1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Which player should be the pick at #49?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Brycen Hopkins TE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Adam Trautman TE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Justin Jefferson WR

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Jonathan Taylor RB

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  5. Denzel Mims WR

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Chase Claypool WR

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Other

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    you are even talking about a qb amazes me. :cool:

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Matt Canada having success with Mobile QB's is probably fueling the Jalen Hurts hype train. Hurts is not only mobile but he can throw the football. Not as well as Jacob Eason that steelersrule6 alluded to but Hurts is no slouch.

A major reason as to why I would choose Hurts though is his leadership and intangibles. Those are aspects you cannot teach.

3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
  4. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    Gil Brandt's rankings:

5. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If you go by Brandt’s success rate you would think so but there’s always the chance of a curveball too.

6. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It’s taking a big risk with Hurts especially in win now mode. Before Canada I would have zero faith in our coaches to develop a QB so I wouldn’t even dream of taking one with the way this team is constructed. It’s probably a safer strategy to see what Canada can do with Rudolph and maybe even Lynch before we put another project on his plate. Let’s see how the season plays out. Too many questions that need to be answered. We could be in a better position next year to draft a QB , draft position wise and roster wise.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Just because I have stated Jalen Hurts has the possibility of being picked at number 49 does not mean I fully endorse the idea. As Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin stated, he is comfortable with the current QB Room; me the same. If anything, I want Jalen Raegor.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I like Eason, I’d be concerned about his play under pressure though, drops off a lot. We got a look at a couple of guys who couldn’t handle pressure last year. Eason definitely has the tools though if he could grow in that one area.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t know much about him but I’m intrigued by what I’ve read so far. Going to watch some games of him before next week to get a better feel.

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Eason was there at #49 they should probably draft him, the ideal situation would be for him to sit behind Ben for 2 years.

11. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I’m not saying you did. I’m just pointing to other reasons as to why this might not be the year to invest in a QB....

12. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    I don't think Hurts is a NFL starting QB, there is question about him in the pocket and being late on some throws.

13. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    It wouldn't be my first choice, but if the right one is there #49 then might have to think about it.

14. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I watched a ton of Hurts at Alabama. His athleticism and intangibles are top notch. What always troubled me was his reluctance the let go of the ball and his tendency to break from the pocket at the first sign of pressure. Not only did he run out of the pocket, almost every single time he would roll out to the right and essentially eliminate half of the field and his options. Tua showed just how bad of a passer Hurts was and lead to his transfer to OK. He put up amazing numbers at OK and I thought maybe his HC who is a QB whisperer finally unlocked his potential. I didn’t see him play at OK until in the semifinal game for the championship. I was excited to see how far he had come under Riley’s tutelage. I was again disappointed when I saw he was still doing the same thing he would do at Bama when he faced pressure. Rolling to his right and making himself ineffective.

All that being said he does have the physical tools to be a good QB but he will need to have the offense built and focused around his strengths and weaknesses. He will grow and mature some on his own but he will never reach his full potential without some sort of QB guru HC/OC pulling the strings on his development.....just my .02 cents.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Honestly speaking and, as I said in my Top Five by Positional Rankings Thread, even if the board is top heavy; all of these QBs have more glaring issues than what I would constitute as a slam dunk Top 10 pick.

16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Some interesting connections to potential draft picks I just read about. It could be influential with the craziness associated with this years draft.....

Cam Akers......was recruited by Eddie Faulkner
    Michael Pittman.....Tomlin knew his dad
    Antoine Winfield JR.....Tomlin coached his dad ( which a lot of us probably knew already)

might not mean anything but it probably doesn’t hurt.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh... those connections mean a whole lot. Devin Bush Sr. was roommates with Derrick Brooks. Micheal Pittman and Antonie Winfield Sr. were members of that 2002 Bucs Super Bowl Team. Guess who was on that Coaching Staff?! All the more reason I would not be shocked if any of those three are within play for pick 49. Each of them fills a need for the team.

Continuity and familiarity mean far more than others are giving it credit for. In the event that J.K. Dobbins is unavailable, I would opt for Cam Akers. My biggest issue is can he develop a killer instinct when attacking the hole as the holes open up. He did not have many at Florida State which likely lead to a lack of confidence. Hopefully he can regain that but it is tough to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    You must be reading my mind. I hope it's Dobbins but if not there akers. Then anae if at all possible would opt for troy dye. The kid from Wyoming looks like a decent LB too, later on. The receiver I have is a little later in John Hightower from Boise st.. Hope they are looking at Coleman from Texas tech as a hpfa after the draft as a safety. Led the nation in picks last year. Lots of choices in this draft at many positions, even after its over there are some solid players. It wouldn't surprise me if wilkese is the OLB pick from mich. St.. :cool: