1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Teams Should The Steelers Look Out For In 2017?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by AskQuestionsLater, May 2, 2017.

1. Green Bay. Aaron Rodgers makes the impossible possible

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  2. New England Patriots. Bill Belichick always has something

33 vote(s)
    82.5%
  3. Baltimore Ravens. We usually split but those splits are very important

6 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. Cincinnati Bengals (Or Vontez Burfict specifically)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Kansas City Chiefs. Always a tough, tough game

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Brews Crew

Brews Crew Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    All of them because I am sick of them losing to bad teams!

2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Then why do you even bother being a fan of the Steelers :shrug:

3. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Hmmm.. Interesting.

The Patriots do rule the AFC. That much is true.

However, dragons can be slain if the knight has the right tools to do sk. The 2015 Denver Broncos showed that with their superb defense.

In my eyes, our defense is now ready. All they need is some gametime and continuity. Once that is achieved, barring injury, the Patriots can and will be slain yet again.

4. Nafsteelers

Nafsteelers Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2015
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I'll always be a fan... but I'm realistic. Currently, the Steelers simply don't have the personnel and defensive scheme to compete with the Patriots when Brady is their starting QB. Add to that the overrated offense that can't score TDs in the red zone against the better teams (Patriots).

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The offense didn't have Green or Bryant in the AFCCG, also Bell got injured in the 1st quarter.

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Not sure I toss Freen into that thought. Not like he was a long time integral part of our offense. Agreed though, he showed signs.

9. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    But the Steelers don't have a defense either so the Raiders can score all day too!!! Remember New England, ZERO passes defended, ZERO.

10. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    The Steelers defense is ready???? And what planet are you living on? Still have no CBs that can cover man to man, and the best pass rusher the team has is going to be 39 and no depth along the D-line, yeah our defense is ready alright.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Are you assuming then spending 10 million a year on a top flight corner would help the defense then? Furthermore, we do have man to man corners. Their names?

Artie Burns

Ross Cockrell (more so to schematic changes but still our best corner)

Cameron Sutton

As for your pass rusher comment, that is also incorrect. Bud Dupree would have had double digit sacks had he been healthy last season. Adding TJ Watt with Harrison and Dupree will further boost our pass rush from good to great.

What is needed is a great defense capable of playing well enough to win. That is what we now have. An elite defense will come in 2018 for certain.

So, to counter your rebuttal with my own, I do believe our defense is ready for another shot against New England.

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think the better question would be, which teams should be on the lookout for other than our division. Cincy and Balt are always tough.

But anyway, I think Tennessee made some big acquisitions in FA and added some nice draft picks. Mariota will be healthy and Murray and Henry are a tough tandem at RB. I think that's going to be a tough game. Plus it starts a 6 game patch of opponents that are all legit. Tenn - Green Bay - Cincy - Balt - New Eng - Houston. That stretch will determine a lot of playoff seedings and how we are looking heading into the playoffs.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers defense is improving, they did't have Heyward or Dupree for the majority of the season. Also the 3 rookies who started on defense last should get better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelCityThor

SteelCityThor Member

Apr 15, 2017
    I don't think there is much of a question of who we should watch out for. New England is going to be a SUPER SUPER Superteam. They have the best roster in the NFL and I think we have the second best roster. And NE is on a hole nother level than any other team. Would not be suprised if they went undefeated.

15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015

I disagree. I can think of 5 other teams who have better rosters not including the Patriots. There's probably more.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Outside of possibly Atlanta and Seattle, name the five.

Not being facetious here either.

17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Green Bay, Dallas, Houston and Denver. I'd take Houston and Denver's D over ours anyday of the week and I'd take Green Bay and Dallas' offense over ours. And you're definitely right about Atlanta and Seattle... both of those teams, like the Patriots, are better all around.

Raiders have a better offense than Steelers with Carr at QB. If the Raiders improve on D this year, they will be with the Falcons, Pats and Seahawks... better all around.

The Steelers problems on defense have been well documented since the exodus of the '05/'08 superstar/champions. Steelers offense lack of effectiveness stems from the gradual decline of Roethlisberger and primadonna, selfish skill players.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I also consider the Titans an up and coming team that could be better than the Steelers in '17. I dread the Titans and Bears games. These are the games the Tomlin-era Steelers are great at losing. These games are "Playoff Bye/#1 or 2 seed Killers" for the Steelers....:facepalm:

19. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'd worry more about the teams we play that have losing records, we tend to underperform against the weak teams while still being competitive with strong ones.

20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Except for the Patriots.

21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  22. SteelCityThor

SteelCityThor Member

Apr 15, 2017
    I can't name another team with the level of talent that we have and that the Pats have. And I doubt that anyone can name 5 teams that have a better roster than us.

23. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The team the steelers should look out for is the steelers......more often than not, we beat ourselves...... protect the ball, and pay attention to detail on both sides, and we can beat anyone