1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Which player should be the pick at #49?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steelersrule6, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Brycen Hopkins TE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Adam Trautman TE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Justin Jefferson WR

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. Jonathan Taylor RB

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  5. Denzel Mims WR

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  6. Chase Claypool WR

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  7. Other

15 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    a stud RB. What we have on the roster right now is not cutting it. Can't afford anymore 1 to 2 yard average runs on 1st down. We need a RB who can not only break tackles, but be a threat to take it to the house. Tired of all the pinky finger tackles our RBs seem to suffer. Anyone like a Dobbins, Swift, Taylor, Helaire ...it's on baby!!! Make Connor the 2nd string, Samuels 3rd string ...demote Snell to the practice squad. What do you think??

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Connor showed what he could do on a balanced offense in 2018. Last year our passing attack was less feared than during the Mark Malone years so defenses were able to focus exclusively on stopping the run. We cant fault Connor for that. Injury issues of course is a factor in draft strategy.

Samuels is ok backup. I think us fans tend to over rate him because of one great game.

Snell probably wouldn't clear waivers, and would be poached if he did end up on the practice squad. Considering how little practice time he had with the starting line he was effective.

Im not against drafting a RB first but there are so many othwe

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. LambertsDentist

LambertsDentist Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2014
    I'm not against drafting a RB with our first pick but only if that's the best player in a position of need available. Reaching for a position is what got us Artie Burns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I hope your right.

5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I would not object if they took a RB at pick 49. Everything that @LambertsDentist said above regarding teams stacking the box against us in 2019 is correct though. It was very difficult for the running backs to operate. I thought Snell did well towards the end of the season. Having Ben back and the addition of Watt will help the running game as it is.

I think they should pick a running back at 49 or not at all. If they are picking one they need to be better than Conner and Snell, I’m not sure you’ll get that in the fourth round, no point in adding another body like the guys we have for the sake of it. Look at some of the backs from round 2 in recent years, Cook, Mixon, Kamara, Henry, Chubb etc. There seems to be a myth prevailing that you can get excellent backs every year in later rounds but apart from one draft in 2017 when Jones, Carson, Ekeler and other were picked late I don’t think the hit rate is very high once you pass round 2-3, generally speaking.

I’d like somebody with breakaway speed and good receiving skills to complement Snell / Conner and eventually become the feature back.

6. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The fastest way to improve our running game is by improving the OL first and foremost. While Wisniewski was a solid pick up he’s up there in age and hasn’t played much the last couple seasons. We could use a stud G and or a G/C prospect. I don’t remember what thread I posted in about playoff teams and their RBs but the gist of it was teams are getting it done without top picks at RB. Conner is a example of that. The only question is health and I admit it’s a big one but when healthy you can win with Conner. He is very good when healthy and he was a 3 rd round pick. I expect Snell to make a jump. I think Samuels may have a bigger role with Canada in house. Watt should help. Whyte may be a effective change of pace. Ben will help the running game. What I’m getting at is we have a lot of positive variables that should help the running game without having to spend our highest pick on a RB

I think the 4th is a good spot to try and upgrade the RB room. Drafting someone to upgrade Samuels or Whyte and adding better talent to the room isn’t the worst idea. There are a few backs that should be available at that pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    BPA @ one of RB,OL,DT,LB

8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I don’t think they picked up Wisnewski to be a starter, I think he is that depth at G / C

They will probably put Feiler inside and give Chuks his opportunity at RT. They did this vs the Chargers last year and it worked quite well, Conner had his best game of the season that night. If Chuks can’t take that step forward then Wisnewski becomes the default LG and Feiler moves back to RT but hopefully Chuks is ready. Taking Foster out of that line will be an improvement regardless, I love the guy but he was a liability last season.

9. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree but at the same time we were using Banner as a extra blocker to cover the Tackle. It remains to be seen if Okafor can handle the one on ones and if he has the footwork to play on a island. With the addition of Ebron and probably double TE sets our Tackles will be on their own more often. I would prefer to leave Feiler where he is and improve the G position but I understand kicking him inside is a realistic option. How much of a training camp these guys actually get may unfortunately dictate certain moves and whether they will have the practice time to be playing musical chairs. That goes for a lot of potential moves they may be considering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    NFL DRAFT
    Sporting News Seven Round Mock Has Steelers Going RB At #49
    [​IMG]
    ByAlex Kozora
    Posted on April 10, 2020 at 1:28 pm

[​IMG]

Sporting News did the legwork of a seven round mock draft and gave the Pittsburgh Steelers a predictable, popular selection at #49. They have the team taking Wisconsin RB Jonathan Taylor with their first pick of the draft. Author Vinnie Iyer writes:

“The Steelers are in the market for an upgrade in the backfield given James Conner’s durability issues and pending unrestricted free agency in 2021. Taylor (5-10, 226 pounds) has great vision and burst as a runner. He also doesn’t get enough credit for what he can do as a receiver, which was on display more during his final college season.”

A fair assessment overall, though we’ve cast doubts on exactly how eager the team is to find another running back this season. Still, if Taylor slips to #49, he’ll be on the team’s radar and a difficult player to pass. Iyer makes a good point to highlight his improved hands and versatility. His reception numbers spiked from eight in 2018 to 26 last year.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Just how durable is Conner?? I agree with a RB pick.

I'd love to get a Brady in the later picks but that magic only happens once a century. I really can't see Ben playing 16 games, not even close and IMO Mason is a back-up at best. Never know though, Ben could have a decent year. Sorry but I fear our division big time. I use to know we were the beast in the AFC North, not anymore. Bengals about to get a damn good QB, growing pains yes but his time will come.

At this point I'd be happy with 0-16 if this damn country would just get back to normal!!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Sign me up for 0-16 too...Collapse for Corona .....Tank for Trevor. Win/Win

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Our needs are far greater at other positions. Trying to replace one of our RB's before taking care of our other needs is wrong.

The OL stirs this drink. The offense runs through the QB. A healthy Ben behind a competent line raises the production of the ground game regardless of who totes the rock. Defenses knew we were dink and dunk at best because of inferior QB's behind an underperforming OL last year. They stacked the box and gave our RB's nothing to work with/through. The potential for a balanced offense forces defenses to play honest. Our current stable is more than enough to energize a ground game with a competent supporting cast.

All that to say that we do not need to change/upgrade our running backs, especially with our best picks.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Jalen Raegor sent his Pro Day video to the Steelers via a request by the team. That said, it will be interesting to see if he makes it that far. Definitely reminds me of Santonio Holmes.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    With where receivers ended up going last year, who knows but I’d be surprised if he lasted that far.

I want Shenault but apparently the cat is out of the bag and has vaulted into the first rd. I’m hoping he somehow finds his way onto our roster.

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

One aspect that is working in our favor is how stacked the Offensive Tackle class is. In addition and, oddly enough, as I have stated in my Top 5 By Positional Rankings, this draft is going to be very top heavy. Lots of possible Round 1 talents will get pushed down for certain. Now, whether or not that nets us Jalen Raegor at pick 49 is something that is up for debate. Beyond him though, Devin Duvernay from the University of Texas has not only track speed but some smooth hands to go with it. He is definitely worth a look in the late rounds.

18. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    As much as I want focus on the foundation of the offense and not skilled positions, I would take either of them at 49. JuJu needs an AB replacement. Unless DJ or Washington makes a big leap from last year, they're not it.

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
  20. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  22. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    If there is a worthy QB there, I’m not against it.

I have no confidence in what’s behind Ben and we got a taste of life without him.

23. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I was completely against drafting Hurts before the combine but he showed much improved accuracy during the passing drills. There is no question about his arm strength and running ability.
    After sitting behind Ben for two years Hurts could be the QB of the future for the Steelers. I'm looking at our division with Jackson, Mayfield and Burrow. Hurts could give us a young extremely talented QB to compete with those guys in the future. Drafting him wouldn't be a safe pick but it could pay off down the road.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Eason has the tools, size and arm strength, he needs NFL coaching as far as pocket awareness.

25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would not be opposed to the idea but only if he makes it that far. Besides, the team already expressed full support of Mason Rudolph. However, an argument is to be made here.

Kevin Colbert also stated he would not rule out any possibility on whom to select back in 2018. Whatever talent that falls to them I am sure the team will have done its homework on. That said, if by some chance that Grant Delpit is there..... I would give him consideration.