1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Which player gets a contract extension first?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Tuitt

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. AV

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  3. Bell

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I go with Tuitt.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Tuitt for me.

Have to keep that defensive core as long as you can. Big Al and Bell are needed but Pittsburgh does have contingency plans for both if negotiations go south or if both are injured. Do not have that with Tuitt.

Arguably the best defensive lineman under 25. He has done his part. Pay him first. Big Al should be next. Le'Veon is more than likely going to get tagged.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Based on the word "first" I have to go with AV. They are working on it for him. I've heard nothing on Tuitt but it will come. Bell is going to play the year on the tag. Possibly next year as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    "Juice" has not signed the tag yet, and you would think that if they can afford it... that they would try to sign him long term...first.
    Next, tuitt because he is a monster for us. Because, we all know that signing him before Juice will cause some serious ripples and discontent. We have no one to replace Tuitt but we have no one to replace Juice either.
    Now AV, has about 2yrs left on an inexpensive contract. Technically, we can wait on him and we have a replacement for him.
    With this being said...the Steeler top heads will go just totally opposit of my mindset...they care not about ripples. This is business...lol
    Tuitt, AV, and then Juice....next year

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    In my view it will be, and should be, be AV. Not taking anything away from Tuitt, but the O line ihas developed great chemistry and continuity, and we need to maintain that continuity to have that 30 ppg offensive explosion we keep hoping for. With Heyward and Hargrave already here, Tuitt's role on the defense is less-difficult to replace than a LT IMO (note that I said "less difficult", not "easier"). Bell is a great player, but I am expecting a situation where he plays on the tag and is a free agent next year.

6. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm not sure who they will sign first but I really think they probably consider Bell the top "priority" in signing. Although I really, really, hope Tuitt gets a good deal.

7. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    It should be AV, he has the most important position next to Ben on the offense, he's responsible to keep Ben safe in the pocket from the blind side and if he doesn't do it, Ben gets injured and misses games, and there is nothing more important than keeping Ben on the field...

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    AV

• Like Like x 1
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I did not think about Bell having not signed the tag. When he was not at OTAs, he is not technically a player.

10. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    He is also rehabing from the groin surgery he had 2 months ago in March, obviously he needs to take it easy for a while before camp starts.....

11. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    Latest new on Bell today:

When will Le’Veon Bell show up for the Steelers?
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 4, 2017, 10:53 AM EDT
    [​IMG]Getty Images
    With exclusive-rights free agent (i.e., not a free agent at all) Alejandro Villanueva unsigned but nevertheless showing up for offseason workouts, exclusively-tagged running back Le’Veon Bell hasn’t. The question becomes when will he?

Under the rules of the labor agreement, Bell can stay away until only days before the regular-season opener in Cleveland and still collect the full $12.1 million he’s due to earn under the franchise tag. The Steelers can’t do anything about it, with one exception.

At some point, the Steelers can rescind the tender. It would make Bell a free agent, and the longer the Steelers wait to do it the harder it will be for Bell to get anything close to a deal that averages even $10 million per year. The running back market remains well below what Bell will earn this year, and even a star player like Bell would be hard pressed to cash in, especially after offseason workouts or, if the Steelers wait to rescind the tender until September, after training camp and the preseason.

By then, depth charts will be set and budgets will have been exhausted and the oft-injured and twice-suspended Bell would potentially end up with a one-year deal at best that would fall far short of $12.1 million.

In the interim, the Steelers will get to see what other running backs can do in an offense with a solid line and a potent passing game. Whether it’s Fitzgerald Toussaint or Knile Davis or rookie and fan favorite James Conner or someone else, the Steelers could decide to save millions by severing ties with Bell, if they believe that the others will be close enough.

To date, there’s been no indication that the Steelers would do it. A year ago, there was no indication that the Panthers would rescind cornerback Josh Norman’s tender, either.

When these decisions happen, they’re made and executed swiftly, given the possibility that the player will catch wind of it and pounce on the tender. For Bell, whose end game may be to reluctantly take the $12.1 million after the July 15 deadline for signing a long-term deal comes and goes, the risk that the tender will be withdrawn lingers until he accepts it.

If he ultimately decides to exercise his right to not show up through training camp and the preseason, that risk will necessarily grow.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Florio is a freaking moron. :facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
  14. Diamond

May 26, 2012
    I think Florio brought up some good points, is Bell trying to make the steelers rescind their tag so he can get FA status? Is Bell going to be a hold out by not signing his tag until the reg season opener, so there are questions as to why he hasn't signed his tag and if it drags into training camp will the team call his bluff and pull his tag?

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There is absolutely no reason for Bell to be there. He had surgery in March, take as much time as needed.

And pulling his tag is insanely stupid. They have a rookie and two back up RB's to take his place.

16. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    When the article talked about us "seeing what we have" in Fitz I knew he was an idiot. I think it's pretty clear what we have in Fitz in comparison to Le'Veon.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    That's historically not how they do business. Bell has the right to wait to sign. They will respect that right.

JMHO