1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Which WR would you pick in Round 2?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Cbus Steelers, Apr 30, 2014.

1. Allen Robinson

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Jordan Matthews

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  3. Donte Moncrief

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  4. Davante Adams

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Cody Lattimer

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    For this poll, assume we don't take a WR in Rd 1 and that all of these guys will be off the board by #97. Who would you prefer, if you had to take a WR, at #46? I'd take Moncrief...think the guy is a beast.

2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I chose Matthews but moncrief would be just as good. those two along with beckham are really the only three I like in round one or two. well besides watkins

3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I chose Moncrief since he's the only guy I see as a play maker at the next level, with the possible exception of Adams. I think that Matthews could be a good possession guy though. Any of these guys would be good, but Moncrief has the most upside of any of then IMO.

4. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    I chose matthews.....can't ignore his bloodlines

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I took Matthews, but to me it's razor thin between Matthews, Moncrief, Latimer and Robinson. Any one of those 4 guys would be a nice pick up. It's just a matter of flavor of WR you prefer. I went for Matthews because I think he's the most polished and pro ready of the 4. One thing about Moncrief and Latimer - they are both excellent blockers, and would not only help in the run game, but could also block well on the edge in front of WR screens. I haven't watched Adams, so I can't comment fairly on him.

6. kakhatesmortgages

kakhatesmortgages Well-Known Member

May 6, 2012
    I picked Matthews. If he was gone, I would be equally happy between Adams or Moncrief...

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I chose Moncrief he can block also.

8. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Yes I think Moncrief can really excel in our system and embrace the Steeler way. His size and strength remind me of Boldin. Would love if he ends up I'm Black and Gold.

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I like moncrief and Matthews but I keep leaning towards Bryant in the 2nd for some reason.:cool:

10. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup. When first researching prospects back in Dec/Jan, I thought to myself "we need a beast at WR, like Boldin", and it just so happens that Moncrief was the first of very few names written down. I'd be all for taking him in the 2nd.

11. Kevin James

Kevin James Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2012
    I voted other, cuz I want Benjamin. But, if i did have to pick out of these guys, it would be Moncrief.

12. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I would take Adams over Moncrief, Robinson and Lattimer, but its Matthews in a landslide. I think Matthews is a legit 1st round talent. I'm still shocked at how undervalued he seems to be. I still think a smart team will take him near the end of the 1st/early 2nd. If SF doesn't trade up, I think they snag Matthews at #30.

13. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I'm in for Lattimer or Robinson. I've watched a lot of Robinson, because I watch a lot of Penn State games. He is a player. Fast (Not blazing fas), but strong as an Ox when he goes up for a ball against a DB, isn't afraid to take a hit, decent hands, and what I like most comes up in the clutch, he made an amazing catch against Michigan on the final drive to tie the score. It was that there that had me sold on Allen Robinson.

14. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I am completely blown away!!!!!!!!!!! I mean before I voted "other" had 3 votes and Cody Latimer had 1.......................

For me it isn't even close, Cody Latimer. He's 6'3" with a 39" vertical and having been a basketball forward he is more than use to going up fighting for the ball. He has solid hands and can flat out fly. Battling a left foot injury he still played the season and ran a 4.44 40. He has since ran a 4.38 40 with a healed foot. Did I say he's 215 Lbs, loves to block and by the way, he put up 23 reps on the bench... that's 225LBs ( more than his own weight) 23 times.........

He's the perfect fit for us, size, strength, build, speed, hands ......... He's also a junior so he's younger too.

He will be gone by the time we draft in the 2nd, sad to say, he may go at the end of the 1st, but if he's there in rd 2, its a no brainer, you run to the podium, RUN!!!!!

Cajun-

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't fact check him but if Cobert is to be believed, juniors have a harder time adjusting to the NFL, he said its one of the most immature drafts he can remember. If you are looking for an immediate impact, a junior might not be the way to go.

I'd go with Matthews, he's more polished and I feel he's better anyway, IMO.

16. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    What Colbert has said is true. I'll add WR is one of the most difficult position for a rookie to learn in the NFL. Learning the Route tree, matching up against NFL CBs and defensive schemes and learning your own entire playbook, pass & run.

For the above reasons it rare a WR is an "impact" player his rookie season. Randy Moss's rookie season being the exception. Now can they contribute and have some impact? Sure.

I fully expect wheaton to explode this year. I also expect J. Brown to make the 53 have have a good season for us this year. My thing about Cody's age is we DON'T need him this year and by his 2nd year he'll be challenging Wheaton for the #2 spot. In fact I believe by the end of Cody's rookie contract he'll be a #1 WR for some team. Even if that team is us.

Cajun-

17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't know if I see what you do I Latimer, Cajun. Now, I don't watch tons of IU games, but what tape I've seen hasn't impressed me a bunch... Maybe I need to take another look.

18. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Here's a few. Enjoy.
    [video=youtube;0_1V0C1FfmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_1V0C1FfmU[/video]
    [video=youtube;2GsDaZOK4_M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GsDaZOK4_M[/video]
    [video=youtube;vYjgSGvNKJ8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYjgSGvNKJ8[/video]
    [video=youtube;Mu-UFQCGah4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu-UFQCGah4[/video]

19. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks TTF, I appreciate the footage.

He's a real nice blocker, and he made a few good catches in there too. I think he's solid. I still like Moncreif and Matthews better though. From the look of things, it seems like he will go before both of the two I like better... So what do I know? Lol

20. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I chose Matthews without a moments hesitation.I'd be running to the podium if he were available at #46.

21. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
  22. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Same here.

23. obxsteeler

obxsteeler Active Member

Mar 25, 2014
    When you talk about adjusting to the pro game you might want to consider who coached Robinson his last 2 years.

24. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree with this. However, and I know mac pointed it out in a different thread, why is Matthews not a 1st round lock? He is for me. And maybe teams are seeing it different than media, but I haven't seen too many Big Boards suggesting Matthews is a 1st round talent, and frankly I don't get it. Size, Speed & Production.

What might we be missing?

25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I think his build and his lack of "elite" type explosiveness may have something to do with it.

An interesting bit of trivia on Matthews- the only reason he got a spot at Vanderbilt is because Bradley Roby decommmited and switched to Ohio State.