1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Which player on defense needs to step up the most?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, May 20, 2018.

1. Tuitt

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Dupree

23 vote(s)
    54.8%
  3. Davis

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. Burns

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. Watt

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  6. Vince

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. Hargrave

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. Haden

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I agree and have said that from the start. I think Vince is a backup and I still think that. I believe the Steelers think that too with the contract Vince got as the heir apparent to timmons. :cool:

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

They will not be. However, Tomlin did say before the 2018 NFL Draft that they will have Burnett start out at Free Safety and will also let Sean have some time in there as well.

Tomlin, Butler and Bradley will then base the decision off of that. Realisitcally though, I believe the plan is for Sean to be the Free Safety and Burnett be the Strong Safety as his best work can come from in the box. Given the fact that Burnett is better suited for that position anyways, having him at Strong Safety and having Davis at Free Safety can solve two equations with one solution.

3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2017
    Totally agree!I understand he was injured last year and that did make a difference in his play.We know he’s capable by his play the year before.With his contract he’d better step it up and hopefully will be healthy!I can’t put Dupree in the same category as Tuitt because he only shows flashes of being a decent linebacker so I can’t tell what he’s capable of on a consistent basis.For a first round pick he’s a bust so far.Hopefully he becomes the player we drafted him to be!

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Would Dupree be a better inside player especially if adams plays well with watt. Maybe they try it some.:cool:

5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

As much as I would enjoy Dupree using that legendary explosive ability he possesses within the interior, I would steer clear hard from doing so.

There is no guarantee that Dupree picks this up instantly. Furthermore, I would rather the team try to find or possibly trade for someone as opposed to moving Dupree inside anyway. Keep in mind Pittsburgh did accept his fifth year option. Dupree has to show out on the edge this season or be shown out the door.

Now, much of this is going to be up to Butler if he still wants to drop his linebackers into coverage as much as last season or less and have them rush the passer more.

6. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I still think Watt would adjust to the move inside better than Dupree, though I'm not sure there is much reason to think either guy do well with the move aside from the Steelers' history with such changes. This came up on another thread, but they've done it quite a bit. Levon Kirkland, James Farrior and Lawrence Timmons all made the switch inside.

Edit: I was going to include Chad Brown, but he switched the other direction. He started at inside linebacker for the Steelers, then moved outside.

7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I dont necessarily think it's the players as a whole. I think its 2 things ... one is out of anyone's control (injuries) and the other, we are currently addressing (communication). You get these players healthy and on one accord ... and we have a top 5 defense in the league.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's a bit much, but it can certainly be average or a little above. They need some huge improvements by many individuals to get to that level. Right now, this team is below average at inside linebacker, they don't have a consistent pass rusher at outside linebacker and they don't have a No. 1 cornerback. Also, given some of the players on the team, getting them healthy is a significant roadblock. They have a few guys who have had trouble getting healthy, including new arrivals Bostic and Burnett.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Moats too. He played both throughout his career. Dupree did do it some at Kentucky. Would move Vince back to a reserve. I don't know but Dupree has a lot of athletic ability and speed, he wouldn't have to call the defense from that position, that would still be bostic.:cool:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Tuitt had trouble staying healthy at ND too. We did get an addition to strength and conditioning coach. Maybe it can help. :shrug::cool:

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Wouldn't Dupree have to be able to shed someone trying to block him inside? He doesn't do well when a lineman gets his hands on him. Am I missing something about moving him inside?

12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Nope, Watt and Dupree are learning each other sides in OTAs. They will probably flip flop this season.

13. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    They don't want the tackles to get used to blocking just one of them. This way they have to prepare for either guy, which is harder to prepare for each guys tendency's. It still doesn't mean they couldn't put in packages with Dupree moved to the inside, they did it with harrison from time to time. :cool:

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    They may try it you never know, but imo, I don't think it would be successful. Instincts and football IQ are more in demand for an ILB and Dupree doesn't have either from what I can tell.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Harrison wasn't a rohdes scholar.:smiley1::cool:

16. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    No he was not, but I don't honestly remember JH92 playing at ILB. Was it an occasional snap on some blitz package or did he practice there to help out when others were injured? Is that what you are talking about or did he play sustained snaps there during the regular season.. Must have been during one of my blackouts..lol I'll be the first to admit I don't remember everything but JH92 at ILB must have flown right by me. Not saying you are making it up by any means, I just don't remember it.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It still isn't going to happen with Dupree at ILB, if they want to switch things up at ILB they will probably use Edmunds or Marcus Allen.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Probably right 6.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    He played ILB early in his career and they used him that way just a few years ago in some packages. In this age of package football I would have to consider it.:cool:

20. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    The stats say Bud Dupree with a landslide. I voted there also, but just because this is a make or break year for the guy. It's not that he is a bad player or doesn't make plays, but he just hasn't hurried the passer up to par as much as everyone has expected. Also making big time money, it's easy to see why he's under scrutiny this year.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I like Williams a lot as a player and a person actually, but I personally saw a huge dropoff from Lawrence Timmons. I know people have given up on LT and I'm a fan, but where there was a strength before I started getting concerned.

With that said, he is a functional player. He does make plays. You're right though he had a tough game against the Jags, and he even admitted it.

22. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Unfortunately you're right. This kid has a lot of pressure coming out the gate to prove himself in a role that is experimental. While there is always high expectations for first round picks, the stakes are higher for him this year.

Kind of feel for him a bit as he seems like a good guy that wants to meet the expectations. As he is the answer for helping fill the void for Ryan Shazier the expectations are very high.

23. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Watt nor Dupree will get double digit sacks

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Dupree at ILB :lolol:

25. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    A couple of seasons ago one of our esteemed colleagues was push hard to move Jarvis Jones inside. Hmm.