1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where to focus in the offseason?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Feb 5, 2017.

1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    So the season is over. Here is the breakdown for contracts according to http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/pit/

Le'Veon Bell Running Back 2017: Free Agent

Le'Veon Bell is a free agent in the offseason? If that's true get this guy signed. It'd be foolish to not do so. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. I'm amazed they don't have this guy locked in already. Maybe I'm reading it wrong or the site I posted is bogus. Don't know. If this guy leaves the team, this is a HUGE failure IMO.

Ross Cockrell Defensive Back 2017: Restricted Free Agent

According to the official depth chart, this guy is our starter. I think he played ok. Not sure I'd enjoy seeing him go. I guess it all depends on how much the Steelers would pay him. I definitely liked our turnout of our rookies last year in S. Davis, and A. Burns. I'm not sure who doesn't. I'd be nice to get stronger in the secondary though.

Jordan Dangerfield Defensive Back 1/28/2017: Signed a one-year contract

Another DB that looks to be up.

B.J. Finney Center 2017: Exclusive Rights Free Agent

Interesting to note that this guy is our only backup on the Steeler depth chart for the positions of Left and Right Guard as well as Center. I think he played pretty good as a backup, which on the offensive line. It'd be nice to see us sign him.

James Harrison Linebacker 2017: Free Agent

Mmmm interesting. I like the guy. Hope we can sign him again. Still being productive with the pass rush. Doesn't matter how old he is. Hopefully 1 year deal contract could be agreed upon.

Chris Hubbard Guard 2017: Restricted Free Agent

Our starting left Guard. Obviously our offensive line is a highlight of the team. Would love to see us keep him although Finney did play at a high quality caliber in my opinion.

Landry Jones Quarterback 2017: Free Agent

I think the writing is on the wall for Landy. Wish him the best. I think I read an article that pretty much we're not going to re-sign the guy.

Jarvis Jones Linebacker 2017: Free Agent

I think everyone agrees that he hasn't performed at the caliber of a first-round pick. He's probably going to want big money, but in my opinion isn't worth it. Let him leave and have some other team overpay him.

Shamarko Thomas Defensive Back 2017: Free Agent

Shamarko was the projected starter at the beginning of the year if I remember correctly. Now he's apparently not even on the depth chart http://www.steelers.com/team/depth-chart.html

Not sure if I missed something, but obviously time to let this one go if he's still on the roster.

Lawrence Timmons Linebacker 2017: Free Agent

I LOVE Timmons! I saw a post earlier in the year that was slamming him for playing terrible. I just don't see it. I think if we let him go, we are going to no doubt be weaker against the run up the middle. Shazier has excellent speed, and catch runners in the backfield, can cover pretty good, and can run side to side; but he's not the greatest up the middle. I think it is particularly due to his size.

Timmons is a beast. I remember one goal-line stand where he was the one that put the final hat on the running back keeping him out to the endzone.

I hope we can get this guy signed without breaking the bank. He's like 30. I still think he has a couple years left in the tan.

Stephon Tuitt Defensive Lineman 2017: $1,048,560, 2018: Free Agent

I think Tuitt fits our defense well. He's shown to be a presence on the line and win one-on-one match ups. I'd like to see us get this guy signed for something reasonable for his role.

Cam Heyward is locked into a long-term deal. It'd be nice to see Heyward and Tuitt on the line.

DeAngelo Williams Running Back 2017: Free Agent

This guy was productive when Bell was injured, which is expected to happen. I hope we get him re-signed

Thoughts, concerns, ...