1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Players Should be Added for Depth?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by MorrisFoster, Feb 12, 2016.

1. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Later rounds like 4+ are there some players at RB, OL or DL that would be solid depth players for years to come?

2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Max Tuerk immediately comes to mind for OL in the 4th. Will have to check more for others that I like.

• Like Like x 1
  3. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I'd like to see Marquise Williams QB brought in especially if he goes UDFA

• Like Like x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Pimping those UNC players :smiley1:

• Like Like x 2
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    no. no cardell jones either. jeeeezzzz. i can't believe NC won that many games with him. maybe as a RB.:smiley1::cool:

6. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    PWP will agree with me
    so...
    he is a possible multi threat
    not sure if he is stubborn to only be a qb , don't think so tho
    I'm talking udfa jones would cost us a pick asofnow

nextyear I will be pushing for Ryan Switzer

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm interested in seeing the kid we just picked up and i wouldn't mind the kid from bowling green as an udfa. :smiley1::cool:

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Some guys I wouldn't mind are, Hogan QB Stanford, Hall CB N. Iowa, Byard SS M. Tennessee, as time passes I am sure there will be more added.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This should be a quality not quantity type draft for the PGH Steelers. Lets go all in,
    we are working with a short time frame.

10. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

My thought every pick no matter how many we have should be quality! I don't care what round, there is so much info out there good scouts/talent evaluaters should be able to find good players. There are like 250 players selected in the draft out of how many players to choose from? Just need to make sure the people doing the scouting find the right ones. I feel our last draft was pretty good with Chickillo and Walton being picked in the 5th and 6th. Now here we are in a different thread talking about these two stepping up next year.....

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  11. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Dri Archer??????? Mike Adams??????? Jarvis Jones??????

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Not sure what your point is, but if your suggesting these are players we missed on your wrong Jones is still a starter. Yeah he hasn't lived up to all his billing and I am not a fan I am just saying he is not a total bust. The other thing which I mentioned in another thread show me a team that has hit 100% in the draft......waiting.........crickets....crickets.......

I agree we may not like the picks, I hated the Archer pick, I also hated the Golson pick. But since they do this for a living, we are not all going to agree with them and all their picks are not gonna work out. we can't go into this draft thinking we are gonna get guys that can start from day one, how many times has that happened for us. That is what free agency is for, we need to get guys in this draft who are ready to play for when one of our starters goes down or fail. Our 1st round pick whoever it be should be pretty close to being ready and maybe a preseason will help him with that, but we don't ask much from our rookies. Yeah it has happened Dupree got a lot of playing time but was eased into it.

Your right quality not quantity but a lot of times you miss more then you make. It is just the way it is so you may want to get more picks to have a better chance to find them players that make it.

13. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    We are very close to a championship level team, with a short window of oppurtunity.
    We are a few pieces away, do not make any (luxury picks- Dri Archer) is all I am saying.
    I will take 4 FOOTBALL PLAYERS in lieu of 7-8 bodies anyday/any year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Agreed absolutely but how do you know, there is no clear cut way to know if we draft 4-5 players they will be football players? I just think more picks better chance as far as luxury picks I am tossed up. Let's say Archer who we all hated as a pick, turned out to be a sproles like player? Think about that for a second and how it would have changed not just this season but last season as well. We get the solid return guy which has been a weak point and a 3rd down option that this offense could have had some fun with. I am sure when the front office/coaches made this pick they didn't do it cause they just wanted to waste a pick they did it cause with all their info they felt this kid would pan out with what they want to do.

Again I go back to the draft being a crap shoot, show me the team that gets it every time. Where we have to hit it hard since we are very very very close is free agency. I am not talking about big spenders I am talking about good players and more then one of them....they are out there we just need to sign them. The draft is not the Steeler way to find starters for the next season but a way to add depth and ease guys into future starters. jmo

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    this abuse of archer is stupid. we were all pretty excited in the first preseason game when he took a screen pass for 40+ yards. he had a nice run in another game when it was 3rd and 14 and the kid got 15 and a first down on a draw play. he had a couple of others as well. the bottom line is we needed and still do need a return man for punts and kicks. he happened to be really fast and played a couple of positions which was a plus. he was never supposed to be a full time starter. this luxury pick stuff just wasn't the case. we had a need and still do. it just didn't work out for him. it didn't work for jacoby jones either. marcus wheaton did a bad return job too. if it was easy everyone would do it. dri didn't hurt this team at all. we had way bigger draft misses over the years than dri archer. :cool:

16. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I feel tossed up on this, I don't want to draft a guy for just a return guy. I feel we can get guys that offer returning and more. Yeah we were all rooting for Archer we are Steeler fans. I was not on this board when we drafted him but the board I was on at that time went nuts. When we drafted him we didn't know what he was, there was talk(from the Steelers) of him being used as a wr, I was hoping for a Sproles. Dri had health problem which we kinda thought would happen cause of his size. He was nothing special in the return game but he was steady. Looking back I am sure we all realize how valuable being just steady was.

17. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I am still for drafting the bpa. I think we do better that way

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

being from ohio i knew a good bit about him. he was worth the pick at the time and wasn't just a return man though he did very well at it. being a RB and WR were additions. we were in need of some depth at that time. if he would have become a better punt returner it may have worked out better. it didn't and it happens. i agree that there are guys that can return punts that have added value at other positions and we need to find one. frankie williams from purdue is my hope for this year. probably a 7th rounder. he's actually a good corner and safety too. he also returns kicks and punts. before we tried to convert kick returners into punt returners and that hasn't worked so well. dri was that way. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

I think Cyrus Jones is another good fit who has added value. This draft looks like there are more returners who could also add depth, especially at the CB position.

20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Dri wasn't worth the pick at all some had a 5th rd grade on him.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    and tom brady and AB had 6th round grades. you just never know until you pick them and put them on the field.:cool:

22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I am sorry, I will have to agree to disagree on the luxury pick in the 3RD round.NEVER
    EVER in the third. Yes maybe in the 6th or 7th. This pick was never going to receive
    the touches necessary with our line up to vindicate the selection in the 3rd round.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

at that time bryant was unknown and bell was new too. wheaton had barely seen the field. we were still looking to add offense at that point.:cool:

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The difference is those guys produced when they got their chance :shrug:, Archer not so much.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if you could know that before you pick it would be easy.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1