing will change, it will be the same dysfunction next season.